IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Building Normal Maps From Textures, I think it's cool/clever. What do you think?
James Asner
post Sep 4 2013, 09:35 PM
Post #1

Captain

Group: Members
Member No.: 14,047

http://imgur.com/U9TrG7q

I love Crazybump but I wanted more control over this texture to create the "geometry". I don't have any modeling experience so I had to create the heightmap manually. I masked the diffuse texture (upper left) piece by piece in PS and used the Gradient Tool to simulate a curve. Then I used the Color Range to select the shadows and overlayed them with the heightmap (upper right). The lower left is the result from CB. The lower right is the result of mixing this normal with one based on the diffuse texture itself.

http://imgur.com/t5uFZ7x

Direct lighting makes the texture look a little flat but clever lighting could really make this texture pop.

EDIT: It's 1024px square and at .12 scale rather than .25. This means 8 pixels/unit or 4 times the resolution.

This post has been edited by James Asner: Sep 4 2013, 09:39 PM

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Chris101
post Sep 5 2013, 10:42 AM
Post #2

Sergeant

Member No.: 15,186

looks nice, would be useful maybe on random trench maps, or fort based maps i think

--------------------
The Constitution only gives people the right to pursue happiness. You have to catch it yourself.

~Benjamin Franklin

+Quote Post
James Asner
post Sep 5 2013, 04:52 PM
Post #3

Captain

Member No.: 14,047

Floorboard

New floorboard texture. I want to keep going with this. I'm getting great results with high-res textures considering this one doesn't even have a normal map. As for the wall texture above I realized it's not logs but "slabs". It not a retaining wall but rather cheap siding for a house. I dialed down the "curve" of the slabs in CB and it looks much better now.

I'd like to add/replace a few more textures for BG2. I know this has been a plan for a while, ever since Semmel, but no one uses them. If it's on CG textures or another royalty free site please send me a link and I'll see what I can do. It doesn't need to be seamless (in fact if it's seamless you don't need any help from me).

This post has been edited by James Asner: Feb 20 2015, 09:08 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Chris101
post Sep 6 2013, 10:35 AM
Post #4

Sergeant

Member No.: 15,186

looks nice

--------------------
The Constitution only gives people the right to pursue happiness. You have to catch it yourself.

~Benjamin Franklin

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 8th December 2019 - 09:30 AM