IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Movement Speed Increase For Bg2, Considering a Somewhat Modest Movement Inc
Movement Speed Increase in BG2?
You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Total Votes: 62
Guests cannot vote 
Nathan Hale
post Jun 20 2009, 07:29 PM
Post #1

Original BG First Release Player
Group Icon

Group: Admin
Member No.: 124

After talking about some of the complaints about moving speed being too slow in BG2, we've talked it over and are considering increasing the movement speed by a bit. It won't be a huge increase-- but rather a small, but noticeable increase in movement speed for all classes. Would you like to see this?

I'll briefly put up the first couple arguments on the matter:

-Against: History and realism tend to show that these guys carried a lot of gear into battle (well the line infantry did anyway). Movement ought to be slow because of that fact. This isn't "colonial agro deathmatch". A small movement speed increase wouldn't be realistic.

-For: Even if they did carry a lot of gear into battle, that doesn't necessarily translate to the very slow movement speeds in the game. The fact of the matter is that we really don't know EXACTLY how fast these guys moved because the movement speed probably varied depending on where they were and how tired they were. In order to reflect the fact that people CAN move faster if sufficiently motivated, there ought to be at least a little increase in speed to balance out the heavy gear issue. Realism dictates we shouldn't have rapid full speed sprint movement at all times, but realism would allow for a small increase here, while at the same time making the game more fun to play. Realism actually counsels a small increase rather than the same stagnant slowness.

These aren't all the arguments, but just something for you to consider. I'm for realism and history, but frankly realism could go either way on this issue, provided we're not making these guys HL1 Gordon sprint speed.

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Commander James
post Jun 20 2009, 10:20 PM
Post #2

Da-MiGhTy

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,523

hmm here is my opinion, maybe it sounds abit harsh but I have no clue how to say it in a soft way
as first nathan why you doing this polls there are like 15-25 people who will vote so its sensless, and you are unfortunately one of the devs so just do what you want you already ruined bg2 and keep ruining it with ironsights and co.
and to be honest who cares about realism (sorry for this) except people like you who always used to suck in game and this linebattle freaks care about realism ffs its a game what should make fun when u want realism go to the army

for me 1.2.1 and 1.0f was kinda perfect the speed, melee wasnt fucked up it was just fun also the maps were good balanced but anyways its just my opinion - would be cool when could start a poll like should be bg2 more like bg1 tongue.gif

--------------------
YOUR LOVE MAKES ME STRONG. YOUR HATE MAKES ME UNSTOPPABLE.

+Quote Post
Nathan Hale
post Jun 20 2009, 10:45 PM
Post #3

Group Icon

Well what we might be able to do is to make ironsights optional at the server's call-- that is you don't HAVE to use ironsights in your server if you don't want to. That would allow players to choose to play with IS or not by picking what server they go to. I'll talk to HP about this, but it might be a good option because IS has proven to be very divisive. That way people who like realism can get the realism of ironsights, but if you like the older style of play, then you don't have to enable IS on your server. I'm not totally sure if this could be done in the code. HairyPotter knows about code more than me. But I think that might be a more fair deal than just forcing IS on everyone (even people who don't want them). We could certainly see if it's possible and if can do that, give it a try.

--------------------

+Quote Post
gRanTeLbArT
post Jun 21 2009, 12:11 AM
Post #4

aaaaaa | TRR scream team
Group Icon

Group: Retired Team Members
Member No.: 3,115

Ironsights are good. You cant say they suck before you have played with them

--------------------
The Elders have foreseen victory this day!
Member of the TRR scream team.

+Quote Post
ducnan
post Jun 21 2009, 12:48 AM
Post #5

whitebread

Member No.: 13,354

Yeah the ironsights are nice. I voted yes for the movement speed, a little faster would be cool.

--------------------

+Quote Post
analord
post Jun 21 2009, 01:47 AM
Post #6

BG's number uno

Member No.: 6,981

yh make it faster

--------------------
Vitali Rapflow: frodo
Vitali Rapflow: find the ring
Vitali Rapflow: now
Vitali Rapflow: go
Be Blue ! Dallan disconnected.

+Quote Post
Cpl.Kieth
post Jun 21 2009, 02:31 AM
Post #7

#1 fanboi

Member No.: 7,417

would you only be able to shoot if you were iron sighted?
and does this mean there is no crosshairs for melee :S ???

--------------------
I can put a fucking iron triangle in your head from 9ft away with my long land pattern brown bess flintlock musket.
* K *: YA I GIMP SHIT TOo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QH2-TGUlwu4

+Quote Post
Nathan Hale
post Jun 21 2009, 04:17 AM
Post #8

Group Icon

The plan with IS is this:

-regular crosshairs around for melee and for when the gun is in non-IS mode. In IS mode, cross hair goes away. Shooting in IS is same accuracy as now. Shooting from the hip is inaccurate
-if we can get in the "opt out of IS" command, then it would be the same as it is now for those who opt out of using IS
-melee will be a bit quicker with the movement update, of course

--------------------

+Quote Post
erich
post Jun 21 2009, 08:40 AM
Post #9

Me

Member No.: 3,837

I'm for a DOD style sprint system.

+Quote Post
izzysinz
post Jun 21 2009, 10:00 AM
Post #10

Lieutennant

Member No.: 6,934

Vaguely agree with CJ for a change.

Although it was not the devs who ruined the game.

+Quote Post
{22nd} Maj. Twys...
post Jun 21 2009, 10:59 AM
Post #11

Private

Member No.: 13,304

I voted to increase the movement speed.
But why not add fatigue and stamina into the game?
As you said, Nathan, that it depended on the amount of gear they had and their morale, so why not just add a sprint button and stamina?
This will keep it realistic and still increase the movement speed.

+Quote Post
{22nd} Sol
post Jun 21 2009, 12:25 PM
Post #12

Captain

Member No.: 7,000

There already is stamina twyster...
I think there should be no sprinting... but that's just my opinion.
And from izzy and CJ, you are two people who once again self professedly hate/never play bg2 :S

--------------------

+Quote Post
Plazek
post Jun 21 2009, 03:27 PM
Post #13

Corporal

Member No.: 13,208

I think it is fine how it is.
There are more important things to work on.
Besides speed can be changed easily by other people like with the old alt patch (Well I assume easily compared to other changes).

I just dont think it will make much of a difference. But it will mess with peoples skills which might piss em off and make em quit the game.
It a pretty drastic change cause it will effect melee combat and shooting. It really soemthing that neds to be tested not just have a random poll on.

+Quote Post
Flask
post Jun 21 2009, 04:14 PM
Post #14

Royalist

Member No.: 2,089

QUOTE (ducnan @ Jun 20 2009, 05:48 PM) *
Yeah the ironsights are nice. I voted yes for the movement speed, a little faster would be cool.

Agreed.

+Quote Post
Quite Churlishly
post Jun 21 2009, 09:37 PM
Post #15

Towne Crier

Member No.: 5,548

I think the speed differences need to be widened a teeny bit more.

--------------------
Openly admitting to being a "troll" and I hate children. Just saying!

+Quote Post
DivaBebopinYou
post Jun 22 2009, 01:03 PM
Post #16

The Real Sobe Pimp Daddy!

Member No.: 6,828

This game feels more like an Arcade/Realism mod. I like that. With the Iron Sights in it, it gives some Realism and the movement speeds as well. I think they are good where they are at and increasing them is ok in my opinion. I think this game has captured the Arcade and Realism styles to the point where it is going to be really fun from now on when the new release is out.

But, from what I have played, the speeds set on the 3D server is a good example. Thats how they should be set.

--------------------

+Quote Post
AGENT
post Jun 22 2009, 11:00 PM
Post #17

AP Clan Founder
Group Icon

Member No.: 13,219

speed!!!!!!!!!! I wanna go fast!~!!!!

--------------------

+Quote Post
!ToX! Reaper
post Jun 23 2009, 12:54 PM
Post #18

bg1 > bg2 FOREVER!!

Member No.: 6,705

bg1 had the right speed.
plus who really cares about realism? bg1 was a great game, 1 of the greatest games in my eyes, where as bg2 sucks ballz.

also i dont like the idea of a new class, tbh the only class needed is the infantry.
i fully believe bg2 should just be a better looking version of bg1.
bg1 never got bored and the community was very close everyone knew each other, in bg2 everyone hates each other and pubbers believe their good at the game and thats just never true.

bring back bg1 i say its much better than bg2 smile.gif

--------------------
Always Be Blue !

yeah, i do still lurk sometimes

+Quote Post
Tribal Sniper
post Jun 23 2009, 02:33 PM
Post #19

King of thieves!

Group: Banned
Member No.: 6,824

QUOTE (!ToX! Reaper @ Jun 23 2009, 07:54 AM) *
also i dont like the idea of a new class, tbh the only class needed is the infantry.

Yep, the speeds are nothing compared to BG1.. That's why the game favors the bayonet for range and everyone plays all mega defense lol. I vote you make bind s "kill" and not able to change it for new release. blink.gif

--------------------
Bł ! - www.bebluebabies.haxx

+Quote Post
gRanTeLbArT
post Jun 23 2009, 04:49 PM
Post #20

aaaaaa | TRR scream team
Group Icon

Member No.: 3,115

Well what's the problem really? Can't adapt to something new? I've seen players like Plexi have as much damage as their whole other team together. The speed doesn't seem to be such a big problem at all. If you can't do it then just shoot people into the face.

--------------------
The Elders have foreseen victory this day!
Member of the TRR scream team.

+Quote Post
DivaBebopinYou
post Jun 23 2009, 08:07 PM
Post #21

The Real Sobe Pimp Daddy!

Member No.: 6,828

QUOTE (gRanTeLbArT @ Jun 23 2009, 05:49 PM) *
Well what's the problem really? Can't adapt to something new?

Lol. They just want to play some quakesource. haha. I like BG1, it was a sweet Mod. BG2 has its perks as well. Its feels more alive in BG2 then in BG1. All the devs really need to do is make it better every new release till someone goes, "Hey! Lets get this on Steamworks!" heh.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Seeker
post Jun 24 2009, 05:23 AM
Post #22

Private

Member No.: 13,359

QUOTE (Commander James @ Jun 20 2009, 03:20 PM) *
hmm here is my opinion, maybe it sounds abit harsh but I have no clue how to say it in a soft way
as first nathan why you doing this polls there are like 15-25 people who will vote so its sensless, and you are unfortunately one of the devs so just do what you want you already ruined bg2 and keep ruining it with ironsights and co.
and to be honest who cares about realism (sorry for this) except people like you who always used to suck in game and this linebattle freaks care about realism ffs its a game what should make fun when u want realism go to the army

for me 1.2.1 and 1.0f was kinda perfect the speed, melee wasnt fucked up it was just fun also the maps were good balanced but anyways its just my opinion - would be cool when could start a poll like should be bg2 more like bg1 tongue.gif

dick

------

Please increase the speed. btw iron sights are the way to go.. it worked well for DOD:S too.

+Quote Post
bombodrom
post Jun 24 2009, 05:07 PM
Post #23

Admiral

Member No.: 11,339

well the speed is perfect u guys are nubs
y dont ban CJ from teh forums ?!

--------------------

+Quote Post
!ToX! Reaper
post Jun 24 2009, 07:09 PM
Post #24

bg1 > bg2 FOREVER!!

Member No.: 6,705

yes we can get get good damages in the game, coz the ranges havent changed much so all the bg1 payers know the distances well.
but the game is alot less fun than bg1, and making the game play faster will add fun to the game.
look how long bg1 survived, making bg2 more like bg1 is the best way to go.
i was a die hard bg1 fan i played everyday so that i could get good, because in bg1 if u were noob u couldnt shoot ppl or stab them, so the pros pwnt all the new members.
i remember the first time i saw Dallan and svn in a pub match, they were amazing and i wanted to get as good as them.
as well as CJ being the best defensive player in the game.
having a big gap with noobs and pro was a boost for me. in bg2 now, all ppl need to be able to be in learn the distances and they will do really well in the game.

plus faster = better smile.gif

--------------------
Always Be Blue !

yeah, i do still lurk sometimes

+Quote Post
BoDSmOKe
post Jun 25 2009, 05:58 PM
Post #25

Lieutennant

Member No.: 6,877

Finallyyyyyy Hale !!! Ok here is what i say about this .9 side .9 back speed would be perfect . .7 and .5 are to slow .9 all the way around it would be a lot more fun . ""It won't be a huge increase-- but rather a small, but noticeable increase in movement speed for all classes"" Noticeable to me as i have tested almost every speed would be .9 side .7-.9 back speed. That is not a huge increase and makes for a lot more fun .. Would also bring back some bg1 players to bg2 because you are now able to side step a bit instead of only RANGE KILLS.

I have been waiting for the day a dev brings this poll up . Maybe you guys are not so bad after all . LOL

I don't see a problem with the iron sights i thought it was good fun its something new which can't hurt !

Good Day

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd September 2019 - 08:22 AM