Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Pike Class
32nd capt. Troyl...
post Jun 26 2014, 05:49 PM
Post #1

Private

Group: Members
Member No.: 15,246

A new class that comes with a standard weapon of a pike and a secondary weapon of a sword

I understand if this May be a dumb idea but it might just toggle a greater idea

This post has been edited by 32nd capt. Troylance996: Jun 26 2014, 06:06 PM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Nathan Hale
post Jun 29 2014, 03:48 AM
Post #2

Original BG First Release Player
Group Icon

Group: Admin
Member No.: 124

The Americans actually considered "alternative" weapons at one point early in the war. Benjamin Franklin once suggested raising a regiment composed of longbowmen and supported by pike men because the Americans were so short on guns and gun powder. The idea was dismissed relatively quickly, but it's interesting you mention pikes because the Americans were actually desperate enough to consider using bow and pike among some troops.

--------------------

+Quote Post
The Emerald Arch...
post Sep 23 2014, 05:17 PM
Post #3

Private

Group: Members
Member No.: 15,253

QUOTE (Nathan Hale @ Jun 28 2014, 11:48 PM) *
The Americans actually considered "alternative" weapons at one point early in the war. Benjamin Franklin once suggested raising a regiment composed of longbowmen and supported by pike men because the Americans were so short on guns and gun powder. The idea was dismissed relatively quickly, but it's interesting you mention pikes because the Americans were actually desperate enough to consider using bow and pike among some troops.

well a longbow is a better weapon than a musket in every single way but power. It has a faster RoF, is much quieter, no smoke, more accurate, cheaply produced, no need to import powder and guns, etc etc.

The only main disadvantage being the greater difficulty to train troops in its use and it having less power. Using cover and camouflage like the indians did (stopping a world power for quite some time with limited resources) a bow would be much more effective. The main reason this was shot down, most likely, is that it'd be humiliating to use them if they lost a battle as the europeans would no doubt make fun of their use of bows, making America a laughing stock. The idea was probably laughed at like this by Franklin's fellow congressmen as well, even if it was sound.

This post has been edited by The Emerald Archer: Sep 23 2014, 05:17 PM

+Quote Post
Koach
post Oct 11 2014, 07:44 AM
Post #4

Bugger you.
Group Icon

Group: Retired Team Members
Member No.: 14,790

Not really. I myself took archery lessons, and within a few hours I managed to hit a target pretty consistently. Of course, barely managed one or two shots dead centre, but who cares about that when shooting at neatly lined up British infantry?

The only reason I would consider training would be to make the men stronger, thus allowing them to shoot heavier bows, but either way, any arrow shot from any bow can easily pierce through the woollen red coats of the regulars. It's not like they had armour, like some French cavalry during the Napoleonic wars.

Then again, I would imagine the soldiers' morale would drop significantly if they were issued bows and arrows rather than guns.

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th November 2019 - 08:41 PM