Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Propper, anyone use it before
James Asner
post Jun 19 2011, 03:09 AM
Post #1

Captain

Group: Members
Member No.: 14,047

I want to learn XSI to the full extend at some point but I decided to play around with exporting vmf's and creating models from that. Importing into XSI and then creating an smd from that was giving me shitty results. I don't know if it was XSI or cannonfodders compile tool that was causing the errors. Anyway, I came upon Propper and after a medium level complexity in setup I'm damn impressed. It scales the model, which is the best part, so you can create brushes in hammer and then shrink them down to add detail but avoid invalid solids.

So I'm wondering if anyone has used it before and could tell me what to expect from the performance of props and specifically if there any issues with using them as phys-props (causes crashing, etc.). I'd just like to know more about this tool because honestly, it's a lot of fun.

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
gRanTeLbArT
post Jun 19 2011, 12:35 PM
Post #2

aaaaaa | TRR scream team
Group Icon

Group: Retired Team Members
Member No.: 3,115

Bg_assault (made by Jake Parlay) has log walls made with propper. It seems to be pretty useful and pretty good.

I haven't used it so far, however. With physics props (or even static props that need a physics model), you always need to be careful that the physics model is not too complex. Simple physics model cost less performance and are probably also less likely to cause crashes. I don't know of any potential problems with that however, just saying this because you asked for this.

--------------------
The Elders have foreseen victory this day!
Member of the TRR scream team.

+Quote Post
Steve
post Jun 19 2011, 10:00 PM
Post #3

Now avalible in Burdiet!
Group Icon

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,857

It's definitely an excellent tool, although I'm not sure how it handles smoothing groups/vertex merging.
What formats can it export to? It might pay to touch up a model after it has been exported.

--------------------
Tropical Coke : AMURICA R AMBAR WAVZ OF GRANE

+Quote Post
James Asner
post Jun 20 2011, 12:34 AM
Post #4

Captain

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7z01rtwQQS4

Just a taste of what I'm doing with Propper. The polys and phys model were WAY too much with the first version but this one is much better.

--------------------

+Quote Post
James Asner
post Feb 20 2014, 06:58 AM
Post #5

Captain

Not a bump. An update. Steampipe has broken a lot of things lately. If anyone is still interested in using Propper or just getting Hammer to work AT ALL, Tophatwaffle has a great tutorial on how to fix it!

http://www.tophattwaffle.com/configuring-p...-for-steampipe/

Also, two examples of what you can do with Propper. The first is a staircase built in Hammer and exported as a model. It's built at 4 times the final size to bypass hammers brush size limit, thus adding detail to a map that Hammer wouldn't render (invalid solids).
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/file...s/?id=177510467

The second is great if you want to learn modeling software (Maya, 3dsMax, Blender, etc.) because Propper outputs .smd files before the final compile into MDL format. I imported the _ref (view model) of this model into Blender (requires Blender Source Tools plugin) and fixed it up. UV maps, cleaned up geometry, tweeks and then exported the model and compiled the .mdl ALL INSIDE BLENDER. All it needs to compile is a .qc file which Propper automatically generates.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/file...s/?id=229781696

Custom collision models, multiple skins, LOD, particles, physics and more are all possible with Propper. If you have a strong understanding of Hammer you can create some amazing things. I hope this helps and if you have any questions please post below.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Nathan Hale
post Feb 24 2014, 01:27 AM
Post #6

Original BG First Release Player
Group Icon

Group: Admin
Member No.: 124

Pinned- this sort of information cane be quite helpful.

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st January 2020 - 07:14 AM