Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Popularity Down?
TheDude
post May 10 2011, 12:09 AM
Post #1

Private

Group: Members
Member No.: 14,806

I do understand a large portion of players are either playing later in the night (EST) or are from Europe. But when I first started BG 2 you couldn't find a server that didn't have either a skirmish going or at least a giant line battle. But now it's usually one maybe two servers going at once and it never really fills past 30 for both. I'm just curious on where everyone went? did they just get bored or waiting for the next major update?

It's just really sad to me because of the amazing job that is done on this mod and it definitively deserves more of a look for some people to fully get into what it the games all about. Maybe it's just not advertised enough around the internet. Everyone that plays it should get the word on all sites as I did on Reddit and my other sites I frequently visit.

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Quite Churlishly
post May 10 2011, 01:56 AM
Post #2

Towne Crier

Member No.: 5,548

QUOTE (TheDude @ May 9 2011, 07:09 PM) *
I do understand a large portion of players are either playing later in the night (EST) or are from Europe. But when I first started BG 2 you couldn't find a server that didn't have either a skirmish going or at least a giant line battle. But now it's usually one maybe two servers going at once and it never really fills past 30 for both. I'm just curious on where everyone went? did they just get bored or waiting for the next major update?

It's just really sad to me because of the amazing job that is done on this mod and it definitively deserves more of a look for some people to fully get into what it the games all about. Maybe it's just not advertised enough around the internet. Everyone that plays it should get the word on all sites as I did on Reddit and my other sites I frequently visit.

Well. I can only speak for me but playing this game for long has taught me this: it's boring. Development being slow, tired and repetitive maps, a general lack of competition between clans (na) and the old guard's disinterest is championing the dwindling population.

I myself am currently in a position which renders me incapable of playing, and honestly I really do not feel I am missing much. Then again that's because I've yet to see any substantial innovations to this mod. /realtalk

--------------------
Openly admitting to being a "troll" and I hate children. Just saying!

+Quote Post
Forlorn_Hope
post May 10 2011, 02:45 AM
Post #3

Cat Herder in Chief
Group Icon

Group: BG Dev. Team
Member No.: 2,023

Here's the big issue I've seen. This mod has been in a developmental form in some stage or another for the last 10 years. Over time, developers have come and gone as real life eventually takes over. At the tail-end of Half-Life 1's heyday, BG1 was in a position BG2 is in now. There weren't a lot of developers, and the ones who were around didn't have a whole lot of time. Half-Life 2 came out, and then we had a new engine to work with, fresh talent who were interested in working on said engine, and lots of new people playing on said engine to populate our servers.

Now, the source engine is old. It's been around for 7 years, if memory serves, and BG2 has been out almost as long. The people who have been working on it have aged with the engine as well. No longer are we a group of college students with no girlfriends, and therefore, lots of free time. Now we are a group of people with full time jobs. On our team, just to name a few, we have a lawyer, a programmer, and myself, a medic. And these are the jobs we work full time.

My own hope for this game, and for future development, is to see HL3 eventually come out, or, more specifically, a new engine and an A-title game that continues in it's open-source-ness, so the game can be ported over to it once again. Hopefully, we would get a new batch of talent to take over the development cycle, and a new batch of players to populate the servers. And if that happens, I do still hope a few of the current developers will stick around to guide them along.

Anyway, that's my own two cents.

--------------------
"There will be no more naked sunbathing." An actual rule for the base I was on, in the middle of Afghanistan.

"Forlorn basically said everything right." Codename:V

+Quote Post
LaBelle
post May 10 2011, 11:39 AM
Post #4

Lieutennant

Member No.: 14,712

To be very short about it; the game has just become boring, and the lack of overall community ingenuity and acceptance has killed it.

+Quote Post
joethepro36
post May 10 2011, 04:14 PM
Post #5

Sergeant

Member No.: 14,729

We've had exactly the same kind of problems in 42Cdo, but we're gearing up for some changes this week and we're going to be launching a few internal clan things to keep interest up.

With a lack of free time from several of the leadership members (including myself) and a lack of enthusiasm for the game due to a lack of important community wide things like a working LBC, we're finding it beginning to become a grind. Hopefully we'll be renewing interest though.

+Quote Post
Forlorn_Hope
post May 10 2011, 04:20 PM
Post #6

Cat Herder in Chief
Group Icon

I will say, with my return to the States, I DO plan a full campaign-style game, based off the concept of the Battle for the Colonies, and focused on historic unit numbers and types. The ultimate goal is to use the ticket system seen in the next patch, but if the patch is delayed, I will make it work in another way. The vast majority of the information is already out there, but I plan to hit it up again when I'm back in NY, and have things fully kick off when I'm back in garrison in Camp Lejeune. That's looking beginning of June for the re-announcement, and mid-late June for the kick-off.

--------------------
"There will be no more naked sunbathing." An actual rule for the base I was on, in the middle of Afghanistan.

+Quote Post
gRanTeLbArT
post May 10 2011, 04:41 PM
Post #7

aaaaaa | TRR scream team
Group Icon

Group: Retired Team Members
Member No.: 3,115

BFTC was a pretty cool and big thing if it hadn't ended so early and if it had been continued. It actually made some people like jackx actually play more bg2 than they would otherwise. I'm hoping that we can sort out the last remaining problems with the weapon pick up/drop system and release the patch. That depends on tjoppen and roob to take care of code.

--------------------
The Elders have foreseen victory this day!
Member of the TRR scream team.

+Quote Post
joethepro36
post May 10 2011, 04:57 PM
Post #8

Sergeant

We're going to be initiating an LBC ourselves, given that the community members who have promised to get one going have failed. We're currently asking around the community to gauge interest, getting a fully working site like the BGU may prove difficult.

+Quote Post
Quite Churlishly
post May 10 2011, 11:44 PM
Post #9

Towne Crier

Remember back when I was unemployed and I kept my server populated all day and night and then Death claimed something along the lines that I was killing the game by playing the game? Memories...

--------------------

+Quote Post
Cpl.Kieth
post May 10 2011, 11:53 PM
Post #10

#1 fanboi

Member No.: 7,417

no

--------------------
I can put a fucking iron triangle in your head from 9ft away with my long land pattern brown bess flintlock musket.
* K *: YA I GIMP SHIT TOo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QH2-TGUlwu4

+Quote Post
Nathan Hale
post May 11 2011, 01:06 AM
Post #11

Original BG First Release Player
Group Icon

Group: Admin
Member No.: 124

QUOTE (Quite Churlishly @ May 10 2011, 07:44 PM) *
Remember back when I was unemployed and I kept my server populated all day and night and then Death claimed something along the lines that I was killing the game by playing the game? Memories...

You were working double duty: a beacon to the BG community and unemployed everywhere.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Im_So_Cool_Retar...
post May 11 2011, 11:50 AM
Post #12

Captain

Member No.: 5,184

To be honest, I feel one of the main contributing factors for the decrease in BG2's popularity is power hungry server admins (I know "it's their server, their rules blah blah").

In recentl time, I have witnessed clan leaders getting emotionally defensive (*ahem* 21st, *ahem* 28th) when someone challenges them and eventually just evict players from their respective servers. A message to these guys and all like them: as you SHOULD be aware, BG has and has always had a waning community. SO keep being sentimental little shits and stop strangling the mod.

Maybe one of the moderators should just go into the archives and pull BG1's "Popularity down" thread, as it probably contains a lot of issues relating to this.

--------------------
7:28 PM - brnc: you are the best
7:28 PM - brnc: im second

1:27 PM - brnc: what the fuck are they talking about?
1:27 PM - we're all made of bubbles: man wtf are they talking about
1:27 PM - we're all made of bubbles: lol
1:27 PM - brnc: HAHA

+Quote Post
joethepro36
post May 11 2011, 12:28 PM
Post #13

Sergeant

I agree with you about admin rights being abused. I've been banned for retarded reasons not even involving me, simply because admins are incompetent at dealing with problem players. I was recently banned from the GK/28th server permanently because one of my members had allegedly trolled their Teamspeak.

As always, if you have problems with 42Cdo admins then you can bring it up to me or another member of the leadership at any time and we'll deal with it.

A lack of map variation is something that is imo killing the community slowly. People, BAN strangeways off your server (at the least play the bloody variants) and get more skirmish maps in rotation. People do not like playing the same maps over and over and for good reason too.

+Quote Post
Forlorn_Hope
post May 11 2011, 05:02 PM
Post #14

Cat Herder in Chief
Group Icon

One of the many reasons I really want to do my own server up. I honestly feel I can do a much better job than many of the server admins we have now. And I may do it yet, depending on finances and what comes up over the next few months.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Im_So_Cool_Retar...
post May 11 2011, 05:58 PM
Post #15

Captain

Just a bunch of fake Sgt.Pepper's.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Quite Churlishly
post May 11 2011, 08:46 PM
Post #16

Towne Crier

Meh. It's a combination of bad server administrators(you won't ever get rid of then) and the fact that every server 'needs' to be 64 slot now, apparently. If you have the entire bg community on one server and your crappy Admins rage the whole server, then you've just kicked the commmunity in the nuts.

--------------------

+Quote Post
JukeboxHero
post Jul 6 2011, 05:06 AM
Post #17

Private

Member No.: 14,850

Admin abuse can contribute to a decrease in popularity for sure. The community as a whole isn't going to bend over backwards to help an amateur player, adding to the problem. This is why I always give answers to simple questions.

I feel as though BG2 isn't exactly the most friendly game in the world. That's not to say everyone is mean, but I can understand why sensitive people shy away from it. I played BG1 back in the day so I consider myself an old vet, it doesn't take long to figure out linebattles. However if you're new to the game this is where it gets uncomfortable.

You join in, pick frontiersman, and then get tked for picking the wrong class. You change to the correct class, then get tked for crouching. You ask for advice and don't get a reply. When you get one it's "umad bro?" or something to that affect.

Since BG2 is a small community, clans are ever prevalent. This can be intimidating if you're a shy person or whatever.

I'm not sure why it is more people in general don't play. I think it's probably because people aren't used to using one weapon that's about as accurate as a paper airplane. I imagine melee can be intimidating, though for me it's what got me hooked. When I first bayoneted someone in the face I was hooked like a junkie! I imagine meth is similar to this game, so much fun! Well thats probably a bad analogy...

It almost makes me nervous that there isn't much interest in the game. There's only two servers. I swear I might just get my own darn server.

+Quote Post
Spartacus
post Jul 6 2011, 10:15 AM
Post #18

Sergeant

Member No.: 13,787

There are 30+ servers. Mmkaay

--------------------
23:25 - Klifsnider: I'm a fighter and an athlete trapped inside a fat guy's body. All I have in life is food, and I refuse to give it up. Till something else comes along, I'll always look this way.

+Quote Post
Im_So_Cool_Retar...
post Jul 7 2011, 05:53 PM
Post #19

Captain

QUOTE (JukeboxHero @ Jul 6 2011, 06:06 AM) *
Admin abuse can contribute to a decrease in popularity for sure. The community as a whole isn't going to bend over backwards to help an amateur player, adding to the problem. This is why I always give answers to simple questions.

I feel as though BG2 isn't exactly the most friendly game in the world. That's not to say everyone is mean, but I can understand why sensitive people shy away from it. I played BG1 back in the day so I consider myself an old vet, it doesn't take long to figure out linebattles. However if you're new to the game this is where it gets uncomfortable.

You join in, pick frontiersman, and then get tked for picking the wrong class. You change to the correct class, then get tked for crouching. You ask for advice and don't get a reply. When you get one it's "umad bro?" or something to that affect.

Since BG2 is a small community, clans are ever prevalent. This can be intimidating if you're a shy person or whatever.

I'm not sure why it is more people in general don't play. I think it's probably because people aren't used to using one weapon that's about as accurate as a paper airplane. I imagine melee can be intimidating, though for me it's what got me hooked. When I first bayoneted someone in the face I was hooked like a junkie! I imagine meth is similar to this game, so much fun! Well thats probably a bad analogy...

It almost makes me nervous that there isn't much interest in the game. There's only two servers. I swear I might just get my own darn server.

1. bg has never been friendly.
2. don't see how our community differs from any other.
3. i don't play many linebattles, but how hard can it be? I've already learnt from this thread that i can't pick a frontiersman or crouch.
4. bg has always had a small community imo. shy person? Are you joking? gtfo the internet if you're "shy"
5. there's more than one weapon and they're all fairly accurate. if you know how to use them.

melee BE INTIMIDATING!? DO YOU WATCH THE NEWS?

--------------------

+Quote Post
analord
post Jul 7 2011, 05:58 PM
Post #20

BG's number uno

Member No.: 6,981

QUOTE (JukeboxHero @ Jul 6 2011, 07:06 AM) *
It almost makes me nervous that there isn't much interest in the game.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

--------------------
Vitali Rapflow: frodo
Vitali Rapflow: find the ring
Vitali Rapflow: now
Vitali Rapflow: go
Be Blue ! Dallan disconnected.

+Quote Post
JukeboxHero
post Jul 7 2011, 11:17 PM
Post #21

Private

Member No.: 14,850

QUOTE (Im_So_Cool_Retart @ Jul 7 2011, 06:53 PM) *
1. bg has never been friendly.
2. don't see how our community differs from any other.
3. i don't play many linebattles, but how hard can it be? I've already learnt from this thread that i can't pick a frontiersman or crouch.
4. bg has always had a small community imo. shy person? Are you joking? gtfo the internet if you're "shy"
5. there's more than one weapon and they're all fairly accurate. if you know how to use them.

melee BE INTIMIDATING!? DO YOU WATCH THE NEWS?

1 - You may be right, to be honest. It's been years since I've played BG1, but I was cool with everyone.

2 - Considering I don't own an Xbox, PS3, or anything else, you may be right. I may not be much of a gamer by your standards. I do know my way around a Brown Bess though (walking into a lot of jokes there).

3 - It's not hard. Though, if you don't have a passion for the game, you're likely to say "screw this!" Bayoneting a new player for crouching? I think that's a bit over the line, and it happens often. Many people would rather jump right into TF2 than follow rules like that.

4 - This is what I'm saying. I want people to do the exact opposite. Don't gtfo! No. Come on in buddy, play some BG2.

I'm a hyper-competitive person. The trash talk that spews out of my mouth is often offensive, it's part of my culture I guess. Though I always try to moderate myself so as not to offend people. It's part of maturity. I understand this isn't last call, while shooting pool at Pete's Bar. I also understand there's a lot of folks that take it personally when I scream "What's up now you heartless cowards!" After that I come back on the mic and say, "I'm kidding buddy."

5 - "If you know how to use them" is the trick. I'll admit, I've been below average for a while. I'm much better though, it's not rocket science. The key is knowing the range. My point is not to argue this. My point is most people are used to Call of Duty style weaponry. For the love of god though, don't misunderstand me. I love the BG weapons!

Yes I watch the news. The irony of this sarcastic statement is my steam ID and avatar. 95% of people wouldn't get the political pun without wikipedia and they still may not.

Just understand, I'm trying to offer constructive criticism.

This post has been edited by JukeboxHero: Jul 7 2011, 11:18 PM

+Quote Post
analord
post Jul 8 2011, 01:27 PM
Post #22

BG's number uno

u are obviously retarded bro

--------------------

+Quote Post
Im_So_Cool_Retar...
post Jul 9 2011, 12:08 PM
Post #23

Captain

QUOTE (JukeboxHero @ Jul 8 2011, 12:17 AM) *
1 - You may be right, to be honest. It's been years since I've played BG1, but I was cool with everyone.

2 - Considering I don't own an Xbox, PS3, or anything else, you may be right. I may not be much of a gamer by your standards. I do know my way around a Brown Bess though (walking into a lot of jokes there).

3 - It's not hard. Though, if you don't have a passion for the game, you're likely to say "screw this!" Bayoneting a new player for crouching? I think that's a bit over the line, and it happens often. Many people would rather jump right into TF2 than follow rules like that.

4 - This is what I'm saying. I want people to do the exact opposite. Don't gtfo! No. Come on in buddy, play some BG2.

I'm a hyper-competitive person. The trash talk that spews out of my mouth is often offensive, it's part of my culture I guess. Though I always try to moderate myself so as not to offend people. It's part of maturity. I understand this isn't last call, while shooting pool at Pete's Bar. I also understand there's a lot of folks that take it personally when I scream "What's up now you heartless cowards!" After that I come back on the mic and say, "I'm kidding buddy."

5 - "If you know how to use them" is the trick. I'll admit, I've been below average for a while. I'm much better though, it's not rocket science. The key is knowing the range. My point is not to argue this. My point is most people are used to Call of Duty style weaponry. For the love of god though, don't misunderstand me. I love the BG weapons!

Yes I watch the news. The irony of this sarcastic statement is my steam ID and avatar. 95% of people wouldn't get the political pun without wikipedia and they still may not.

Just understand, I'm trying to offer constructive criticism.

i think i've diagnosed your symptoms.

primarily: you are suffering from linebattlitis. This is common illness found in bg1 players who have been educated in melee, but now must endure countless kiddy admins and map changes.
secondly: you've totally overestimated the bg community and the internet as a whole. i wouldnt consider myself a "gamer", i play football manager 2011 more than anything else, But even I know for every 1 nice person there are 3 c*nts. or maybe im just turning into a cynical old bastard as i grow older and the average age of the community remains the same.

imo many new people dont join this game to melee. they join it to linebattle which is why 90% of the time, i will have 5 mins on a skirmish map before someone says "linebattle?", and it is echoed by about 20 other little shits.
i've found these people LIKE being told what to do/tell others what to do. it's probably their release from they're job/studies. they're sadists! they LIKE being tk'd!! maybe a little over the top, but hey, the sentiment remains.

i think most people who have downloaded bg are those who find novelty in the weapons and thus have a greater capacity for wanting to learn and play and even though ive never seen/played call of duty, i cant imagine the learning curves are that dissimilar

the community primarily consists of loyal players and repeat customers like yourself. bg will never, ever have a large community for a sustained period, face it, it's just not THAT good.

AND i like it like that. a more concentrated player base, imo is better than one consisting of headless chickens.

and another thing, bar 2 or 3 of the existing clans at the moment, I can say ALL of them were made by "new players", so it can't be that intimidating.

stop being nervous and appreciate bg for what it is. you cant change it, i cant change it, the devs CAN change it, but they must listen to the masses. just enjoy the game for what it is, or whats left of it.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Forlorn_Hope
post Jul 9 2011, 12:33 PM
Post #24

Cat Herder in Chief
Group Icon

stop being nervous and appreciate bg for what it is. you cant change it, i cant change it, the devs CAN change it, but they must listen to the masses. just enjoy the game for what it is, or whats left of it.

We learned years and years ago to stop listening to the masses. Simply put, the masses are short-sighted children.

--------------------

+Quote Post
analord
post Jul 9 2011, 12:44 PM
Post #25

BG's number uno

your post makes me nervous

--------------------

+Quote Post

9 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
3 User(s) are reading this topic (3 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th June 2019 - 03:29 AM