Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Bg2 Native Class Test., SVN
General Stuka
post Jan 17 2009, 02:19 PM
Post #1

Captain

Group: Members
Member No.: 6,785

I was doing a beta test of the new class today, so I thought I'd share it with you. The new class being added is a Mohawk warrior. Armed with a tomahawk, they are generally skirmish units but I've never had so much fun playing as one of these guys. Because of their weight, and carrying nothing but a tomahawk they move very fast, and all in all the hit boxes are very nice with the tomahawk. The characters model is very appealing on the orange box engine, and I must say the tomahawk has been modeled to such a good standard with perfect detail and no "smudgy" textures

http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=35a1w0y&s=5

http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=smx929&s=5

I've written up a log of various problems I found during beta testing yesterday morning, I'll pass them on. I look forward to seeing the native with the animations in place.

Regards.

Col.Stuka

--------------------

LOL SO KOOL DAWGGGGG
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Seebaer
post Jan 18 2009, 05:35 PM
Post #2

Modeler

Member No.: 1,567

Hm, its way tooo glossy, have to fix this...

+Quote Post
General Stuka
post Jan 19 2009, 08:27 AM
Post #3

Captain

But that works nice with the orange box engine, in comparison to the other play models this one is the most graphically appealing. The tomahawk look perfect, and doesn't have that smudged wood effect like on the muskets.

Also, I think the current models should be pulled out of that Hunchback stance. Midgits didn't fight in the 17th century, and with those models put in a better stance it allows the animator to work with the skeleton.

This post has been edited by General Stuka: Jan 19 2009, 08:28 AM

--------------------

LOL SO KOOL DAWGGGGG

+Quote Post
Seebaer
post Jan 19 2009, 01:32 PM
Post #4

Modeler

i think the current animations are very well O_
But for the blurry textures on older models. it's possible that the other textures are smaller, which would explain the blurryness. and the metallhead is way to glossy, looks like a bumpy mirror wink.gif

+Quote Post
General Stuka
post Jan 19 2009, 03:54 PM
Post #5

Captain

Well if I were to speak for most of the people who come on our server animations are cropped up the most, Which is why Gibson is making better ones.

Also, never heard of a bumpy mirror XD

--------------------

LOL SO KOOL DAWGGGGG

+Quote Post
Seebaer
post Jan 19 2009, 09:19 PM
Post #6

Modeler

<quote>
Also, never heard of a bumpy mirror XD
</quote>

Thats the problem wink.gif

<quote>
animations are cropped up the most
</quote>

What do you mean with cropped up?

But if Gibson is doing some, okay, he is very welcome smile.gif

But another Topic, wanted to take a look for myself, but i get a memory exception error when BG2 is starting the server...is that only me, or also for other people? It's the latest revision...

+Quote Post
General Stuka
post Jan 19 2009, 11:18 PM
Post #7

Captain

Well I generally just "Create a server" and go from there, some times I get some dodgy errors but I'll keep an eye out for that. Make sure your accessing it via the steam games list rather than the desktop icons.

And what I mean by "Cropped Up" is brought up basically.

--------------------

LOL SO KOOL DAWGGGGG

+Quote Post
Seebaer
post Jan 19 2009, 11:43 PM
Post #8

Modeler

same way for me, my games list -> create server -> hit okay -> wait -> "initilizing world" or something like that -> crash...

+Quote Post
.:Steroid:Peas:.
post Jan 22 2009, 05:43 AM
Post #9

Private

Member No.: 4,552

i want to cry...this will probly be my favorite class now smile.gif

+Quote Post
DivaBebopinYou
post Jan 22 2009, 03:59 PM
Post #10

The Real Sobe Pimp Daddy!

Member No.: 6,828

lol. This is too funny. Why an Indian class? I can see the tomahawk, but really. And, if you can't throw it in this coming release then I you are "uber false" 100 times over. Well, I take it that you are not going to make this a historical mod anymore. biggrin.gif hehe.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Seebaer
post Jan 22 2009, 04:31 PM
Post #11

Modeler

Hey diva, please do me a favor: try to write in an understandable way. For me as a non nativ english speaker its very hard to understand what you wanna say.
As for your question: historical mod yes, of course, why not with indians? See it as a step to the community. There were request for something like that for years now...
But that step does not mean we will fullfill every request, there were long debates about a forth class and what it could be, but there won't be flag bearers in the future wink.gif Maybe if CTF is coming along well there could be a feature to stab with the flag ^^
And no, throwing is definatly no feature in the upcoming release, but possible in later ones.

greetings from germany

+Quote Post
post Jan 22 2009, 04:52 PM
Post #12

Private

It's not entirely inaccurate, the battle of Oriskany had natives wink.gif
actually...now that i think of it, there were some small battles in Ohio between natives and brits around 1774. Battle of Point Pleasant.

your just scared that i'm going to bash open your head and eat your brains diva.

+Quote Post
post Jan 22 2009, 05:17 PM
Post #13

Private

edit above: after looking up what little i know, it seems that the battle of point pleasant was between virginia militia and natives. Eventually made it's way up to ohio (Shawnee areas). It's not AWI but i dunno, what other classes were brought up in the dev debates?

+Quote Post
gRanTeLbArT
post Jan 22 2009, 06:49 PM
Post #14

aaaaaa | TRR scream team
Group Icon

Group: Retired Team Members
Member No.: 3,115

No others for the british. This model was finished and with our limited resources we could not see why it should be wasted. The nation of Iroquis Indians was fully involved in the war, with one group, the Mohawks, being on side of the british and one fighting for the americans.

Also remember it is a class, and we can easily set its allowable amount to 0 on maps where there cannot realistically be any of them. They were also involved in the saratoga campaign and the battle of oriskany during said campaign.

--------------------
The Elders have foreseen victory this day!
Member of the TRR scream team.

+Quote Post
Seebaer
post Jan 22 2009, 11:04 PM
Post #15

Modeler

Thanks grantel for the historical advise wink.gif
As said iam german and in historical terms more interessted in my own history, that is no excuse as grantel is also a german...
There are other personal reasons i joined the mod team. To tell you something: i loved playing DoD 1.1b (not source) on LAN-Parties just with the bazooka and the knife/spade. After those lans i found BG which is exactly the same gameplay, total fun, much strategy and nice people biggrin.gif

greetz

+Quote Post
ceacar99
post Jan 24 2009, 07:15 PM
Post #16

Corporal

Member No.: 4,368

QUOTE(gRanTeLbArT @ Jan 22 2009, 12:49 PM) *
No others for the british. This model was finished and with our limited resources we could not see why it should be wasted. The nation of Iroquis Indians was fully involved in the war, with one group, the Mohawks, being on side of the british and one fighting for the americans.

Also remember it is a class, and we can easily set its allowable amount to 0 on maps where there cannot realistically be any of them. They were also involved in the saratoga campaign and the battle of oriskany during said campaign.

really not complaining about a native class. the question is why just a tomahawk? at least with my understanding its not even historically accurate, and we already have a fast melee class.

i mentioned in another thread that the frontiersmen were students of the east coast natives way of war(which is why them wearing boots and white clothes is historically inaccurate). the colonists discovered that the natives would get rifles at every opportunity and would rely on sudden ambushes either with tamahawk or picking at the large unit formations with shots coming from behind trees and bushes. however, if you built a class like that you'd get something that behaves in game a lot like the frontiersman. so the issue is that we already got a skirmisher(though one specifically designed to fail at melee....) and we already got a primary melee class. so how can we fit the native class in without it just being a redundancy?

+Quote Post
Nathan Hale
post Jan 24 2009, 07:34 PM
Post #17

Original BG First Release Player
Group Icon

Group: Admin
Member No.: 124

QUOTE(ceacar99 @ Jan 24 2009, 02:15 PM) *
QUOTE(gRanTeLbArT @ Jan 22 2009, 12:49 PM) *

really not complaining about a native class. the question is why just a tomahawk? at least with my understanding its not even historically accurate, and we already have a fast melee class.

i mentioned in another thread that the frontiersmen were students of the east coast natives way of war(which is why them wearing boots and white clothes is historically inaccurate). the colonists discovered that the natives would get rifles at every opportunity and would rely on sudden ambushes either with tamahawk or picking at the large unit formations with shots coming from behind trees and bushes. however, if you built a class like that you'd get something that behaves in game a lot like the frontiersman. so the issue is that we already got a skirmisher(though one specifically designed to fail at melee....) and we already got a primary melee class. so how can we fit the native class in without it just being a redundancy?

When we talk about indians and frontiersmen, we're talking about very "irregular" troops: no uniform armament or uniforms.

The indian is representative of the "old northwest" indians that resided in upper New York state and the Great Lakes regions. By the time of the Revolution, the belt axes and tomahawks were part of the traditional native warfare. There are examples of very finely crafted belt axes and tomahawks made by the tribes. Certainly not all indian warriors carried these, but some did. These warriors preferred the axe to the bayonet because it was lighter and faster than a full musket and bayonet combo.

The frontiersmen often fought in what could be called "hunting attire". Hunting frocks and outfits from the period vary from brown to light tan in color. Some are darker and some are lighter. We're currently working on a modification that will reflect this variety, or at least make the frock a little less "bleach white" than it is currently. Depending on your computer color settings, the current attire may appear more white than tan. This is just to say though that not all hunting attire was dark brown. The current skin may indeed be a bit light, so we're working on a darker variant too. It's not really correct to speak of "frontiersmen" as one large, uniform body of fighters. Frontiersmen were usually equipped with personal hunting equipment, which varied widely. Some fought with boots and lighter frocks, others with attire more similar to the indians. That's part of what made them "irregular" troops in the eyes of "regular" commanders.

The role these classes will take in the game are a that is not presently filled by any current class. The officers are melee support and tactical movement players: they are merely to assist the regular infantry and scout out tactical locations. Some players excel with the weaponry of the Officers, but generally they don't hit as hard as regular infantry and don't stand a good chance in a protracted fight (again some players play them better than others and can make them a threat; I speak only generally here). The frontiersmen and the jaeger are long-range fighters. They do not participate well in melee or close combat. They move pretty fast though. The skirmishing class (indians and local militia) fill a void between the officers, regulars, and long range marksmen. The skirmishers move faster regular infantry, but pack more of a punch than officers or long range marksmen. They won't do as well in a head-to-head melee as regulars, but they fill a nice harassment role and pose a serious threat to officers and marksmen because they're quick as well. It provides players an option to have a full battle musket, but to also remain quick and avoid melee if need be. The people who will excel in this class will probably be hit-and-run players who shoot and move along just out of the way of the bayonets of the regulars. Their hitting power is greater than the rifles, but not as long-ranged.

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st July 2019 - 07:04 AM