IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Closed TopicStart new topic
> Dear Battleground Community, Linebattles ???
CaBPi
post Feb 18 2012, 08:10 PM
Post #1

Private

Group: Members
Member No.: 15,018

Hello Battleground fans.

I have been a Battleground fan since i first saw the mod for halflife 1 many many years ago. I shared it with my friends and have played it on and off since then.
Battlegrond 2 was an amazing addon and the game really saw alot of new players join the servers.

When I download the mod today and try to play it, I find only 2 open servers with "linebattle" rules controlled HARD by clans. If you dont play EXACTLY like they want you get banned or killed.
If thats how you want to play the game thats fine with me, but i noticed that when the "linebattle" gameplay began, people stopped playing the game, and playing the linebattles myself i can understand that.
It may be fun for 2 rounds, but after that ... ... ... Not so much.

My conclusion to the linebattle trend - Its killing the battleground community, maybe not the hardcore fans in clans, but for people like me and my friend who just want to play for fun without someone screaming at us for firing at he enemy and not running in line.

My advice: Its fine you enjoy linebattles, but its killing the game for fans like me who just want to play it as it was intended for. Our only choice for playing the game right now is joining your severs. If some of the developers are reading this I would say you can revive the game by making servers that arent runned by clans who just want to play what they think is fun.

All the best !!

This post has been edited by CaBPi: Feb 18 2012, 08:12 PM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Jackson
post Feb 18 2012, 09:14 PM
Post #2

Vampire Pimp

Member No.: 6,707

Ideally there would always be populated servers catering to line battles or regular scrims. As the community is rather small at the moment, this is not the case. If you would like to be a part of the solution personally, playing on an empty server with a couple of friends might make more people join you. Believe it or not, there ARE servers for core gameplay; it's just that people generally won't join an empty server.

Again, the problem isn't the number of servers, it's the number of players on them.

Here are a couple of scrim servers:
-[TRR]- Scrim server UK (Biased? Me? Pshyeahright...)
217.163.22.109:27015

Angry Players Euro server
31.193.134.84:27022

Angry Players NA server
67.222.138.67:27015

Spirit of '76 NA
69.9.170.60:27015

--------------------

+Quote Post
Alpha
post Feb 18 2012, 11:40 PM
Post #3

Corporal

Member No.: 14,910

The problem is for some clans , the second a serv reachs 14 + players , it has to be a linebattle.
What doesn't help are the people who join a serv and refuse to play and just stand there spamming chat for linebattles.

+Quote Post
CaBPi
post Feb 18 2012, 11:52 PM
Post #4

Private

Member No.: 15,018

QUOTE (Alpha @ Feb 19 2012, 12:40 AM) *
The problem is for some clans , the second a serv reachs 14 + players , it has to be a linebattle.
What doesn't help are the people who join a serv and refuse to play and just stand there spamming chat for linebattles.

Thats true. Im guilty in making a few teams kills out of frustration and yelling at them in chat, and we can agree that is just stupid ^^

All we need is to get a "normal" server running and im willing to bet people will join it. Just looking at the numbers of angry people in "linebattle", as you too has observed, we know they are out there.

+Quote Post
mpc
post Feb 19 2012, 12:00 AM
Post #5

Padawan of Grantelbart
Group Icon

Group: BG Dev. Team
Member No.: 6,884

As Jackson has pointed out, if there are only LB's being played, joining an empty server is your best bet, like one of the ones he listed above, since people will normally join after getting banned from the LB servers if they feel bored with the current LB, or fancy normal skirmish.

This post has been edited by mpc: Feb 19 2012, 12:01 AM

--------------------
Want to join TRR? www.theroyalrecruits.com - Plexi's cat can see your soul!

+Quote Post
Hawke
post Feb 19 2012, 12:00 AM
Post #6

Top player, top choice
Group Icon

Group: Team Leader
Member No.: 14,831

The skirmish clans that were around are fairly inactive or disbanded altogether. The most active clans at the moment are of course line battle clans, so the majority of servers will be running line battles. I won't repeat the good advice already given but I would add that if you are an American player the `76 often has events or an open public server running at late afternoon/evenings on American time. My own server, the 47th tries to run a balanced mix of Line battle events, and pugs or "realisms." So I guess just keep checking the server list, and find a good server. The other option is of course getting a server yourself and try to save the game from those "evil" line battle clans sucking the life out of the "community"

--------------------
bjn: no time for sean nanny goons

+Quote Post
Alpha
post Feb 19 2012, 12:05 AM
Post #7

Corporal

24/7 SQ2 Server

Problem solved

+Quote Post
Ad-Man
post Feb 19 2012, 12:43 AM
Post #8

Part of the Big Five conspiracy
Group Icon

Group: Admin
Member No.: 3,147

Skirmish died out because linebattles attracted hordes of 12 year old who like to "level up" (why do you think MW1/2/3 are the biggest sellers), this influx of mindless babies ruined the community, diluting the server pool with trr_strangeways 24/7.

New players BG2 experience:

--------------------
Do you cant read me ? Not read ..
Not like whot i write ? not read too ...
Where is the problem ?

QUOTE (Copywright (wallhacker/bad modeler))
BGu had a chance of coming back but Roob failed sad really

+Quote Post
Kablamo
post Feb 19 2012, 01:42 AM
Post #9

Private

Member No.: 14,803

I think/hope the game is slow coming back to skirmishing, I mean if you look at the server list the 76' server normally has players in it and they never line battle as far as I know, also normally there are servers you can just avoid who snap up most of the LBer hoards, but hell if a game type attracts players who am I to judge them for liking them, but I think we just need to get some people who can run some servers that aren't dedicated to linebattle clans, as stated before in this topic there are some that run its just a case of getting people on it.

or maybe people who don't like LB clans should start a skirmish clan which is more open with getting members and helping them get better at skirmishing, as the few skirmish clans who are/used to be around in 2.0 and 2.1 were top level players and no one could get in to them or at least it was very hard
people enjoy being part of a team if they cant get in to a skirmish team they go to an LB team as its there only choice if they want to get better, here they pick up bad habits like PBing.

and I don't mean to be rude but it is sad to see a dev member generalising there community like that "Skirmish died out because linebattles attracted hordes of 12 year old who like to "level up""
I am fairly certain that there are quite a few clans who have an age limit of 16 and barely any of the server ever use strangeways any more as far as I know.

anyway sorry for the wall of text, and I am sorry for my English in advance

This post has been edited by Kablamo: Feb 19 2012, 01:44 AM

--------------------
Kablamo Headshot

+Quote Post
Nathan Hale
post Feb 19 2012, 04:08 AM
Post #10

Original BG First Release Player
Group Icon

Member No.: 124

In NA, you can pretty much count on '76 and AP doing traditional skirmish style play. '76 usually has people in the US evenings. Most of the time it's just open server skirmish. Sometimes there's open matches where the teams play competitive skirmish for caps, but the teams are open and anyone can just join in.

--------------------

+Quote Post
James Asner
post Feb 19 2012, 04:16 AM
Post #11

Captain

Member No.: 14,047

QUOTE (CaBPi @ Feb 18 2012, 03:10 PM) *
Hello Battleground fans.

I have been a Battleground fan since i first saw the mod for halflife 1 many many years ago. I shared it with my friends and have played it on and off since then.
Battlegrond 2 was an amazing addon and the game really saw alot of new players join the servers.

When I download the mod today and try to play it, I find only 2 open servers with "linebattle" rules controlled HARD by clans. If you dont play EXACTLY like they want you get banned or killed.
If thats how you want to play the game thats fine with me, but i noticed that when the "linebattle" gameplay began, people stopped playing the game, and playing the linebattles myself i can understand that.
It may be fun for 2 rounds, but after that ... ... ... Not so much.

The level of enjoyment in linebattling is different for everyone. I know that certain players with leave if I start a linebattle and I always take that into account before decided on a new map. You'll always get a vote on 29th before we start something.

My conclusion to the linebattle trend - Its killing the battleground community, maybe not the hardcore fans in clans, but for people like me and my friend who just want to play for fun without someone screaming at us for firing at he enemy and not running in line.

If people are going to participate there are simple rules to follow. It's not about control or to stroke an admins ego. It's always about giving a fair fight for the other team and them giving one back. If we don't present a line shoulder to shoulder they don't have a fair chance of hitting us. If one side breaks these rules it's akin to cheating. Yes, people yell, a lot. But honestly the rules are so simple to follow it's frustrating when players logon and decide to do whatever they want. It's not fair to the others that like linebattling as it is.

My advice: Its fine you enjoy linebattles, but its killing the game for fans like me who just want to play it as it was intended for. Our only choice for playing the game right now is joining your severs. If some of the developers are reading this I would say you can revive the game by making servers that arent runned by clans who just want to play what they think is fun.

All the best !!

It's not killing bg2. It's helping the community in so many ways. The 2.1 update did everything it could to kill the game and it was the clans that saved it. The fact is the update almost killed the clans. 47th just recovered and 69th said fuck it and moved on. Whatever linebattling means to the hardcore players it means a level playing-field for the public. You'll never retain players buy beating the shit out of them over and over in skirmish but in linebattles at least they have a chance to compete. Then if they enjoy that they join and clan and learn more advanced tactics, including melee which they may have sucked at. Linebattle is a gateway drug to bg2.

I don't think the entire game should be about linebattling and I don't think it should be all about skirmish. With the right maps it could have fort battles (played williamhenry twice this weekend) and artillery (it's in the works), linebattle and skirmish. What's killing the community is the lack of interest and imagination. Remember, bg2 has to compete with all the triple A titles not to mention better developed mods.

I love the game. However, you're given all of history from F&I to 1812 and you come up with a capture the flag game? It's weak.

This post has been edited by James Asner: Feb 19 2012, 04:17 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post
3DDEATH
post Feb 19 2012, 06:35 AM
Post #12

Major

Member No.: 2,430

LOL wow, AP server not up to date, 76 is laggy overpriced junk server who criticize other servers or troll , the mod main installer is junk. How ever I did play on a server that was pretty fun, do your homework!!! Oh and the reason there is so many 12 yr olds is its FREE because the engine is so out of date. Source sdk 2007 kinda like HL1 bg1. Have a nice day.

--------------------

QUOTE (gRanTeLbArT @ Aug 25 2007, 02:47 PM) *
I will tell you what I think, this is horrible. Like all the other remakes of BG1 maps. There is a reason why we do not do that in any form. Do not bother to remake old bg1 maps. BG1 was a totally different game as draco pointed out and the maps are not going to work out on BG2.

Rejoice in thy youth,soon it will be gone

+Quote Post
Alpha
post Feb 19 2012, 10:02 AM
Post #13

Corporal

QUOTE (Kablamo @ Feb 19 2012, 03:42 AM) *
and I don't mean to be rude but it is sad to see a dev member generalising there community like that "Skirmish died out because linebattles attracted hordes of 12 year old who like to "level up""

I think its good to have a mixed view of things in the Dev team as there is no shortage of Dev team members who support Linebattles

+Quote Post
Ad-Man
post Feb 19 2012, 11:13 AM
Post #14

Part of the Big Five conspiracy
Group Icon

Member No.: 3,147

LB maps are far too large for the source engine and impossible to optimize.
Source engine only supports up to 32 player well.
Pretty much no server providers give the hardware resources to run above 24 slots without "lag".

--------------------
Do you cant read me ? Not read ..
Not like whot i write ? not read too ...
Where is the problem ?

QUOTE (Copywright (wallhacker/bad modeler))
BGu had a chance of coming back but Roob failed sad really

+Quote Post
Kablamo
post Feb 19 2012, 01:23 PM
Post #15

Private

QUOTE (Alpha @ Feb 19 2012, 10:02 AM) *
QUOTE (Kablamo @ Feb 19 2012, 03:42 AM) *

I think its good to have a mixed view of things in the Dev team as there is no shortage of Dev team members who support Linebattles

my issue wasn't his statement I understand LBs are not for everyone I personally don't enjoy them, it was the way he put it that bugged me

--------------------
Kablamo Headshot

+Quote Post
BIKA
post Feb 19 2012, 02:25 PM
Post #16

Lieutennant

Member No.: 14,854

The graph Ad-Man posted summarizes the situation.

The sentence? DEATH posted summarizes the problem.

Burning BG2 with fire summarizes the solution.

Quick Edit: Every LB player pm/add me to 1v1, I want to make an album of me owning every "good" player in this mod easily, thanks. wub.gif

This post has been edited by BIKA: Feb 19 2012, 02:29 PM

--------------------
__
(^_^=)[XXXX]~
BIKA
\_+_//_+_\

+Quote Post
Im_So_Cool_Retar...
post Feb 19 2012, 02:42 PM
Post #17

Captain

Member No.: 5,184

Meh, I don't know what to add.

I remember being impressed by the newest release and also by the devs, who took our suggestions into serious consideration.

However, I and most of Be Blue (that's more than 25 years worth of BG experience), have either uninstalled or are inactive. That's the second eldest "skirmish clan in Europe" disbanded in the space of 3 or 4 months.

Do I miss BG? Definitely not. In fact I could predict the scenarios if I were to reinstall and join a server and it would fall perfectly into Ad-Man's graph.

Has the LB community destroyed the skirmish community? I don't know, but there can definitely not be a happy medium.

Who knows? BG is just not as fun as it used to be due to the lack of competitive edge.

Or hey, maybe we're the golden generation just getting older.

--------------------
7:28 PM - brnc: you are the best
7:28 PM - brnc: im second

1:27 PM - brnc: what the fuck are they talking about?
1:27 PM - we're all made of bubbles: man wtf are they talking about
1:27 PM - we're all made of bubbles: lol
1:27 PM - brnc: HAHA

+Quote Post
analord
post Feb 19 2012, 03:37 PM
Post #18

BG's number uno

Member No.: 6,981

one thing that misses here:

All servers are REALLY bad and crappy and in combination with shotguns, etc it is not fun to play.

--------------------
Vitali Rapflow: frodo
Vitali Rapflow: find the ring
Vitali Rapflow: now
Vitali Rapflow: go
Be Blue ! Dallan disconnected.

+Quote Post
Alpha
post Feb 19 2012, 05:23 PM
Post #19

Corporal

A bit of cooperation between clans when they do linebattles would be nice , but thats just crazy talk

+Quote Post
BIKA
post Feb 19 2012, 07:37 PM
Post #20

Lieutennant

Serious fact #1 - 75% of frequent players at the moment = LB clan players.

Serious fact #2 - They are assholes to anyone not in their clan.

Serious fact #3 - No one likes assholes.

Serious fact #4 - This mod has been dead since late-2009 to early-2010.

Serious fact #5 - There was no "linebattle servers" in 2009-2010, only 10+ "skirmish" teams at a time, at all times. (like, totally lols man. Even more than LB clans, ever.)

Serious fact #6 - LB clan players are bad.

Serious fact #7 - Because they're bad; they use LB'ing as a crutch to explain why they don't know how to play.

Serious fact #8 - It's a common misconception that your clan of 12-20+ players beating another team in a stare-down, shooting contest across distances where the bullets don't work well, makes you or your clan or you "good" in this mod.

Serious fact #9 - ALL LB clans are actually terrible at linebattle'ing. I've witnessed it myself.

Serious fact #10 - LB clans are a popularity and tiny ego competition. Picture a high school ROTC class, but they really all still lose, despite what they're thinking.

Serious fact #11 - BG2 is the perfect place for socially deprived European and American kids to control each-other with "ranks" and regiments, through LB'ing.

Serious fact #12 - This is how the mod is now, you should know this.

Serious fact #13 - Because of #12 you are either 3 people;

Actually good at the mod and know what you're doing, but np guy, you're banned soon for "hacking/exploits."

A linebattle player. Kind of bad at everything to do with the mod. Doesn't attempt to learn or get better. But, it's ok if you still think you're the best, because OBVIOUSLY first guy is cheating.

A random player. What the FUCK is wrong with 1st guy, cheating ass hole. -> Uninstall ... What the FUCK is wrong with 2nd guy, Nazi ass hole -> Uninstall.

Players base - 1 (hacking) - 3 (Quit) + 2 (Gay) = New player base AKA 2 (Gay) ... LB = two gay guys.

This post has been edited by BIKA: Feb 19 2012, 07:43 PM

--------------------
__
(^_^=)[XXXX]~
BIKA
\_+_//_+_\

+Quote Post
Hawke
post Feb 19 2012, 07:50 PM
Post #21

Top player, top choice
Group Icon

Group: Team Leader
Member No.: 14,831

Sums up both types of players rather well, my first impression of playing this mod was how very elitist it was, and how there were niche groups all over the place. This was around mainly skirmish players I might add.

Although your points about lb players are entirely justifiable, the fact remains that line battle clans have supported what little public community is left in the game. That may be a bad thing, it might teach them the wrong habits, but it's true. And as I've said before if the skirmish players want a stronger community, or public play and interest, they should actually try and do something about it, either start a new clan and teach new players how to skirmish, or get together with old mates and start a new league, or something. A fact that continues to astound me is the lack of interest in new players in skirmish, you never see new players wanting to start skirmish clans and I honestly have no idea why, perhaps they need an example from experienced melee players?

--------------------
bjn: no time for sean nanny goons

+Quote Post
BIKA
post Feb 19 2012, 08:03 PM
Post #22

Lieutennant

It's pretty simple, you see-- like this!

People are bad at video games. So, they like to play a free one for thousands of hours and gain no progress at all, other than a "rank" in their LB group.

Yea, people have made some leagues, but what happens is the leader is always an idiot and fucks over other teams to get an advantage. Either that or (wow, this BIKA guy is a dick, always calling people bad) the players are too bad to compete with 2-3 teams in the league, so they just fucking quit, end of leagues.

Edit: Was going to write something, but nahhh.

This post has been edited by BIKA: Feb 19 2012, 08:11 PM

--------------------
__
(^_^=)[XXXX]~
BIKA
\_+_//_+_\

+Quote Post
analord
post Feb 19 2012, 08:34 PM
Post #23

BG's number uno

Member No.: 6,981

2 Facts:
1. the game is dead
2. If you want to get popularity again, you will need to make a new mod. Most likely with something else than source sdk

--------------------
Vitali Rapflow: frodo
Vitali Rapflow: find the ring
Vitali Rapflow: now
Vitali Rapflow: go
Be Blue ! Dallan disconnected.

+Quote Post
Kablamo
post Feb 19 2012, 08:43 PM
Post #24

Private

Nothing is wrong with the source engine....

http://blackmesasource.com/media/c0a0_release12_004.jpg

just saying it can look pretty damn good, valve are still using it...

--------------------
Kablamo Headshot

+Quote Post
AngryIRSAgent
post Feb 19 2012, 08:58 PM
Post #25

|AP| [bg2-dev]
Group Icon

Group: Retired Team Members
Member No.: 5,717

QUOTE (3DDEATH @ Feb 19 2012, 01:35 AM) *
LOL wow, AP server not up to date, 76 is laggy overpriced junk server who criticize other servers or troll , the mod main installer is junk. How ever I did play on a server that was pretty fun, do your homework!!! Oh and the reason there is so many 12 yr olds is its FREE because the engine is so out of date. Source sdk 2007 kinda like HL1 bg1. Have a nice day.

Actually AP server is up to date. It just says the wrong version. But thanks for paying attention. sorcerer.gif

--------------------
|AP| Clan Leader

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Closed TopicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st March 2019 - 02:10 AM