> A New Cannon For Bg2, 2 part cannon
Ram1
post Jan 25 2011, 12:05 PM
Post #1

Lieutennant
Group Icon

Group: Retired Team Members
Member No.: 4,458

i know we have a couple of models for cannons already in bg2, what i need is a 2 part cannon for more realistic manipulation in the game.

for now we can move the cannon in both directions, but being in one solid model wen you move up or down the cannon goes through the ground, doesn't look good at all, that's why I'd need it in 2 parts.

i don't know if we have modellers who can look into this, would be nice to have.

Ram1.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
gRanTeLbArT
post Jan 25 2011, 05:40 PM
Post #2

aaaaaa | TRR scream team
Group Icon

Member No.: 3,115

/agree

We have 4 cannon models total, but none with seperated gun and base+wheels.

--------------------
The Elders have foreseen victory this day!
Member of the TRR scream team.

+Quote Post
klifsnider
post Jan 25 2011, 06:55 PM
Post #3

Major
Group Icon

Group: BG Dev. Team
Member No.: 7,408

Can't you just use the cannon developed by Peacekeeper (and taxpayer, I think?)
It's the most realistic cannon type in bg2. The static ones are quite boring.

--------------------
Collected awards in BGU matches:
>Most Annoying Playstyle
>Lamest Killstealer
>Best Spectator

+Quote Post
gRanTeLbArT
post Jan 25 2011, 07:20 PM
Post #4

aaaaaa | TRR scream team
Group Icon

Well I guess you didn't understand Ram1, klif. Even if you use the cannon that is able to move left/right and tilt up/down, those cannons will stick into the ground or fly in the air if their aim is raised/lowered.

--------------------

+Quote Post
klifsnider
post Jan 25 2011, 07:34 PM
Post #5

Major
Group Icon

Oh, but the cannons by peacekeeper have a limit on how far you can tilt right? I've never seen one of those stuck in the ground...

--------------------
>Most Annoying Playstyle
>Lamest Killstealer
>Best Spectator

+Quote Post
gRanTeLbArT
post Jan 25 2011, 10:01 PM
Post #6

aaaaaa | TRR scream team
Group Icon

Not stuck, but it looks bad to sink into the ground either way

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ram1
post Jan 25 2011, 10:24 PM
Post #7

Lieutennant
Group Icon

that's what i meant grant, the one that did that model or those models, and still has the files (or can make others) we need to have the gun separate from the base and wheels,and recompiled in 2 models, that way we can make them move separately, just have to parent them together ,and it would work like a charm without having the base moving in the air or going underground.

+Quote Post
klifsnider
post Jan 25 2011, 10:29 PM
Post #8

Major
Group Icon

Aha, well I'm pretty sure Taxpayer made that model. The model was in one piece first, but Peacekeeper wanted the wheels to roll so TP made it into 2 seperate models.

--------------------
>Most Annoying Playstyle
>Lamest Killstealer
>Best Spectator

+Quote Post
Ram1
post Jan 26 2011, 10:09 PM
Post #9

Lieutennant
Group Icon

well i don't know if it's AP who did the model. but the ones in he's remake of ambush are not in 2 parts, I'll give this post a couple of days for an answer, and if nothing well I'll take a couple of weeks to learn modelling on my own, either that or buy myself a friend with modelling expertise :-)

+Quote Post
Steve
post Jan 27 2011, 12:23 AM
Post #10

Now avalible in Burdiet!
Group Icon

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,857

I could separate the other cannons out into individual models/sub-meshes if required?

Does the origin require changing on the sub-models? How is the pivot point calculated for things like the barrel + wheels?

--------------------
Tropical Coke : AMURICA R AMBAR WAVZ OF GRANE

+Quote Post
Ram1
post Jan 27 2011, 11:51 AM
Post #11

Lieutennant
Group Icon

the cannons we have are simple prop_statics, you can leave them like that, just separate the cannon from body+wheels, and it would be great, in hammer we use brush enteties to manipulate the models origins.

+Quote Post
AngryTaxPayer
post Jan 28 2011, 01:17 AM
Post #12

His Lordship
Group Icon

Member No.: 5,683

I made a cannon with independent wheels that were animated for forward, back, left, and right it should be on the repository since HP was coding it into the game.

Edit:

After reading closer it doesn't appear that you care about moving the wheels just the barrel. Here is a model that fits those requirements. It is my old cannon model reworked for your needs (shown below). If you are not satisfied with the way it looks plz do not change the texture directly, change the path for the material in the model sources (included since you were talking about modeling maybe my sources will help you speed up the learning curve).
Anyways if you want a texture tweak and don't wanna mess with the sources just send me a pic or some specifics and I'll repaint her for you (or tweak the mesh as well if you want a little different look). Anyways hope this helps you Ram1.

Download Link
http://www.filefront.com/17861596/CannonRam1.rar

Download Link

This post has been edited by AngryTaxPayer: Jan 28 2011, 04:13 PM

--------------------

The essential act of war is destruction, not necessarily of human lives, but of the products of human labor. War is a way of shattering to pieces, or pouring into the stratosphere, or sinking in the depths of the sea, materials which might otherwise be used to make the masses too comfortable, and hence, in the long run, too intelligent. And at the same time the consciousness of being at war, and therefore in danger, makes the handing-over of all power to a small caste seem the natural, unavoidable condition of survival. -George Orwell

+Quote Post
Ram1
post Jan 29 2011, 02:45 PM
Post #13

Lieutennant
Group Icon

well thx alot Angry, i'll give these models a try, i'm sure it'll work just fine, my other question is : this cannon is it based on British or American design? and if it's American can someone make me a British version or vis-versa.

i will learn to Model, but I'm sure it wont take me a week to learn, so any help in : witch tool, what program is best to use to start learning, and good tutorial links would be greatly appreciated.

Quote: I made a cannon with independent wheels that were animated for forward, back, left, and right it should be on the repository since HP was coding it into the game.

if he's coding these actions in the game wasn't it possible to just add the cannon up-down function to it ?

This post has been edited by Ram1: Jan 29 2011, 02:54 PM

+Quote Post
gRanTeLbArT
post Jan 29 2011, 04:45 PM
Post #14

aaaaaa | TRR scream team
Group Icon

I suppose the design is faction neutral as far as that is concerned. Americans used whatever they got anyway and that could be captured british pieces so no worries about that.

--------------------

+Quote Post
AngryTaxPayer
post Jan 29 2011, 11:32 PM
Post #15

His Lordship
Group Icon

Member No.: 5,683

QUOTE (Ram1 @ Jan 29 2011, 09:45 AM) *
Quote: I made a cannon with independent wheels that were animated for forward, back, left, and right it should be on the repository since HP was coding it into the game.

if he's coding these actions in the game wasn't it possible to just add the cannon up-down function to it ?

I don't know how far along he got on this to tell you the truth, but yes that could be done.
I could give you a model with animations for barrel movement, but it is probably easier for you to just manipulate a second model in hammer like you are doing.

This post has been edited by AngryTaxPayer: Jan 29 2011, 11:33 PM

--------------------

The essential act of war is destruction, not necessarily of human lives, but of the products of human labor. War is a way of shattering to pieces, or pouring into the stratosphere, or sinking in the depths of the sea, materials which might otherwise be used to make the masses too comfortable, and hence, in the long run, too intelligent. And at the same time the consciousness of being at war, and therefore in danger, makes the handing-over of all power to a small caste seem the natural, unavoidable condition of survival. -George Orwell

+Quote Post
Ram1
post Jan 29 2011, 11:47 PM
Post #16

Lieutennant
Group Icon

your probably right if the animation is done in the model, the then enteties wont be parented to the cannon movement, but only the full model itself even if the cannon moves it'll always shoot related to that same model. (unless coded in the game itself), so for now i'll use these 2 models you seperated.

thx.

+Quote Post
Steve
post Jan 30 2011, 09:41 AM
Post #17

Now avalible in Burdiet!
Group Icon

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,857

My 2 cents on the entity/hard-coded/animated cannon idea.

Use procedurally generated 'animations' via code for the barrel + wheels.
All it would require is that the wheels + barrel are bound to a specifically named joints that are then dynamically modified via code to reflect changes in the cannons state, this would result in the wheels turning faster depending on how quickly the cannon is moving.

The only limitation of this method I can foresee would be that wheel size would possibly need to be uniform across all cannon meshes, unless it was possible to grab the bounding box of a wheel's mesh and then derive the radius + apply this to the rotation speed calculation.

--------------------
Tropical Coke : AMURICA R AMBAR WAVZ OF GRANE

+Quote Post
Ram1
post Jan 30 2011, 03:44 PM
Post #18

Lieutennant
Group Icon

but can it be done ? would be alot less work for the mapper if it was codded, the way we do it now is to rename all entity-related to cannons good function, and is time consuming if you have 2 more cannons in a map (cannons where a big part of the revolutionary war, like it or not) alot of ppl are afraid of cannon spamming we just need to reduce the rate of fire to a realistic reload time .

i don't know anything yet about modelling, but I'm sure i seen sequences in hl2 where a certain model had parented effects to it wen used so I'm assuming that all the smoke and sound effects can be tied to the model itself in sequence, and all needed by mapper is install the cannon model and assign it to a specific entity and the rest is self animated.

the best by far would be the same as using a mounted machine gun by pressing (e) and having the ability to move the cannon axis with the arrows like in bg1 if i remember correctly, but if it's not possible to have it like that then at lease have the most effects coded to the model itself and this way only having to rename cannons to cannon1 cannon2, and so on.

might be alot of work I'm not sure, (I'm no coder) but this way the work is done only once, and not every time like the mapper has to do now, and that way he can pass more time doing what he has to do, and that is... make maps :-).

thx.

This post has been edited by Ram1: Jan 30 2011, 03:46 PM

+Quote Post
Ghillie
post Jan 31 2011, 01:29 AM
Post #19

Texture Artist

Group: Members
Member No.: 13,308

I made this cannon not too long ago texture still needs to be added

+Quote Post
Ghillie
post Jan 31 2011, 03:11 AM
Post #20

Texture Artist

ok textured it

+Quote Post
Ram1
post Jan 31 2011, 11:53 PM
Post #21

Lieutennant
Group Icon

not bad, can you separate cannon from base, and post a link, I'd like to see what it looks like in game.

question Ghillie, you made a tutorial right?, and if I'm right you use Maya, what exporting plugin do you use I'm trying to learn modelling. ( i'm still trying to figure out what program i will feal better with).

This post has been edited by Ram1: Jan 31 2011, 11:55 PM

+Quote Post
Ghillie
post Feb 1 2011, 12:27 AM
Post #22

Texture Artist

I export as a .OBJ

And I have the cannon in two parts:

Metal and Wood

+Quote Post
3DDEATH
post Feb 1 2011, 01:22 AM
Post #23

Major

Member No.: 2,430

QUOTE (Ghillie @ Jan 31 2011, 03:11 AM) *
ok textured it

That is very nice gj

--------------------

QUOTE (gRanTeLbArT @ Aug 25 2007, 02:47 PM) *
I will tell you what I think, this is horrible. Like all the other remakes of BG1 maps. There is a reason why we do not do that in any form. Do not bother to remake old bg1 maps. BG1 was a totally different game as draco pointed out and the maps are not going to work out on BG2.

Rejoice in thy youth,soon it will be gone

+Quote Post
Danihel
post Feb 1 2011, 04:28 PM
Post #24

Lieutennant
Group Icon

Member No.: 3,538

It would be nice to be able to control not only elevation but also direction. The cannons in alpine pass are entertaining for a little bit, but don't really cut it.

+Quote Post
Desertfox
post Feb 5 2011, 12:10 PM
Post #25

YARRRRR

Member No.: 3,498

QUOTE (AngryTaxPayer @ Jan 28 2011, 02:17 AM) *
I made a cannon with independent wheels that were animated for forward, back, left, and right it should be on the repository since HP was coding it into the game.

Edit:

After reading closer it doesn't appear that you care about moving the wheels just the barrel. Here is a model that fits those requirements. It is my old cannon model reworked for your needs (shown below). If you are not satisfied with the way it looks plz do not change the texture directly, change the path for the material in the model sources (included since you were talking about modeling maybe my sources will help you speed up the learning curve).
Anyways if you want a texture tweak and don't wanna mess with the sources just send me a pic or some specifics and I'll repaint her for you (or tweak the mesh as well if you want a little different look). Anyways hope this helps you Ram1.

Download Link

Download Link

Looks pretty nice.

--------------------

RIP Layne Staley

Games I'm currently playing:

Counter-Strike:GO, Starcraft II, Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel & Elder Scrolls Online

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th August 2019 - 05:39 PM