Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Bg_saratoga, Prerelease
Predator
post Feb 28 2006, 12:25 AM
Post #1

Mapper

Group: Members
Member No.: 778

Well, I decided to release this. I removed one side path to make the map smaller, but if its still too big I might release another version with no side paths. This map was originally designed with the moral system and a different spawn system in mind. It might be, too big, but with a full 32 person server I bet it would be sweet. Anyways, let me knwo how it plays and if anyone has problems.

Download HERE!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Nubbits
post Feb 28 2006, 06:56 AM
Post #2

Sergeant

Member No.: 3,629

Quite a beautyful map. It is really large though, will be interesting to try it on a server later. You will eventually include advancing spawns, right?!! When they are working properly.

Did you build cubemaps? The floors in the buildings looked a bit weird, the way they can do without cubemaps.

+Quote Post
Predator
post Feb 28 2006, 08:37 PM
Post #3

Mapper

Alright... Cut off some areas of the map to make it a little smaller. It doesn't take long to get to the center area, I dont think atleast. Anyways, this version is a bit more polsihed and runs a little smoother. I also took some pics, hope you like em...

IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image

DOWNLOAD BETA 2 HERE!
PLEASE TEST!!!!

+Quote Post
3DDEATH
post Feb 28 2006, 09:58 PM
Post #4

Major

Member No.: 2,430

going on 3D now!!!!

--------------------

QUOTE (gRanTeLbArT @ Aug 25 2007, 02:47 PM) *
I will tell you what I think, this is horrible. Like all the other remakes of BG1 maps. There is a reason why we do not do that in any form. Do not bother to remake old bg1 maps. BG1 was a totally different game as draco pointed out and the maps are not going to work out on BG2.

Rejoice in thy youth,soon it will be gone

+Quote Post
Forlorn_Hope
post Mar 1 2006, 12:24 AM
Post #5

Cat Herder in Chief
Group Icon

Group: BG Dev. Team
Member No.: 2,023

This is probably the greatest BG2 map I've run around yet. The map is large enough where shooting is actually a major deciding factor in the game and melee is used for quickly taking a posistion, which will of course need to be defended by battle hardened (AKA: wounded) troops reloading and shooting as quickly as possible.

The map is huge. You'll need to actually work out tactics with your team *gasp*. The map will work with 10 people to a side or 30 people to a side. (5 would be rough, but an organized clan could do it.) The map is detailed and has had love and care go into it, and by hell it shows.

--------------------
"There will be no more naked sunbathing." An actual rule for the base I was on, in the middle of Afghanistan.

"Forlorn basically said everything right." Codename:V

+Quote Post
DerMann
post Mar 1 2006, 12:42 AM
Post #6

The Man Who Broke the Bank at Monte Carlo
Group Icon

Group: Retired Team Members
Member No.: 2,689

Nicely done. However, I notice an FPS drop near all the clumps of orange coloured trees. I too like the fact that it gives you enough room to move around, but it's not like bg_ruin in 1.2.1 where it's too big. Your map is just right biggrin.gif

--------------------

"Whatever happens, we have got, the Maxim Gun, and they have not." - Hilaire Belloc

+Quote Post
Predator
post Mar 1 2006, 01:47 AM
Post #7

Mapper

I will probably delete a tree or 2 in the bad areas. Maybe replace them with a lower poly one. I notice that the more models rendered at the same time, regardless of poly counts, seem to drop the frames a lil extra. Ill see what I can do. Maybe ill mess with that fort, too...

+Quote Post
trebor
post Mar 1 2006, 04:01 PM
Post #8

Lieutennant

Member No.: 4,126

TITS, gjob pred been waiting for this one, now all i need is a low ping server thats rdy to move away from some of the older maps... the DL link is b1 is it updated?

This post has been edited by trebor: Mar 1 2006, 04:05 PM

+Quote Post
Predator
post Mar 1 2006, 04:10 PM
Post #9

Mapper

Let me know when you guys want the B3. Ill try to post it ASAP. I noticed some laggy areas that Im gonna smooth out a lil. Please test and please post an areas that are dodgy. I have really fast gig of ram, so its hard for me to test this map properly.

+Quote Post
Black Panther
post Mar 1 2006, 11:07 PM
Post #10

everybody loves

Member No.: 6

Works fine, still huge and beautiful smile.gif

Only things I noticed were some lighting/shadow problems and bad fps in certain areas as you already said.

+Quote Post
Predator
post Mar 6 2006, 04:59 PM
Post #11

Mapper

Well, I had to remove the lake path. During palytests, most palyers had no idea that the lake even existed. Now im going to try and incorporate the scenery of my original side paths into the basic path of the map. Ive been kind of busy with mid term exams, but I did get a little start on it. Here are some pics of that clif lake from the original version of saratoga.

IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image

+Quote Post
Flask
post Mar 6 2006, 09:01 PM
Post #12

Royalist

Member No.: 2,089

That lake was actually one of my favorite things about the map. cry.gif Oh well, at least I can still look at the lake from a distance via the main path or something?

My only suggestion is that you add some more background terrain in the skybox because the map ends far too "abruptly" at certain corners. A little more undergrowth would be nice too. flower.gif

+Quote Post
Predator
post Mar 8 2006, 04:49 AM
Post #13

Mapper

Ive been working on saratoga a lot as of late. I increased FPS all over the map, I removed the lake path, I added more grass, more bushes, I added short stone walls... and a few others. Anyways, hope you like the changes. Here are some pics and the download for b3.

IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image

DOWNLOAD BETA 3 HERE!

+Quote Post
tomdon
post Mar 8 2006, 08:59 AM
Post #14

:(
Group Icon

Member No.: 3,649

QUOTE(Predator @ Mar 1 2006, 01:47 AM)
I will probably delete a tree or 2 in the bad areas.  Maybe replace them with a lower poly one.  I notice that the more models rendered at the same time, regardless of poly counts, seem to drop the frames a lil extra.  Ill see what I can do.  Maybe ill mess with that fort, too...
[snapback]18216[/snapback]

This is more than likely due to the alpha planes on the trees. You will find that the swap buffers take a hit when you have lots of trees in one place. Theres not a whole ton you can do about it.

+Quote Post
Predator
post Mar 8 2006, 02:49 PM
Post #15

Mapper

This is more than likely due to the alpha planes on the trees. You will find that the swap buffers take a hit when you have lots of trees in one place. Theres not a whole ton you can do about it.

By all mean please test the map for smoothness. By that I mean, is there any places in the map where the FPS drop significantly. MY comp can handel with map with 56+ the whole time, so Im not sure what areas are bad.

+Quote Post
3DDEATH
post Mar 8 2006, 10:09 PM
Post #16

Major

In rotation on 3DBattlefield server for testing.

--------------------

I will tell you what I think, this is horrible. Like all the other remakes of BG1 maps. There is a reason why we do not do that in any form. Do not bother to remake old bg1 maps. BG1 was a totally different game as draco pointed out and the maps are not going to work out on BG2.

+Quote Post
Forlorn_Hope
post Mar 8 2006, 11:28 PM
Post #17

Cat Herder in Chief
Group Icon

Group: BG Dev. Team
Member No.: 2,023

You took out the lake? D: I recommend you put it back in, but a bit closer to the flag in the center, but with some sort of view obscurer.

--------------------
"There will be no more naked sunbathing." An actual rule for the base I was on, in the middle of Afghanistan.

"Forlorn basically said everything right." Codename:V

+Quote Post
3DDEATH
post Apr 2 2006, 10:01 PM
Post #18

Major

Well Saratoga back up and running and looking good

This post has been edited by 3DDEATH: Apr 2 2006, 10:02 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
MassacrMan
post Apr 9 2006, 02:29 PM
Post #19

Lieutennant

Member No.: 4,300

Nice bump.

+Quote Post
Predator
post Apr 12 2006, 04:27 AM
Post #20

Mapper

Sry, I took a short break from BG. I was somewhat busy with other things. Anyways, I have been working on new side paths. The new paths will be much shorter and less "out of the way" so-to-speak. They will act sort of like the old bg_forestroad's side paths. Each team has one on their side. These paths lead towards the center of the map to create a protective path to flank the center flag. And trust me on this, these new paths are definatly easy to get to and worth taking. One reason is because I'm going to try to reintroduce one-man-cap-flags on these side paths. Therefore, players who want a quick way yo increase their cap score can take these routes and then flank the middle flag. Another reason involves flanking the enemies spawn flag. If you control the other teams side path it will lead to the flank of their spawn/1st flag. Anyways, this should be interesting, and I hope you can all help me out by testing it. I'll try to get it ready in a few days...

BTW :: I changed the lighting/sky a little bit. Not sure about the 3D sky box yet. I need the slight fog... Anyways, these new paths will be very usefull when I have my spawning system in place!

[EDIT]

Here are some pics of one path I'm making. It's almost done...

This post has been edited by Predator: Apr 12 2006, 03:12 PM

+Quote Post
Predator
post Apr 14 2006, 01:46 AM
Post #21

Mapper

Sorry for the delay... I ran into a rare error with lightmaps and displacements. I finally fixed the problem, so I'll release the new version soon. I have to make a few optimizations, shorten the map slightly, and create a new 3D skybox. Anyways, both side paths are done and looking nice, but one side path requires the new 3D skybox to be complete. ANyways, I'll post the new version, BETA 4, as soon as I get it done.

+Quote Post
Predator
post Apr 18 2006, 02:55 AM
Post #22

Mapper

Here are some new pics of bg_saratoga on BG 0.16!

IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image

DOWNLOAD BG_SARATOGA_B4 HERE!

This post has been edited by Predator: Apr 18 2006, 07:39 PM

+Quote Post
Predator
post Apr 18 2006, 07:41 PM
Post #23

Mapper

Credit goes to Seebaer on the sweet windmill model, hope you all like the new version. This will be in 0.16 for sure wink.gif

+Quote Post
jackx
post Apr 18 2006, 08:12 PM
Post #24

midnight devcult phenomena
Group Icon

Member No.: 1,223

looks less and less like saratoga, even if you allow for the fact that it's a condensed version of teh entire later part of the campaing, but it also looks better and better... can't wait to play this, even if it will kill my pc. smile.gif

--------------------
no truth - no justice
all false belief
blinded by morality
there shall be... no peace
no peace!

-------

+Quote Post
CR[+]SSHAIR
post Apr 19 2006, 10:27 PM
Post #25

Corporal

Member No.: 2,378

This map is fun to play. I like the hugeness, not as bothersome a walk as the old bg_ruin although I like ruin. And you aren't getting stuck on other people and obstacles like a lot of other Source game maps where areas seem wide enough but end up having a bunch of guys getting stuck on each other and being a big blob of enemy fire bait. Nice map.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th January 2019 - 09:41 AM