{22nd} Sol
post Jun 5 2009, 05:23 PM
Post #1

Captain

Group: Members
Member No.: 7,000

With the help of Tottel and hogan we created this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yKXVBk4k3KM
Soz about shit quality, cant really see the site thingy on the barrel.
Obv. its very basic, done in an hour or so.
But its better than nothing that we got atm.

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
analord
post Jun 5 2009, 05:31 PM
Post #2

BG's number uno

Member No.: 6,981

Well, good work
Its a nice start anyway

--------------------
Vitali Rapflow: frodo
Vitali Rapflow: find the ring
Vitali Rapflow: now
Vitali Rapflow: go
Be Blue ! Dallan disconnected.

+Quote Post
hairypotter
post Jun 5 2009, 07:53 PM
Post #3

Part of the Big Five conspiracy
Group Icon

Group: Retired Team Members
Member No.: 3,585

Ew, models need more detailed skins.
Also, the lock of the weapon overwhelms the screen, maybe if the fov was moved back..

Edit: I guess I'm thinking about howwe could use this to influence gameplay a little more. Rather than simply making guns more accurate.. Maybe we could drop the accuracy for snipers when firing from the hip but increase it when aiming... Perhaps prevent movement when using "Iron Sights".. Hmm

--------------------
fa⋅ce⋅tious  [fuh-see-shuhs] –adjective
1. not meant to be taken seriously or literally: a facetious remark.
2. amusing; humorous.
3. lacking serious intent; concerned with something nonessential, amusing, or frivolous: a BG2 developer.

+Quote Post
{22nd} Sol
post Jun 5 2009, 08:20 PM
Post #4

Captain

Yeh, the skins could do with a little update.
The problem with moving the fov back any more is the right hand gets in the way.
- in response to edit:
Thats what I was thinking, drop accuracy on all hip firing and have the same level of accuracy as we get at the moment when using iron sights. Perhaps limit movement speed to that of walking.

This post has been edited by {22nd} Sol: Jun 5 2009, 08:22 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Nathan Hale
post Jun 6 2009, 01:52 AM
Post #5

Original BG First Release Player
Group Icon

Group: Admin
Member No.: 124

You guys beat me to it-- I thought about this and yes: hip fire accuracy should be very low, iron sights would be roughly the same as now. The difference is that the rifles would have full rear and front sights (notch and stand type). The muskets would basically be as they are now. They might need the addition of the bayonet lug to aim from. Hip shooting would be reduced to emergency close up work only.

Iron sights would have a melee penalty: you can't stab from iron sights, but rather you have to drop back to hip sights and then you can use your bayonet as before. The lock action needs to be faster-- the hammer on these comes down pretty crisply.

Movement speed in iron sights would be very slow. We might be able to work some effects in iron sights (for example there should be a somewhat distracting flash from the pan in iron sights, though nothing too severe). A little drift of the gun in IS should be present too-- the long guns are HEAVY.

This is a pretty good start, though we'd need a few of these little things to come together too.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Jupa
post Jun 6 2009, 02:11 AM
Post #6

Lieutennant

Member No.: 3,358

You should be able to see your right hand while holding a musket, also the lock is probably too large to begin with.

Amazing work Sol, good job.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Nathan Hale
post Jun 6 2009, 03:05 AM
Post #7

Group Icon

QUOTE (Jupa @ Jun 5 2009, 10:11 PM) *
You should be able to see your right hand while holding a musket, also the lock is probably too large to begin with.

Amazing work Sol, good job.

This is true-- for awhile I couldn't put my finger on what looked weird, but it is the lock-- it seems a bit big. That said, I believe some of other guns have smaller locks. I'm pretty sure the new Revolutionaire has a smaller lock than the default Bess.

Moving FOV back a touch probably will be fine for now-- I think the big lock can be compensated a bit in that regard.

Needless to say, I really appreciate the third party work going on here-- this is great stuff.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Nathan Hale
post Jun 6 2009, 04:55 AM
Post #8

Group Icon

I'll also add-- I've been working on an American Brown Bess copy musket ("state militia musket") skin, and it does have a much darker stock than the regular British one. If anyone is interested in it, I can send it to them if it will help with these iron sights at all.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Tottel
post Jun 6 2009, 07:40 AM
Post #9

Sergeant

Member No.: 6,997

We've been optimizing it.. Right now, I've added 4 more accuracy types ( all in IronSight mode ): Crouch still/crouch moving/stand still/stand moving.

I'm working on the different movement speeds while in IS mode.. Should I let them stand still when in IS mode.. ?

+Quote Post
{22nd} Sol
post Jun 6 2009, 09:31 AM
Post #10

Captain

About the actual "sights" on the brownbess, didn't they have a little notch of metal like you can see at the end of the barrel on this one:

I really think the hand needs a re-skin as well if you want the fov moved back:

Plus, one of the fire animations messes up a bit and moves the gun model 'into' your view as you can see in the final shot I take in the video. The others are fine though.

--------------------

+Quote Post
gRanTeLbArT
post Jun 6 2009, 03:10 PM
Post #11

aaaaaa | TRR scream team
Group Icon

Member No.: 3,115

the problem really is that the shape of the hand does not match the shape of the coat there - you kind of look into the "inside" of the hand through a gap. As well as the low resolution texture of the hand.

--------------------
The Elders have foreseen victory this day!
Member of the TRR scream team.

+Quote Post
Nathan Hale
post Jun 6 2009, 05:45 PM
Post #12

Group Icon

That is not a sight per se, but rather the metal lug that secures the bayonet to the barrel.

It would be a little nub of metal that would lock into this:

It should be located right over the socket where the bayonet is. It's not "tall" like a sight would be, but it just a nub so the bayonet will lock-in. What you have already is on the right track, though maybe reshaped a bit to be a little shorter and fatter. But basically yeah-- that's what passes for a front sight on the military muskets. Charleville, Revo would all be the same sort of arrangement.

If you look at the picture you put up and the bayonet here, you'll see that it's just a socket kind of thing. Slide on and twist to lock in. But you're fairly close in terms of what you're doing. Just a couple tweaks would finish it up, I think.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Nathan Hale
post Jun 7 2009, 06:24 AM
Post #13

Group Icon

I've scripted in IS for a number of the other weapons, including the Jaeger rifle-- both front and rear sights should align on the Jaeger now.

I've done a set for all long guns that are basically consistent in look. The hand is in the foreground, looking down the barrel.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Nathan Hale
post Jun 7 2009, 07:37 AM
Post #14

Group Icon

At this point I've done scripts for all guns EXCEPT the british pistol, which I haven't had time to get to yet. I'll grab that soon. THey have been added to the current SVN version and you can try them now on our test beta.

And for those who like pistols:

--------------------

+Quote Post
{22nd} Sol
post Jun 7 2009, 10:15 AM
Post #15

Captain

Looking good Nathan.
I really don't think the look should include being able to see your right hand though, I mean, unless you can get a really nice new high res skin of it then its just making the whole thing look a bit shite - out of context you would just think it was a pink blob.
Having said that the pistol looks great with the hand visible.
EDIT: Just took a look on SVN and its coming along great. Fantastic work Nathan smile.gif
Just need to make it so it disables the crosshair when you're zoomed in and we're laughing

This post has been edited by {22nd} Sol: Jun 7 2009, 11:59 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post
gRanTeLbArT
post Jun 7 2009, 02:21 PM
Post #16

aaaaaa | TRR scream team
Group Icon

How do you enter IS mode? left click is used for hip shot and right click for bayonets on many weapons

--------------------

+Quote Post
{22nd} Sol
post Jun 7 2009, 02:32 PM
Post #17

Captain

Centre mouse button.
bind MOUSE3 "ironsights"

--------------------

+Quote Post
Nathan Hale
post Jun 7 2009, 04:43 PM
Post #18

Group Icon

Or you can bind in the normal controls menu-- I use Keypad 1.

I've stacked it up a bit and it seems to me that on most of these guns you can see your hand in the foreground as this blurry object right below your face (blurry because you're looking down the barrel). I wonder if it might be possible to do a hand reskin with a little better skin. Moving it forward of the hand might have to be done, but then you get the "giant lock" syndrome where the lock is bigger than the screen.

So I think, maybe a hand reskin. Then if that doesn't work, move the fov.

I talked to HP and we decided that we would:

-remove cl_crosshair in IS mode
-add tunnel vision in IS mode: where the edges of the screen fade-out a bit while in IS mode to simulate the tunnel vision of looking down the barrel at a target down range
-remove the idle animation in IS mode, check to see if the reload animation loops back to its original position or is off target

-Bonzo suggested that we also have being in IS mode be a stamina drain to an extent-- I agree with that since we don't want people in IS mode walking around the entire time. These are heavy guns and you can't hold them up for terribly long without some fatigue.

-the lower left main hud will be removed in IS mode (it already is now)
-I believe that hit notifications will be delayed until you leave IS mode to reload or go to hip for bayonet (that way they don't magically appear over the gun in IS mode). Near as I can figure this simulates the moment where you pull down the gun to see if you've hit your target.

Edit: thread moved into the beta test area since we've reached the phase now where people can test in SVN.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Nathan Hale
post Jun 7 2009, 08:19 PM
Post #19

Group Icon

For those working on this: here is a shot of a live fire smoothbore event of someone lining up and firing on a target. Because the gun has no rear sights and only a nub at the end, you get your face down as level as possible to keep the sight on proper target.

This should inform any FOV work on iron sights, if possible. It was a basic model for me when I did mine. Though mine are by no means final or definitive, and any useful changes or ideas are welcomed.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Nathan Hale
post Jun 8 2009, 03:04 AM
Post #20

Group Icon

Historical skin update to Pennsy, also got the British Tower Sea Pistol iron sight going.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Dubyah
post Jun 8 2009, 07:30 AM
Post #21

real motherfuckin G

Member No.: 2,639

they works good

--------------------

+Quote Post
Nathan Hale
post Jun 9 2009, 03:23 AM
Post #22

Group Icon

If anyone knows someone who does weapon model animations, please drop us a line.

We're currently having a problem where after reloading the gun does not fully return to the proper ironsight position, rather it is a little above where it should be. This could be fixed by modifying the reload animation so the gun returns to its original position. An animator would probably know how to fix this, but we don't have one.

If anyone on these forums knows one, please send him along to this site or put up some contact information for him. It's probably a relatively simple fix, but we don't have an animator on board right now it seems.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Dubyah
post Jun 9 2009, 09:04 AM
Post #23

real motherfuckin G

Member No.: 2,639

i used to know an animator but he got lost in the mail

--------------------

+Quote Post
gRanTeLbArT
post Jun 9 2009, 03:18 PM
Post #24

aaaaaa | TRR scream team
Group Icon

Are you sure about this? One shouldnt be able to stay in IS after a reload, so you could make people return to the idle animation of the normal hip level firing stance and make them bring up IS from there

--------------------

+Quote Post
Nathan Hale
post Jun 9 2009, 05:36 PM
Post #25

Group Icon

QUOTE (gRanTeLbArT @ Jun 9 2009, 11:18 AM) *
Are you sure about this? One shouldnt be able to stay in IS after a reload, so you could make people return to the idle animation of the normal hip level firing stance and make them bring up IS from there

HP played around with the idle animation, but I don't know if he tried exactly that or not.

What we were finding is you are in IS, shoot, then reload. The gun returns to hip position. Then you go back to IS but it's too high for where the bullet fires. HP probably would know if he tried the sequence you suggest though.

--------------------

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th August 2019 - 09:50 PM