IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

4 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Don't Flay Me Alive, A major suggestion
Decide!
You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Total Votes: 27
Guests cannot vote 
LaBelle
post Jan 26 2011, 04:36 AM
Post #1

Lieutennant

Group: Members
Member No.: 14,712

So, what I'm about to propose may seem radical to some older members of the BG2 community, but I want it made clear first off this is with all due respect to TRR, and all the great vets who made line battle what it is today. What I'm talking about is a re-vamp of the current Line battle rules. A re-vamp so big, it's aimed at jabbing BG2 out of its stagnation.
First off, the main aim of this plan is to combine (without destroying) Line battles with scrims. While I'm aware the goals of those two types of matches are completely different, let it be known that both game types could still be played separately at any given moment. What we know now as "Line battles" are nothing short of anomalies, created to look cool and be simple, but leave a bit to be desired in terms of strategy. On the other hand, what we know as "Realisms" were created to offset the unrealistic battles played out in Line battles, but usually boil down to who has the better players on their team. Scrimmages are the bastard child of both, two teams attempting to control the map to gain the most points, but again this falls down to who has the better melee experts. I want to change this. I want to combine Realisms with Line battles and in turn create something that is exciting, fun, and challenging, not only to the individual soldier, but to the commander as well. Anyone can form a line on a hill and give fire orders; I want to produce something that requires a bit more talent.

Before I get into my proposed rule changes, allow me to give you guys a quick reason as to why I'm suggesting this. We all know BG2 could use more players and a fresher take on clan warfare. I see this happening in a multi-step fashion. Say these rules are agreed upon by the Line battle units; suddenly, units are creating and training Light Infantry companies. With the new tactics being used, pubbers potentially start to take a real interest in Line battles and Clan scrimmages. With the influx of players into units and squads (both Line battlers and Scrimmers, as the new game mode would need both) and with the need for clans to adjust to the threat of militia, tactics change. Now, that one hill that always served you well on Strangeways is a death trap. So clans and mappers start to work on new maps; maps with room for that double line formation to keep watch for the enemy line, and its Light Infantry screen.

So now, we have an influx of players into units and new maps being generated. Well now other people are seeing the progress of the mod, and its "awesome, cool, fun"(I use those terms as examples!) game type that's played out by Units with real cohesion! So now we attract new players as well, who can still enjoy a fun time on Ambush, or capture a town in Quebec if they want to. So now that we have those players, there's all kinds of new talent for things like Model-making, map-making, what have you. A new cycle hopefully begins, not one of stagnation, but of renewal and intrigue. I'm not saying ANY of this will happen, and even if it does it won't happen over night. All I'm proposing is a real effort to be made by the community. If you don't like my idea, that's fine. But please, instead of telling me I have the worst ideas ever, start to work on your own. Or even tell me what you think would be great, and we'll work on something together. The point I'm making is: This is my idea, my small way of trying. So without further wait, I give you my new rules for Formation Warfare.

1. Line infantry must make up between 70-80% of the total number of soldiers on the field. If fielding two lines, each line must have 6 soldiers minimum.

2. Both teams must field 12 members per team.

3. If you are more than 20 minutes late, or fail to make your team ready within 10 minutes of joining the server, you forfeit. You may request a re-schedule, but it MUST be agreed upon by the other team.

4. Crouching is fine, unless commander states otherwise.

5. Light Infantry and Militia platoons are acceptable when they move in a recognizable formation. A skirmisher formation must consist of 3 or more soldiers. If the formation is diminished under 3 soldiers, the line must regroup with the Line Infantry.

6. Light Infantry and Militia may charge a line without firing a volley.

7. The use of Sharpshooters(Frontiersman/Jaeger) is allowed to ONE player on each team, and may act as a lone wolf. This number can change based on map and if agreed upon by both teams.

8. Using Shot ammo is to be minimized to One-Two Skirmishers. Number may vary based on map/team size.

9. Soft cover is allowed to all soldiers(i.e. Anything that does not stop bullets.)

10. In the event of a Line being forced to skirmish, the Line Infantry may act as Skirmishers unless ordered to charge, in which case no soldier may reload his piece.

11. Commanders are fair-game. Commanders may stand behind their line in order to examine the battlefield. Commanders may not, however, move too far from the line.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well, I'm leaving the rest up to the community. What I would like to see is the Line battle community coming together to discuss additions and add-ons, editing and erasing, or any such combination of those to the rules. What I laid down is in the spirit of the old TRR rules: A way for everyone to have fun in a cohesive, unified way. If the community likes what I did here, we'll put up a formal list of rules. Until then, I'll be waiting for a reply.

Just be gentle with me.

EDIT: My rules were vague, so I added to them. Also, some edits to the rules as asked by the community. More edits to come as the community starts it's think-tank!
RE-EDIT: Deleted some "obvious" or "common-sense" rules, added some cool concepts. DISCUSS.
EDIT(1/31): Added a rule, changed a rule.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
*****NEW Proposed Rule set. March 9th, 2011.*****
1. Regiments may raise One(1) skirmisher group. This group performs just like a normal linebattle line, but main difference is this line may skirmish 2 soldiers ahead of a main line, but MUST stay within close proximity to the main line when they do. Other wise, if at full numbers, they may function like a line off on their own. Skirmishers must not make up more than 33% of the total regiments numbers on the field.
2. Skirmishers may not use shot.
3. Line infantry must stay in close order formation, fire in volleys, yadda yadda.

Now, in case you are all wondering, that would mean this ruleset would be an ADDITION to the ones already being used in the LBC, which is the old TRR/83rd hybrid bastard child no one can quite quote. I think this would make it a lot more accessible and pub friendly.

This post has been edited by LaBelle: Mar 9 2011, 05:17 PM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Guest_Hawke_*
post Jan 26 2011, 04:42 AM
Post #2

Guests

I would love to see this, or something like it put into effect, the current LB rules work. But thats all, after so many years of faithful service I think it's time for a change, perhaps the current rule set could be maintained for pubber line battle, but as far as competitive matches go, it's getting very stale. Therefore in addition to the discussion on these forums I would like to call for a meeting of all Line battle commanders to discuss this issue, and make a resolution. (preferably in SVN for shits and giggles.) I leave the best time for such a meeting to the respective leaders to post below.

Col.Hawke

47th Lancashire regiment of foot.

+Quote Post
42CdoGen.Greedyc...
post Jan 26 2011, 08:56 AM
Post #3

Private

Member No.: 14,700

Sounds good to me, will actually make the game more interesting.....a lot of the guys are getting bored.

Well you name a time and place hawk and me or joe will be there ^^

+Quote Post
AngryIRSAgent
post Jan 26 2011, 09:04 AM
Post #4

|AP| [bg2-dev]
Group Icon

Group: Retired Team Members
Member No.: 5,717

I will make it my goal to have AP follow as such...

--------------------
|AP| Clan Leader

+Quote Post
klifsnider
post Jan 26 2011, 11:44 AM
Post #5

Major
Group Icon

Group: BG Dev. Team
Member No.: 7,408

Maybe linebattle & skirmish clans can even form alliances where the skirmish clan acts as the skirmish group <:)
I wonder what 29th will say. Being the best LB clan atm they probably have the most to gain from keeping the old rules.

Also hawke: if you do it in clanmatches only, you won't be helping the community and drawing in new talent like labelle said :) I don't think it's that much more effort than holding normal linebattles.
I think the community will prefer these multiple-unit battles, la Mount & Musket.

This post has been edited by klifsnider: Jan 26 2011, 11:46 AM

--------------------
Collected awards in BGU matches:
>Most Annoying Playstyle
>Lamest Killstealer
>Best Spectator

+Quote Post
Guest_Hawke_*
post Jan 26 2011, 03:07 PM
Post #6

Guests

True that, and it's also where MnM kick our ass, it's got a more interesting play experience, But BG's combat system still remains it's strength, and that is what we should build on.

+Quote Post
LaBelle
post Jan 26 2011, 03:55 PM
Post #7

Lieutennant

Also real quick guys, if you're voting for the "Major Improvement" poll, please state what you mean and how you would fix anything, thanks!

+Quote Post
Ad-Man
post Jan 26 2011, 05:15 PM
Post #8

Part of the Big Five conspiracy
Group Icon

Group: Admin
Member No.: 3,147

Personally I prefer the NON-LBL ruleset.

All jokes aside this is a great idea. All I would say is that the rules shouldn't be too strict. The whole no crouching thing is a bit odd to me, the only two reasons ive heard for it are the smoke goes in the standing players line of sight and something about your hitboxes being bigger.

--------------------
Do you cant read me ? Not read ..
Not like whot i write ? not read too ...
Where is the problem ?

QUOTE (Copywright (wallhacker/bad modeler))
BGu had a chance of coming back but Roob failed sad really

+Quote Post
LaBelle
post Jan 26 2011, 05:24 PM
Post #9

Lieutennant

I'm trying to keep to the older rule set a tad, if only to keep things looking clean. It just looks silly if three guys are crouching in a line and the rest are standing up. However, if it's a silly rule we can always say "To Hell!" with it and crouching will be a-ok!

+Quote Post
Crippled_Fetus
post Jan 26 2011, 06:04 PM
Post #10

Private

Member No.: 14,699

The objective of these guidelines are to improve the playing of professional line battles (as opposed to militia battles on a public server) and we should try to encourage all combatants to take note of so that a form of procedural standardisation can be reached:

[1] The Officer in Charge (OinC) must type '!S' into ingame chat to signify that his team is ready, and it is considered bad form to move out of the spawn before the enemy OinC has also called '!S'.

[2] All formations used by either side must be close rank ie: all men shoulder-to-shoulder whilst engaging the enemy in formation.

[3]Crouching / ducking / kneeling is forbidden unless it is necessary to allow the rear rank to shoot over the heads of the kneeling front rank.

[4] In the case that the OinC of either force is killed, he must cease to command immediately and a subordinate must take over.

[5] Whilst variations in tactics are absolutely encouraged within line battles, using natural innate objects to shield your men or a proportion of your men on the battlefield whilst giving fire at the enemy is disallowed.

[6] If the order to charge is issued, the side which charges may spread out to an acceptable degree, but it is considered poor gamesmanship for the charging force to open fire at an enemy close order formation unless charging force is immediately prior to melee engagement.

[7] No formation may open fire until all of its members have come to a complete halt and are properly spaced in close order. However, battlefield stress must be taken into account in the event of minor breaches.

[8] Splitting your force is allowed, but only where doing so does not leave a group of less than 6 team members in a 'line'. Both 'sections' of your force must apply to all guidelines, and if casualties are taken to lower the number of a section to less than 5, it must join the other section before continuing the fight, unless it is engaged in melee.

[9] Period tactics including the use of advanced techniques such as two rank lines are encouraged as the object of a line battle is not primarily to obliterate the enemy, but to re-enact as close as is feasible possible and to enjoy the experience.

[10] As a general guideline, if a tactic in use could be considered ungentlemanly; it is frowned upon within the battle. An example of this may be using hit and run guerilla-style tactics, or positioning yourself at the extremity of a map to prevent enemy movements onto a flank.

+Quote Post
gRanTeLbArT
post Jan 26 2011, 07:05 PM
Post #11

aaaaaa | TRR scream team
Group Icon

Member No.: 3,115

I'd agree that some of the old rules are too strict, and I think some new ideas and skirmish elements aren't necessarily bad. A new form could estabilish aside of normal skirmish scrims and normal linebattles. The old rules are strict with regard to splitting forces with minimum of 6 and other things. But they are still very good for one reason: They are very precise and concise. Yours are not.

--------------------
The Elders have foreseen victory this day!
Member of the TRR scream team.

+Quote Post
Guest_Hawke_*
post Jan 26 2011, 07:21 PM
Post #12

Guests

QUOTE (gRanTeLbArT @ Jan 26 2011, 07:05 PM) *
I'd agree that some of the old rules are too strict, and I think some new ideas and skirmish elements aren't necessarily bad. A new form could estabilish aside of normal skirmish scrims and normal linebattles. The old rules are strict with regard to splitting forces with minimum of 6 and other things. But they are still very good for one reason: They are very precise and concise. Yours are not.

Which is why this post is here on the forums so this issue can be debated and ironed out, this (or a variation on it) is really something I would like to happen for many reasons, But we could also come up with a compromise, a new set of Lb rules, but also keep the old ones, sort of classic Line battling, both versions could be played.

+Quote Post
LaBelle
post Jan 26 2011, 07:22 PM
Post #13

Lieutennant

Yes, I realize this. It's why I am continuously editing the above rules as time goes on. Please don't just vote "No" based on how loose the rules, provide insight as to how you would go about the rules, or some rules you wish to see.

+Quote Post
LaBelle
post Jan 26 2011, 07:33 PM
Post #14

Lieutennant

QUOTE (gRanTeLbArT @ Jan 26 2011, 08:05 PM) *

I need you to be a bit more clearer however, so I can understand what to change: You like the overall idea, but not mine because I wasn't strict enough? Do I have that about right?

+Quote Post
Swarth
post Jan 26 2011, 08:22 PM
Post #15

Corporal

Member No.: 14,458

This is a reply to your original post, LaBelle. I think this definitely has a lot of potential but I'd like to address this bit by bit.

1. Too loosely worded, it seems. So if you have 6 men in line your entire line can fire? I don't really understand that part of the rule.

2. I don't believe that should be mandatory unless you're organizing a line battle championship or a tournament and should have no effect on clan vs. clan warfare.

3. Same as rule 2, in my opinion. It's just that subject casual line battles to these two rules in particular would make them... well... not casual hahaha.

4. A given. I agree.

5. No comment.

6. Again, the rule itself is a bit loosely worded but that can be worked on. I just don't think it's such a good idea because it would create SO MANY problems if the opposing team kills all of the main line and the skirmishers are left. Do they charge? Skirmish? Or is it viewn as an unfair way to waste more time?

7. No comment.

8. No comment.

9. Hmm, I'm going to have to take your side on this one to an extent. I just don't believe it's fair for one team to line up behind a dip in the ground and force the opposing team to attack constantly. It's like that small area by the trees in Strangeways to which the Americans will always get to first.

10. LB rules?

11. I don't know. I wouldn't go as far as to allow charging infantry to reload after the fire (in the middle of a charge) but that's just my opinion on the matter.

12. It's strategy, I guess. I don't know if there should be a real penalty for it but clearly it's deemed unsportsmanlike as it is.

13. Of course. Already against the current rules.

I'm not trying to rip you apart, I'm just offering my two cents in this, yah know?

Swarth

--------------------
|42Cdo|Maj.Greedychris |1LDR|: in training one time Shane made everyone stare at grass for 10 minutes after we lost a clan match.

"So Swarth, you'll be playing with us?" - Macs
"Nope. I'm with the 29th. I've been a spy all along." - Me
"Well, that's fine, the only thing he managed to find out was how fuckin' gay we are."- Macs

+Quote Post
LaBelle
post Jan 26 2011, 08:33 PM
Post #16

Lieutennant

Rule 1 should have been edited in my initial edit; If a team of 15 wants to use two lines, each line must have 7 soldiers in it to be considered a line. I'll explain better in my next edit.

Rule 2 was meant for championships, and should not be considered a Public rule.

Rule 3 is the same as above in terms of not HAVING to be in Public battles.

Rule 6 can be worked on, the way it stands now is just to introduce the Light Infantry and Militia into the fray.

Rule 9 is already being re-worked, I'm thinking no cover for Line Infantry, or perhaps up to the shins?

Rule 10 is just to let people know they can still play by the old scrim rules, if that's what you mean

Rule 11 means quite simply that no Line Infantry may fire while charging. Bear in mind I wrote this up last night at 1:30 a.m.

Rule 12 I wasn't really working on a penalty for it, just a gentlemen's agreement?

I hope this cleared some things up, and again I MUST stress this is a WIP.

+Quote Post
mpc
post Jan 26 2011, 09:29 PM
Post #17

Padawan of Grantelbart
Group Icon

Group: BG Dev. Team
Member No.: 6,884

In-case anyone was wondering what rules we at The Royal Recruits use and have been using for the last 5-6 years. I link to you the LB rules made by Arquebusier + others: http://z7.invisionfree.com/TheRoyalRecruit...1589"]LINK

Quote:

"The objective of these guidelines are to improve the playing of professional line battles (as opposed to militia battles on a public server) and we should try to encourage all combatants to take note of so that a form of procedural standardisation can be reached:

[1] The Officer in Charge (OinC) must type '!S' into ingame chat to signify that his team is ready, and it is considered bad form to move out of the spawn before the enemy OinC has also called '!S'.

[2] All formations used by either side must be close rank ie: all men shoulder-to-shoulder whilst engaging the enemy in formation.

[3]Crouching / ducking / kneeling is forbidden unless it is necessary to allow the rear rank to shoot over the heads of the kneeling front rank.

[4] In the case that the OinC of either force is killed, he must cease to command immediately and a subordinate must take over.

[5] Whilst variations in tactics are absolutely encouraged within line battles, using natural innate objects to shield your men or a proportion of your men on the battlefield whilst giving fire at the enemy is disallowed.

[6] If the order to charge is issued, the side which charges may spread out to an acceptable degree, but it is considered poor gamesmanship for the charging force to open fire at an enemy close order formation unless charging force is immediately prior to melee engagement.

[7] No formation may open fire until all of its members have come to a complete halt and are properly spaced in close order. However, battlefield stress must be taken into account in the event of minor breaches.

[8] Splitting your force is allowed, but only where doing so does not leave a group of less than 6 team members in a 'line'. Both 'sections' of your force must apply to all guidelines, and if casualties are taken to lower the number of a section to less than 5, it must join the other section before continuing the fight, unless it is engaged in melee.

[9] Period tactics including the use of advanced techniques such as two rank lines are encouraged as the object of a line battle is not primarily to obliterate the enemy, but to re-enact as close as is feasible possible and to enjoy the experience.

[10] As a general guideline, if a tactic in use could be considered ungentlemanly; it is frowned upon within the battle. An example of this may be using hit and run guerilla-style tactics, or positioning yourself at the extremity of a map to prevent enemy movements onto a flank.

The guidelines are based on the experience of fighting line battles which should be an enjoyable experience in which technical expertise counts as much as raw firepower and dogged determination. The current line battle config should be enabled to allow for a better experience for both teams as it allows the use of more complex tactical manoeuvres under enemy fire.

The objective of these guidelines, is to allow the maximum freedom of movement within the sensible rules. In addition to that, they should encourage people away from thoughts of total annihilation of the enemy more towards a series of mobile and more enjoyable engagements.

Arquebusier"

This post has been edited by mpc: Jan 26 2011, 09:42 PM

--------------------
Want to join TRR? www.theroyalrecruits.com - Plexi's cat can see your soul!

+Quote Post
LaBelle
post Jan 26 2011, 09:37 PM
Post #18

Lieutennant

This is another problem I've ran into, as I have been shown three seperate rules lists now.

+Quote Post
Quite Churlishly
post Jan 26 2011, 09:44 PM
Post #19

Towne Crier

Member No.: 5,548

QUOTE (LaBelle @ Jan 25 2011, 11:36 PM) *
Just be gentle with me.

1. Sort of agree. If you're going to split your formation, both should be relatively organized and not consist of a "rambo squad" of three or four people to tear up your enemies in melee while your crappier melee are taking potshots.

2. Don't agree. At least 14? The game's engine is designed for 12 v 12 and it's hard enough to scrounge up players. If you want to create more clans, more teams and the like you should keep your line battles a tad smaller for a minimum requirement, that way you can run more division in your own clan and thus create more internal competition instead of doing this whole "WAH OLDER MEMBERS ARE SUPERIOR" crap.

3. Agree. (I'm going to get chastised for this) Punctuality is the thing that separates good clan leaders from terrible clan leaders and practicing good punctuality is a sign of a healthy clan in the league.

4. Hacking: Yes. Abusing Glitches: Yes. Mic-Spamming? No. I enjoy spamming HLSS for the rest of my team, who usually enjoys it more.

5. The only time I think crouching shouldn't be allowed is if you're using it to take cover behind objects in order to "protect" yourself, which I might add I find completely insulting and drab in pubs.

6. & 7. UGH COMPLICATED. DON'T MAKE BG2 PLAYERS DO MATH WE'RE TOO STONED.

8. Yay 6 points of damage!

9. Cover is still cover regardless of if it was built by man, god or Taxpayer.

10. Wat?

11. I agree. once it boils down to skirmish it should just be over after the charge.

12. Somebody got shot right before they got the bayo range in a little too much didn't they? I think a shot is a shot, and anything's fair in melee as long as it gets you a kill.

13. Including Point Blanking?

I think you've got some good ideas amongst you. However you've got to think about bigger pictures though. Not everyone wants to follow a massive shit-ton of rules right down to the letter, especially pubbers. If you want to encourage more people to play lines you need to standardize a looser style of holding line battles for public/private play while, at the same time, make a more strict rule-set specifically for matches/tournaments.

Just my two cents.

--------------------
Openly admitting to being a "troll" and I hate children. Just saying!

+Quote Post
LaBelle
post Jan 26 2011, 09:48 PM
Post #20

Lieutennant

In regards to the 14 minimum, I was just using the TRR rules as a guide. Anything and everything is flexible! Keep the constructive brainstorms coming guys, I am really digging this conversation.

+Quote Post
gRanTeLbArT
post Jan 26 2011, 10:01 PM
Post #21

aaaaaa | TRR scream team
Group Icon

Member No.: 3,115

QUOTE (LaBelle @ Jan 26 2011, 08:33 PM) *
QUOTE (gRanTeLbArT @ Jan 26 2011, 08:05 PM) *

I need you to be a bit more clearer however, so I can understand what to change: You like the overall idea, but not mine because I wasn't strict enough? Do I have that about right?

I mean that you have to be more precise in your rules but keep them short and simple. You don't need 13 rules to begin with as that is going to be too many anyway. What's the point having a rule about clan forfeits/lateness or point blanking? About hacking? You need to focus on the bigger picture and the new ideas you have got in this and bring it down to 6-7 clear points. You say you want to make it possible to use normal skirmish maps and to have 70-80% line infantry (meaning 20-30% other skirmish troops). You need to focus on these new things and the most important basics.

--------------------
The Elders have foreseen victory this day!
Member of the TRR scream team.

+Quote Post
LaBelle
post Jan 26 2011, 10:04 PM
Post #22

Lieutennant

Oh okay, I get what you mean now. I'll work on that(One of the reasons I added so many was because I thought people wanted a DEFINITE list, like the others I had seen.) After this meeting that we're supposed to have, I can surely limit the number of rules to under 10, no problem.

+Quote Post
Guest_Hawke_*
post Jan 26 2011, 10:08 PM
Post #23

Guests

At the very least we have more activity on this god damn forum then we have in awhile, here's hoping 2.1 will be a smashing success! AHHAAHHAHAHA!

+Quote Post
Ad-Man
post Jan 26 2011, 11:03 PM
Post #24

Part of the Big Five conspiracy
Group Icon

Member No.: 3,147

3. If you are more than 20 minutes late, or fail to make your team ready within 10 minutes of joining the server, you forfeit. You may request a re-schedule, but it MUST be agreed upon by the other team.
This is more a rule for competitions rather than a gameplay rule.

4. Hacking, abusing glitches, and mic-spamming during a match is an automatic forfeit.
Same as above.

5. Crouching in line is appropriate when the formation is two ranks deep, or when avoiding friendly fire. Crouching as Skirmishers is allowed.
I'd say just no crouching during reload/volley as you may want to wait in cover for a while before moving out from your current postition.

8. Shot is not allowed.
I don't see any real reason to forbid it.

9. On the issue of cover, Line Infantry may use natural cover (Hills, trees) only if the formation was set before the enemy formation was formed. Line Infantry may NOT use man-made cover such as houses, barns, churches. Skirmishers may use cover as needed, but may not fortify a position (i.e. constantly hide behind houses when reloading) or garrison a house unless it is the last formation remaining.
Are the skirmishers supposed to move around constantly or just stay in the open all the time?

10. Scrims are still to be played on normal scrim maps, should the two Clans agree to such.
Unecessary rule.

12. The act of "point blanking" is allowed to Militia and Light Infantry, but deemed unsportsmanlike for Line Infantry.
It may be unsportsmanlike but I'm sure anyone would do it over being killed.

13. Retreating as the last man standing is Cowardice, and any action may be taken to kill the LMS as deemed necessary.
Agreed, no likes chasing twice around strangeways.

--------------------
Do you cant read me ? Not read ..
Not like whot i write ? not read too ...
Where is the problem ?

QUOTE (Copywright (wallhacker/bad modeler))
BGu had a chance of coming back but Roob failed sad really

+Quote Post
Nathan Hale
post Jan 26 2011, 11:34 PM
Post #25

Original BG First Release Player
Group Icon

Member No.: 124

I like this concept, a lot. Quotes in regular text, my responses in italics below:

1. Line infantry must make up between 70-80% of the total number of soldiers on the field. A proper line consists of 6 or more soldiers and must maintain a close line at all times.

This is fine with me, though if particularly interested in realism it may vary based on the map somewhat or if a particular historical battle is the "scenario".

2. Both teams must field 14 members per team.

That seems a little big for some maps. But for the big ones it would work.

This is more about logistics than about actual game play. But that's fairly generous. It should be ok if people don't abuse.

4. Hacking, abusing glitches, and mic-spamming during a match is an automatic forfeit.

All fine, except enforcement is the trick with this one.

5. Crouching in line is appropriate when the formation is two ranks deep, or when avoiding friendly fire. Crouching as Skirmishers is allowed.

This is ok I guess. I wouldn't allow crouching while reloading for line infantry.

6. Light Infantry and Militia platoons are acceptable when they move in a recognizable formation. A skirmisher formation must consist of 3 or more soldiers. If the formation is diminished under 3 soldiers, the line must regroup with the Line Infantry. Skirmisher groups MAY NOT charge on their own. They must be accompanied by the main line in order to engage in melee. Skirmishers MUST stay in ONE loose, recognizable group.

I don't like this rule. The point of skirmishers is to act as irregulars, and that often means acting as a lone wolf/shooter. I'd allow one or two Jaegers/Frontiersmen per side as well.

7. Light Infantry and Militia MAY NOT initiate a charge. The main line MUST engage the enemy first in hand to hand combat.

Too rigid, takes away a nice array of tactics. I'd eliminate this rule. It prevents "hit and run" style mini-charges and raids. That's part of what skirmishers do.

8. Shot is not allowed.

I agree with Roob, it should be allowed for the classes that carry it. Perhaps it could be limited to just 1 or 2 guys per side though. It adds a nice strategic dimension.

9. On the issue of cover, Line Infantry may use natural cover (Hills, trees) only if the formation was set before the enemy formation was formed. Line Infantry may NOT use man-made cover such as houses, barns, churches. Skirmishers may use cover as needed, but may not fortify a position (i.e. constantly hide behind houses when reloading) or garrison a house unless it is the last formation remaining.

I disagree with the part about "constantly hide behind". What is "constantly"? Enforcement of this one is hard and not really worth it. Skirmishers and marksmen are meant to "stalk" around and use cover freely. It's part of their nature and an important part of strategy unique to each map's cover. The part about "cover" for line is ok, I think.

10. Scrims are still to be played on normal scrim maps, should the two Clans agree to such.

ok

11. In the event of a Line being forced to skirmish, the Line Infantry may act as Skirmishers unless ordered to charge, in which case no soldier may reload his piece.

Drop the limit on reloads, I think the decision to reload or not is strictly the decision of the players/teams. I wouldn't put it in a rule. It's strategy.

12. The act of "point blanking" is allowed to Militia and Light Infantry, but deemed unsportsmanlike for Line Infantry.

What's a point blank? 10 feet? 20 feet? Less? It isn't worth even dealing with this. Besides, point blanking was actually a legitimate strategy used to conserve ammo and "shock" the other side into retreat, or to stop a charge. PB is fair game in my book, all around.

13. Retreating as the last man standing is Cowardice, and any action may be taken to kill the LMS as deemed necessary.

Is this BG or a Fox hunt?

I really like this concept. I've been advocating a hybrid game style for years now and it never seemed to take full root. I'd love to see this sort of new rule set happen. I'd like to see the gap bridged between the LB people and the skirmish people. Perhaps each can find a role and we can build a large, high quality league mixing all these elements. Someday... maybe... Keep at it-- this is worth the work and I'd love to see more innovations.

--------------------

+Quote Post

4 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 15th December 2019 - 02:16 PM