> Don't Necropost
Sgt Pepper
post Oct 27 2005, 01:31 PM
Post #1

Sgt Pepper - Just the wrong side of 'taste' since 1805
Group Icon

Group: Retired Team Members
Member No.: 11

What the topic says. Don't necropost. A necropost is posting in a topic which hasn't been posted in for like two weeks. There has been too much of it the last few days, and that indicates that people haven't read the rules properly, or don't know common netiquette. It's really a warnable offense, but this saves me some work, hopefully.

And if I wasn't clear enough: read the rules before posting. Read the FAQs. And don't forget that there are rules, and there is plain old good behaviour. and both should be respected.

EDIT: And to be even more specific. If a topic is necroposted, and you recognize it as that, don't continue the discussion.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Monkwarrior
post Oct 27 2005, 02:00 PM
Post #2

Captain

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,974

It's an old discussion point for forum moderators.
Problem is: newcomers to the forums have the choice between 2 things according to your rules.

1) necropost which is not allowed
2) make a new topic about the same subject which will be "punished" by others pointing to the old topic.

So newcomers cann't vent their opinion about subjects which are new to them, but not new to forum-vets. At least , that's how I read this or do you suggest something else ?

Monk.

+Quote Post
Tostig
post Oct 27 2005, 02:09 PM
Post #3

♣ Cirtencce ♣

Member No.: 2,774

Do you bring something new, relevant, well thought out and maybe even interesting to the subject? Is your point, or maybe even points, laid out in a clear and concise manner with a neutral tone? Are you open to criticism and have you considered the effects on gameplay your idea would have, not to mention any historical relevancy. Have you even considered the amount of time and effort it would take?

If you can answer "yes" to all of the above, I highly doubt the Mods will mind if you necro (explaining why) or start a new thread. On the other hand, if you post in a three year old thread with:
Great idea! The devs should impliment this ASAP!
then you will get an unkind message from Draco, Jackx or anyone else who feels the need for some intellectual masturbation.

On the other hand, if you were to start a new thread about blunderbusses, pirates, horses, linebattle formations or one of the many things you're warned about in the stickies then you will get an unkind message from Draco, Jackx or anyone else who feels the need for some intellectual masturbation.

Yes, essentially if you post balderdash then you will get what is coming to you. If you post nicely, then people might actually think about it. It's a tough life, but you have to look on the bright side of it.

+Quote Post
Sgt Pepper
post Oct 27 2005, 02:29 PM
Post #4

Group Icon

Did I say "discuss necroposting"? I said, don't necropost. Don't, because we say "don't". The futile act of kicking dead horses is why we don't want necroposting. Topics die for a reason, and when I see them resurface, I sigh because someone is yet again kicking a dead horse, inventing the wheel, or kicking in open doors.

+Quote Post
gecko
post Oct 27 2005, 02:58 PM
Post #5

King Gecko of 1.0F Dev
Group Icon

Group: Admin
Member No.: 2,511

Necroposting should only be applied to topics where there really isnt anything else to add. If the post adds to the thread and is still applicable it shouldnt be closed.

( +1 tongue.gif )

+Quote Post
gRanTeLbArT
post Oct 27 2005, 03:47 PM
Post #6

aaaaaa | TRR scream team
Group Icon

Member No.: 3,115

/me beats gecko up

(for posting in my veeeeeery old topic)

This post has been edited by gRanTeLbArT: Oct 27 2005, 03:48 PM

--------------------
The Elders have foreseen victory this day!
Member of the TRR scream team.

+Quote Post
Monkwarrior
post Oct 27 2005, 04:20 PM
Post #7

Captain

Member No.: 3,974

Tostig made a valid suggestion, do you agree with him ?
If an old topic is revived with a valid add-on I would say "Well done" :happy:

+Quote Post
Sgt Pepper
post Oct 27 2005, 04:51 PM
Post #8

Group Icon

I might let it go in such cases, as I have in the past, but the rules strongly encourage people to consider if what they have to say is relevant and important enough to bring up a topic people tired of posting in.

+Quote Post
Draco
post Oct 28 2005, 04:24 AM
Post #9

They've taken my poopsmith!

Member No.: 3,242

you also have to remember that topics that are dead are dead for a reason. read them for your answers, but please dont post in real old topics unless its really really necessary.

+Quote Post

Closed TopicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st January 2020 - 07:12 AM