> Bg_ruins, work in progress
Ram1
post Dec 25 2009, 02:12 PM
Post #1

Lieutennant
Group Icon

Group: Retired Team Members
Member No.: 4,458

i started this project a couple months back, before moving to a location without Internet.
i finally found my files related to it, and I'm back into it, for now about 10% of layout is completed, but it's going good.

the American spawn is completed up to the bridge path, we'll be posting screen shots soon.

BTW: happy holidays to all of you.

Ram1.

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Nathan Hale
post Dec 25 2009, 07:37 PM
Post #2

Original BG First Release Player
Group Icon

Group: Admin
Member No.: 124

I love Ruin--but I will agree the overall size should be scaled back a touch. Perhaps scale it at 80% its previous size. Progressive spawning probably would be a good idea if it's going to be big. That helps.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Peacekeeper90
post Dec 25 2009, 07:59 PM
Post #3

Major
Group Icon

Member No.: 13,687

what? i think that today bigger maps are possible! linebattles are popular - and realistic (!!!) maps are expected.
the players dont want unrealistic landscapes, terrains with funny hills and graphics - they want realistic battlefields.
and we have much to less maps like this. a good example is taxs newest map, this is how a map should look like ^^

+Quote Post
gecko
post Dec 25 2009, 10:37 PM
Post #4

King Gecko of 1.0F Dev
Group Icon

Member No.: 2,511

QUOTE (Peacekeeper90 @ Dec 25 2009, 07:59 PM) *
what? i think that today bigger maps are possible! linebattles are popular - and realistic (!!!) maps are expected.
the players dont want unrealistic landscapes, terrains with funny hills and graphics - they want realistic battlefields.
and we have much to less maps like this. a good example is taxs newest map, this is how a map should look like ^^

Bigger maps are not possible, common misconception, just because you think your pc can handle them, and they are not suited to the BG gameplay either, and fuck linebattles. Not realistic either. I can't remember what tax's new map is but all the new maps I've seen have been open landscapes, this is not the terrain of NA during this period and IT HAS TO STOP NOW. And most of them are very unskillfully made displacement maps with way to curvy looking hills that trail off in to something like the XP default background or the set of teletubbies.

+Quote Post
Jupa
post Dec 26 2009, 01:16 AM
Post #5

Lieutennant

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,358

Gecko is right, gently rolling hills, dense forest, wide plains and empty fields are NOT what the American landscape looks like.

America is literally a fucking maze of sheer cliff faces.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Tropical Coke
post Dec 26 2009, 03:35 AM
Post #6

Sergeant Major

Member No.: 13,371

AMURICA R AMBAR WAVZ OF GRANE

+Quote Post
Steve
post Dec 26 2009, 04:54 AM
Post #7

Now avalible in Burdiet!
Group Icon

Member No.: 1,857

QUOTE (Tropical Coke @ Dec 26 2009, 04:35 PM) *
AMURICA R AMBAR WAVZ OF GRANE

QFT

--------------------
Tropical Coke : AMURICA R AMBAR WAVZ OF GRANE

+Quote Post
3DDEATH
post Dec 26 2009, 05:55 AM
Post #8

Major

Member No.: 2,430

QUOTE (Jupa @ Dec 26 2009, 01:16 AM) *
Gecko is right, gently rolling hills, dense forest, wide plains and empty fields are NOT what the American landscape looks like.

Jupa I'm shocked. America is great, Why do u think the Brits wanted it!!!!

--------------------

QUOTE (gRanTeLbArT @ Aug 25 2007, 02:47 PM) *
I will tell you what I think, this is horrible. Like all the other remakes of BG1 maps. There is a reason why we do not do that in any form. Do not bother to remake old bg1 maps. BG1 was a totally different game as draco pointed out and the maps are not going to work out on BG2.

Rejoice in thy youth,soon it will be gone

+Quote Post
gecko
post Dec 26 2009, 08:41 AM
Post #9

King Gecko of 1.0F Dev
Group Icon

QUOTE (Jupa @ Dec 26 2009, 01:16 AM) *

Sure, its what the central states look like, but New England? Nope.

Besides, none of these open maps have the 'dense forest' look at all.

And where the fuck did I say that you have to put sheer cliff faces all over your map?

+Quote Post
QwErTy
post Dec 26 2009, 04:57 PM
Post #10

Lieutennant

Member No.: 13,322

wtf ?

I would love to see bg1 maps again, and yes its cool if theyre big, I mean, I fucking hate the current bg2 maps, theyre all very small 'nature' maps wich have almost nothing to do with the historical background, the rev war

But, thats all we have, those little utterly boring undetailed 'deathmatch' maps. for example 'bg_plateau', damn I hate that one

Ive read someone here saying that is exactly the bg2 community needs, well, NO IT FCKING AINT
that crap just made this mod die

You're suddenly making a great progess on the development of the models, sounds, other stuff, Good Job on that!
So what remains... yes, the maps

Apart from the already discussed shitmaps I'd rly like to see some nicely made big mapz, if necessary with progressive spawning, which brings the good old bg1 feelings back. damn I liked bg1.

gerrytown is a big step in the right direction, but I hope more will follow soonishly.

Merry Christmass and stuff, QwErTy

+Quote Post
analord
post Dec 26 2009, 05:08 PM
Post #11

BG's number uno

Member No.: 6,981

FUCK ROAD I WANT MVALLEY BACKKKKKKKKKKKKK

--------------------
Vitali Rapflow: frodo
Vitali Rapflow: find the ring
Vitali Rapflow: now
Vitali Rapflow: go
Be Blue ! Dallan disconnected.

+Quote Post
Jupa
post Dec 26 2009, 05:33 PM
Post #12

Lieutennant

Gecko you've declared that hills plains fields and forests are a travesty that's literally tearing apart the battlegrounds experience. What other land features do you expect people to put in their maps besides cliff faces then? (like old bg1 maps)

Not to mention, as a member of the team you probably should address this with the official map makers in private rather than screaming about what a 'terrible job they're doing ' on the public section of the forum.

This post has been edited by Jupa: Dec 26 2009, 06:07 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Cpl.Kieth
post Dec 26 2009, 06:08 PM
Post #13

#1 fanboi

Member No.: 7,417

He clearly wants massive lakes and marshes

--------------------
I can put a fucking iron triangle in your head from 9ft away with my long land pattern brown bess flintlock musket.
* K *: YA I GIMP SHIT TOo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QH2-TGUlwu4

+Quote Post
gecko
post Dec 26 2009, 06:42 PM
Post #14

King Gecko of 1.0F Dev
Group Icon

QUOTE (Jupa @ Dec 26 2009, 05:33 PM) *
Gecko you've declared that hills plains fields and forests are a travesty that's literally tearing apart the battlegrounds experience. What other land features do you expect people to put in their maps besides cliff faces then? (like old bg1 maps)

Not to mention, as a member of the team you probably should address this with the official map makers in private rather than screaming about what a 'terrible job they're doing ' on the public section of the forum.

You think I'm screaming out here? Jesus, you should see the team forums.

I never said forests were a travesty. Forests are one of the easiest ways to 'edge' a map, if done properly. What I'm saying is that very few BG2 maps do this. From memory, bg_fall and the tomdon map do this, kind of, but they have problems such as badly aligning skyboxes, or lack of middle-distance detail. They are a good START however. If you want examples of a real good way to edge your map check out the sdk_arena_lumberyard form the team fortress 2 sdk, it has a fantastically constructed skybox which even fits the terrain profiles of typical BG2 maps. Also, check out the other TF2 maps, they have some of the most detailed and well constructed skyboxes/detailed exterior areas of pretty much any maps I've seen. Their concepts are easily transposed to the BG paradigm.

However, what I can't do anything about is people not reading around the subject, checking out others works, tutorials, or just not having the skill to map properly.

+Quote Post
Jupa
post Dec 26 2009, 06:59 PM
Post #15

Lieutennant

I think the difference is, I'm a casual mapper who isn't good at making maps at all and those TF2 maps are literally made by groups of people who are experts on the subject (as its their job), and have a team who can make assets for them if they want to add something in , and a legion of play testers to determine if it works correctly or not.

--------------------

+Quote Post
gRanTeLbArT
post Dec 26 2009, 07:45 PM
Post #16

aaaaaa | TRR scream team
Group Icon

Member No.: 3,115

QUOTE (analord @ Dec 26 2009, 06:08 PM) *

= ctf_river

The TF2 maps are neither realistic nor back in the 18th century, all those silos and gold mines and wagons and all the other shit you can think of plain simply didn't exist or looked completely different. I have the balls to not give a shit about what gecko says or what other people do. I do it when I like to.

This is still about RAM1 who is going to remake a bg1 map, and he still hasn't posted any pictures. There is no need to be all like the bgl forums all over this place yet.

--------------------
The Elders have foreseen victory this day!
Member of the TRR scream team.

+Quote Post
gecko
post Dec 26 2009, 07:56 PM
Post #17

King Gecko of 1.0F Dev
Group Icon

QUOTE (gRanTeLbArT @ Dec 26 2009, 07:45 PM) *
QUOTE (analord @ Dec 26 2009, 06:08 PM) *

= ctf_river

The TF2 maps are neither realistic nor back in the 18th century, all those silos and gold mines and wagons and all the other shit you can think of plain simply didn't exist or looked completely different. I have the balls to not give a shit about what gecko says or what other people do. I do it when I like to.

This is still about RAM1 who is going to remake a bg1 map, and he still hasn't posted any pictures. There is no need to be all like the bgl forums all over this place yet.

No, TF2 maps are not time period accurate in terms of props that populate them, however their terrain design is universal, and pretty much the best out there. And lumberyard especially suitable for BG2 type maps, I suggest you take a look.

And Jupa, each TF2 map is only really made by one person, and BG certainly has more than enough people to playtest them. And just because its not your job doesn't mean you can't be an expert on it

+Quote Post
Nathan Hale
post Dec 26 2009, 09:05 PM
Post #18

Original BG First Release Player
Group Icon

Member No.: 124

A common misconception is that the eastern region of America now looks like the eastern region of American in the 18th century. The assumption is that it was even more heavily forested then than it is now. That actually is not entirely true, especially in the north and in New England. New England (at least the settled portions) in the 1700s was actually MORE wide open than it is now. Most of the forest you see in New England currently dates to the late 19th century or early 20th century, by which time the region was converted to manufacturing from farms in many places. The 18th century saw a large number of open farming areas-- the wood was cut to provide fuel for cooking and heating fires in almost every home. Now certainly you had heavy forests in the unsettled portion at the time. But it is a common misconception that America was one big forest in 1770-80. The truth of the matter is that there was a very wide range of terrain from forests on the frontier to wide open farm land where people had settled. So strictly speaking, wide open field maps are not automatically incorrect. Where fighting took place around homesteads and farms, this open terrain would be appropriate. Frontier fighting, though, would be more heavily forested.

I'm not saying that anyone here is just plain wrong, but I will warn against making blanket assumptions that "America was this way" or "that way". In fact, you get a wide variety of terrain, and as much as some people hate the wide open field maps, that sort of terrain is not strictly inaccurate, the question of gameplay aside. Now gameplay is a question of opinion, so I'll leave that aside for now. But beware making broad assumptions that aren't entirely true.

I look forward to Ram1's interpretation of Ruin.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Steve
post Dec 26 2009, 10:39 PM
Post #19

Now avalible in Burdiet!
Group Icon

bbl abusing pubbers on strangeways with tales of homosexual conquest.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Cpl.Kieth
post Dec 27 2009, 06:51 AM
Post #20

#1 fanboi

Member No.: 7,417

Good times steve

--------------------
I can put a fucking iron triangle in your head from 9ft away with my long land pattern brown bess flintlock musket.
* K *: YA I GIMP SHIT TOo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QH2-TGUlwu4

+Quote Post
Steve
post Dec 27 2009, 09:16 AM
Post #21

Now avalible in Burdiet!
Group Icon

If you make ruin into strangeways wif a kastle, I'll turn into Mel Brigsom and linebattle you to dead.

I am not even SLIGHTLY drunk yet.

--------------------

+Quote Post
3DDEATH
post Dec 27 2009, 02:27 PM
Post #22

Major

QUOTE (Steve @ Dec 27 2009, 10:16 AM) *
If you make ruin into strangeways wif a kastle, I'll turn into Mel Brigsom and linebattle you to dead.

I am not even SLIGHTLY drunk yet.

Let me try to explain what hell is going on. First bg_ruins will be much like the bg1 map. Maybe not as big but certainly 64 player playable. The whole object here is to find and make FUN maps that everyone likes. I prefer historic maps!! BG1 had Bunkerhill, Saratoga, Ticonderoga. How close was these maps to the actual terrain of the times. Maybe we should have a separate forum for History of the War, where everyone can post pics they have found of America during the times. Because you all have pretty much destroyed this post. All Ram1 said is he is starting on the Map and this thread turned into a debate. Only thing so far in this thread that made sense was Nates post. Hey Tax remind u of anything. STAY On topic

--------------------

I will tell you what I think, this is horrible. Like all the other remakes of BG1 maps. There is a reason why we do not do that in any form. Do not bother to remake old bg1 maps. BG1 was a totally different game as draco pointed out and the maps are not going to work out on BG2.

+Quote Post
3DDEATH
post Dec 27 2009, 08:09 PM
Post #23

Major

Screen shot time< American Spawn

--------------------

+Quote Post
Peacekeeper90
post Dec 27 2009, 09:08 PM
Post #24

Major
Group Icon

Member No.: 13,687

maybe you download the svn - then u can use the new textures! :)

+Quote Post
Commander James
post Dec 27 2009, 10:40 PM
Post #25

Da-MiGhTy

Member No.: 2,523

god damnit no one cares about your shitty textures

and ram1 make it more brighter, its way too dark

--------------------
YOUR LOVE MAKES ME STRONG. YOUR HATE MAKES ME UNSTOPPABLE.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 10th December 2019 - 01:00 AM