> Bg_bunkerhill
AngryTaxPayer
post Aug 6 2010, 05:59 AM
Post #1

His Lordship
Group Icon

Group: Retired Team Members
Member No.: 5,683

Most of us who have played bg2 for a while know Semorph's version of Bunker Hill (atleast I am pretty sure it was his). This map wasn't bad for its day, though several updates since its creation have rendered it almost unplayable. Large errors and outdated textures kinda ruined the whole map. AP server seems to play this quite a bit and it was really starting to bug me, so I decided to fix the errors in the map and give it a small face lift. I did not want to mess with mechanics of the map so the changes are mostly cosmetic, though the cannon is not only a new model (sneak preview?) it is also a better, more versatile design, capable of firing in more locations. This is due to its ability to adjust for elevation as well as windage. Anyways I hope you guys enjoy this little update.

**I take credit only for updating, not creating.**

Screens

And, of course, a Download Link...........
http://www.filefront.com/17177622/bg_bunkerhill_new.bsp

--------------------

The essential act of war is destruction, not necessarily of human lives, but of the products of human labor. War is a way of shattering to pieces, or pouring into the stratosphere, or sinking in the depths of the sea, materials which might otherwise be used to make the masses too comfortable, and hence, in the long run, too intelligent. And at the same time the consciousness of being at war, and therefore in danger, makes the handing-over of all power to a small caste seem the natural, unavoidable condition of survival. -George Orwell
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
klifsnider
post Aug 6 2010, 11:01 AM
Post #2

Major
Group Icon

Group: BG Dev. Team
Member No.: 7,408

Very nice, although the sand texture looks a bit stretched. Maybe a higher res texture would look even better?

--------------------
Collected awards in BGU matches:
>Most Annoying Playstyle
>Lamest Killstealer
>Best Spectator

+Quote Post
gRanTeLbArT
post Aug 6 2010, 11:57 AM
Post #3

aaaaaa | TRR scream team
Group Icon

Member No.: 3,115

Well you can slightly lower the texture scale. That said I don't like that corpse at the cannon, and the ship wood texture makes the ships look like ghost ships

--------------------
The Elders have foreseen victory this day!
Member of the TRR scream team.

+Quote Post
jackx
post Aug 6 2010, 12:21 PM
Post #4

midnight devcult phenomena
Group Icon

Member No.: 1,223

In addition to the charred corpse (which you should probably replace with a dead militiaman), that cross looks out of place as well.
Ships look rather white on the screens, but don't display ingame for me at all, so it hardly bothers me.

GJ on the facelift in general, though - this is one of the better "crappy pub maps that is actually quite enjoyable", shame that it never really caught on on the EU servers.
Probably doesn't deliver enough gameplay fail for that, so they have to resort to glass_wars or hide-and-seek on harbourtown on a regular basis.

--------------------
no truth - no justice
all false belief
blinded by morality
there shall be... no peace
no peace!

-------

+Quote Post
klifsnider
post Aug 6 2010, 11:57 PM
Post #5

Major
Group Icon

Group: BG Dev. Team
Member No.: 7,408

Ok after downloading the map and taking a closer look, I agree that the corpse is a bit over the top, also the wood looks brand new and wet almost, but so close near the sea with the salty air wood should look more grey. The contrast between the wood & the ground in the trenches and the normal ground texture is too big, theres no harmony. Other than that nice facelift :)

goddamn my 2 AM posts are always terrible

--------------------
Collected awards in BGU matches:
>Most Annoying Playstyle
>Lamest Killstealer
>Best Spectator

+Quote Post
Quite Churlishly
post Aug 7 2010, 03:25 PM
Post #6

Towne Crier

Group: Members
Member No.: 5,548

I tried out the map, it seems cool (minus the fact that peoples' fps is bombing). I agree with above that the cross seems out of place, yada yada, corpse should be a class model, yada yada. I like how you can actually point the cannon down at the floor and kill all your team-mates that cluster up around the cannon.

Also you did take out the secret room didn't you? It seemed like every time we ran the old map on our server every player would form a queue line to jump onto that invisible road. Good job on that.

This post has been edited by Quite Churlishly: Aug 7 2010, 03:27 PM

--------------------
Openly admitting to being a "troll" and I hate children. Just saying!

+Quote Post
gRanTeLbArT
post Aug 7 2010, 05:51 PM
Post #7

aaaaaa | TRR scream team
Group Icon

I still like it, the reflections on the water are really good together with the skybox. I presume you renewed the skybox and light part or was it always that beatiful? Only problem is the water ends too early if you look down the coast lines in either direction. I always wanted to point that out to the original maker.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Nathan Hale
post Aug 8 2010, 01:16 AM
Post #8

Original BG First Release Player
Group Icon

Group: Admin
Member No.: 124

Lose the cross gravemarker.

--------------------

+Quote Post
AngryTaxPayer
post Aug 8 2010, 06:00 AM
Post #9

His Lordship
Group Icon

Thanks for the input on this map but I will not be changing it further. Look guys I really do not care about accuracy and all that crap on this map, my only goal was to fix the errors in the map, make the water/skybox/lighting somewhat presentable and introduce a new cannon model into the game. As long as the map looks better than it did before, I have accomplished what I set out to do. And since a picture is worth a thousand words.

BEFORE

AFTER

Enough Not Said...

As far as the cross and the corpse: A- I always put a religious symbol of some kind in my maps. There will always be a church or a cross or a picture of some holy figure, as it happens in this case, i chose to put one down by the water. This is just my brand, deal with it. B- The corpse is cool, if it really bothers you make another version of the map yourself :)

--------------------

The essential act of war is destruction, not necessarily of human lives, but of the products of human labor. War is a way of shattering to pieces, or pouring into the stratosphere, or sinking in the depths of the sea, materials which might otherwise be used to make the masses too comfortable, and hence, in the long run, too intelligent. And at the same time the consciousness of being at war, and therefore in danger, makes the handing-over of all power to a small caste seem the natural, unavoidable condition of survival. -George Orwell

+Quote Post
3DDEATH
post Aug 8 2010, 03:55 PM
Post #10

Major

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,430

QUOTE (AngryTaxPayer @ Aug 8 2010, 07:00 AM) *
Thanks for the input on this map but I will not be changing it further. Look guys I really do not care about accuracy and all that crap on this map, my only goal was to fix the errors in the map, make the water/skybox/lighting somewhat presentable and introduce a new cannon model into the game. As long as the map looks better than it did before, I have accomplished what I set out to do. And since a picture is worth a thousand words.

BEFORE

AFTER

Enough Not Said...

As far as the cross and the corpse: A- I always put a religious symbol of some kind in my maps. There will always be a church or a cross or a picture of some holy figure, as it happens in this case, i chose to put one down by the water. This is just my brand, deal with it. B- The corpse is cool, if it really bothers you make another version of the map yourself :)

Damm Right I have the vmf and in contact with Semorph. Not happy about trying to redo OUR map without permission. If you wanted to do it plz ask.

This post has been edited by 3DDEATH: Aug 8 2010, 03:55 PM

--------------------

QUOTE (gRanTeLbArT @ Aug 25 2007, 02:47 PM) *
I will tell you what I think, this is horrible. Like all the other remakes of BG1 maps. There is a reason why we do not do that in any form. Do not bother to remake old bg1 maps. BG1 was a totally different game as draco pointed out and the maps are not going to work out on BG2.

Rejoice in thy youth,soon it will be gone

+Quote Post
Nathan Hale
post Aug 8 2010, 04:44 PM
Post #11

Original BG First Release Player
Group Icon

Member No.: 124

QUOTE (AngryTaxPayer @ Aug 8 2010, 02:00 AM) *

BEFORE

AFTER

Enough Not Said...

Religious symbols in maps are fine. The sole issue I take with that particular cross is merely that it looks to be a Celtic Catholic cross.

But as you say, if it's a simple fix up then that's fine. The map in a repaired state is better than in a broken state. And since this is a "3rd Party Project", it's your map personally and not the team's. Bunker Hill often makes a fun map from the American side since you get lots of kills before the British usually reach you (especially in a disorganized pub game). I look forward to trying it out again in a big game.

--------------------

+Quote Post
AngryTaxPayer
post Aug 8 2010, 05:12 PM
Post #12

His Lordship
Group Icon

Death, this map has been broken for a long time and Semorph hasn't been around to fix it. I payed a tribute to Semorph by bringing it up to date for him, think of it as an honor.

Edit:

But I do apologize if I have upset anyone involved in the creation of this map. It was not my intent to displease anyone, in fact my goal was quite the opposite.

This post has been edited by AngryTaxPayer: Aug 8 2010, 05:16 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Steve
post Aug 9 2010, 12:12 AM
Post #13

Now avalible in Burdiet!
Group Icon

Member No.: 1,857

"think of it as an honor"

michael_jackson_purchasing_popcorn.gif

I'm quite impressed with the skybox, who was the artist? Hipshot? He always produces quality stuff.

The brushwork looks quite primitive in contrast with the other assets.

--------------------
Tropical Coke : AMURICA R AMBAR WAVZ OF GRANE

+Quote Post
gRanTeLbArT
post Aug 9 2010, 11:55 AM
Post #14

aaaaaa | TRR scream team
Group Icon

Brushwork is costly and inefficient in FPS both in source and even goldsource and it isn't even easy to make, so I can understand those who keep it simplistic. If you want something that is fast for the fps and visually appealing you really need to use models or displacements to make the fine shapes in addition to a basic blocky brushwork.

That said tax did a really good job changing the lighting setting and skybox and integrating his cannon model (with changing elevation and rotation of the cannon).

--------------------

+Quote Post
Steve
post Aug 10 2010, 01:24 AM
Post #15

Now avalible in Burdiet!
Group Icon

Member No.: 1,857

QUOTE (gRanTeLbArT @ Aug 9 2010, 11:55 PM) *
Brushwork is costly and inefficient in FPS both in source and even goldsource and it isn't even easy to make, so I can understand those who keep it simplistic. If you want something that is fast for the fps and visually appealing you really need to use models or displacements to make the fine shapes in addition to a basic blocky brushwork.

That said tax did a really good job changing the lighting setting and skybox and integrating his cannon model (with changing elevation and rotation of the cannon).

I can't imagine brushwork somehow became more difficult to create since goldsrc? Even the original BG maps have brushwork that is more imaginative then whats on display here. While it's true that it is more expensive then vertex-lit models/props, combined with the rather nice shader effects that you can use there is really no excuse (besides 'meh'). If I'm not mistaken there is a custom version of the map compile tool/s that allows you to convert brushwork into HL2's model format? Why not use that to create the detail that you consider too expensive for regular brushwork?

--------------------
Tropical Coke : AMURICA R AMBAR WAVZ OF GRANE

+Quote Post
gRanTeLbArT
post Aug 10 2010, 02:06 PM
Post #16

aaaaaa | TRR scream team
Group Icon

The difference is that source map makers don't have to learn brushworking to make a map. While in fact it has become easier because the 2d views contain info on the length and width of the bounding box of brushes so you can make precisely sized blocks without counting lines. I have to agree that a lot of BG1 brushwork was better than this. This custom tool exists and Jake already used it for bg_assault (the palisades were made with it), I can't quite remember the name but I could look it up.

edit: it is called Propper.

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th August 2019 - 09:46 PM