> 2.2 Suggestions
Forlorn_Hope
post Nov 13 2011, 11:22 PM
Post #1

Cat Herder in Chief
Group Icon

Group: BG Dev. Team
Member No.: 2,023

Well, with 2.1(.1) out the door, as a team we're sitting down and brain storming about what we want to do in 2.2. Of course, anything we can do is limited by our resources, but this is brain storming. What would you like to see in 2.2, and, perhaps more importantly, what's your historic backing for it?

--------------------
"There will be no more naked sunbathing." An actual rule for the base I was on, in the middle of Afghanistan.

"Forlorn basically said everything right." Codename:V
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Hawke
post Nov 13 2011, 11:27 PM
Post #2

Top player, top choice
Group Icon

Group: Team Leader
Member No.: 14,831

Submarines.

whistling.gif

--------------------
bjn: no time for sean nanny goons

+Quote Post
Koach
post Nov 13 2011, 11:34 PM
Post #3

Bugger you.
Group Icon

Group: Retired Team Members
Member No.: 14,790

as i don't want to begin a flame war with anybody, i'm just gonna make visual suggestions.

*get rid of the current LP skin and add Hawke's

*Add a W_ model for the new fowler

*fix the animation bug that makes you look like you aim somewhere else (still happens to me)

*the royal infantry's arm looks weird when i take aim

*fix that damn animation bug with the carbine. it's really annoying to think someone's reloading when he's not.

*the smoke still clusterfucks in line battles, and i cant see shite after a volley.

*the guns that had updated their textures (say, brown bess, charleville, carbine, etc) have barrels that look like ice. i had to go 1 by 1 and fix them myself.

*IMO the sleeves are a little... too square-ish. mind making them less symmetric?

*just for the sake of it, make the guns have some stock texture variants... (asner's idea)

*the only gameplay issue i'm mentioning here: nerf the shotguns.

if you do not like these ideas, please, do not complain here. PM me if you want flame me bout em.

--------------------

+Quote Post
mpc
post Nov 13 2011, 11:41 PM
Post #4

Padawan of Grantelbart
Group Icon

Member No.: 6,884

All suggestions are allowed Santi, if someone does not agree with you, they should take it up with you by PM, if they start flaming yours or anyones suggestions, we will delete those messages as they come. This topic is for suggestions only, not for angry LBers vs Skirmisher wars.

This post has been edited by mpc: Nov 13 2011, 11:41 PM

--------------------
Want to join TRR? www.theroyalrecruits.com - Plexi's cat can see your soul!

+Quote Post
Forlorn_Hope
post Nov 13 2011, 11:45 PM
Post #5

Cat Herder in Chief
Group Icon

mpc has the right of it. As long as the suggestions are kept in the framework of "American Revolution, 1775 - 1783", it's wide open.

--------------------
"There will be no more naked sunbathing." An actual rule for the base I was on, in the middle of Afghanistan.

+Quote Post
gRanTeLbArT
post Nov 14 2011, 12:27 PM
Post #6

aaaaaa | TRR scream team
Group Icon

Member No.: 3,115

QUOTE (santi koach @ Nov 14 2011, 12:34 AM) *
*the smoke still clusterfucks in line battles, and i cant see shite after a volley.

But that is perfectly realistic. What if we worked on a more configurable smoke instead so people with a bad graphics card could lower the settings to a "low" setting, and use the current setting as "normal"?

--------------------
The Elders have foreseen victory this day!
Member of the TRR scream team.

+Quote Post
Alpha
post Nov 14 2011, 04:12 PM
Post #7

Corporal

Group: Members
Member No.: 14,910

- Longer shooting delay to counter pbing
- Fix the reloading animation bug where whoever is reloading finishs before the animation does
- Can never have too many maps
- Remove some of the axes damage
- Shotgun is too powerful imo

+Quote Post
James Asner
post Nov 15 2011, 08:02 AM
Post #8

Captain

Member No.: 14,047

It's late but I had the oddest idea. Probably won't make any sense in the morning. For the melee weapons as a person strikes their forward momentum should shift their pivot point forward. Not sure how this would affect gameplay, but I think it might help with the bayonet physics issue. Instead of having the "damage point" (no idea what you can it in code) be a fast moving point on the end of a stick you could treat the bayonet and musket with real physics, giving it weight and counter balance against the player. Maybe even restrict angular movement by a percentage during the .1 seconds of strike.

This could be an alternative to restricting speed with a loss of stamina. If someone stabs and contacts maybe they lose angular momentum. If they miss maybe they increase angular momentum. If they strike a ridged object maybe they are stunned or pushed backward. Anway, tired. Goodnight.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Koach
post Nov 15 2011, 03:28 PM
Post #9

Bugger you.
Group Icon

Member No.: 14,790

i like the idea on paper... but idk how it would affect gameplay. probabaly people will add |2.2 sucks| tags to their names, after what i saw in 2.1.0... well... i would leave melee as it is.

--------------------

+Quote Post
BIKA
post Nov 15 2011, 03:31 PM
Post #10

Lieutennant

Member No.: 14,854

James Asner, that's basically the most and farthest kind of unnecessary thing they should work on. The DEV team simply doesn't have the capabilities to make some drastic changes like that, it never has. When BattleGrounds II was first being worked on people had all these weird and crazy ideas about how they should make the melee system confusing and potentially broken/bugged. Mostly because it was already weird and crazy, and "broken," at least in source. Like this picture:

They had these kind of ideas for it, but it's just simply not worth the effort and then the after math of trying to fix the guaranteed problems with it.

What you're saying is essential having the gun "weigh" something and throw the player around, god, that is something not even a AAA game-developer will look at and think is a good idea. It's obviously doable to an extent in source, but having the current balance and speeds changed, again, by making people's "angular movement" shift from normal to, "OK you missed, have a boost of speed," to "OK you hit someone, enjoy being stuck on them, like you almost are already," and then making this happen all the time, with every player in a server. It's way to taxing. Look at the Source mod Age of Chivalry, they over complicated what they tried to do with melee, and the game is completely unbalanced and broken, the only reason someone would even play it or think it's fun, is because it's hilariously stupid.

As for the rest of these suggestions, I know I'm sounding like I'm on a big fucking pedestal here, but making a suggestion to change simple aesthetics isn't exactly that important I would assume, for the DEV team. They made one of the better updates to the game with 2.1-2.1.1, actually improving the game-play for every player, regardless of how much they care to become better or if they simply enjoy the act of shooting.

While it's great that you care about:

"*get rid of the current LP skin and add Hawke's"

"*the royal infantry's arm looks weird when i take aim"

"*fix that damn animation bug with the carbine. it's really annoying to think someone's reloading when he's not."

"*the guns that had updated their textures (say, brown bess, charleville, carbine, etc) have barrels that look like ice. i had to go 1 by 1 and fix them myself."

"*IMO the sleeves are a little... too square-ish. mind making them less symmetric?"

"*just for the sake of it, make the guns have some stock texture variants... (asner's idea)"

The DEV team doesn't. It's not something that they WANT to "fix", according to you. It's not something that's affecting anybody, but the 1-out-of-10 person that looks at it and has a background of needing to be aesthetically pleased by a couple pixels on a texture, or "the way" it looks when you do a certain actions like using iron sights.

I could write a couple thousand words, but i'll stop. It's just annoying to think no one has anything to say, but "fix this! now fix that! It doesn't look good on my eyes!"

You want more maps, you want weapon's changed in any way, the damage, animation, looks? Then, at least tell them a reason why, and why it makes sense for them to even glance at your statement. The DEV team isn't fucking robots sitting all day smashing code and pumping out maps. Give them SOMETHING to work with at least, not a fucking list, like they're your bitch. Entertain them, think about the repercussions of an idea and if it even makes mechanical sense.

You want a couple new maps, but you aren't technically inclined to create one yourself, then at least give them an IDEA to work with, explain what you want. They wouldn't be doing this if they didn't enjoy creating things, and there's more enjoyment out of creating something someone else thought of, rather than yourself, it takes less time and means more. I'm done now.

--------------------
__
(^_^=)[XXXX]~
BIKA
\_+_//_+_\

+Quote Post
Sejd
post Nov 15 2011, 04:31 PM
Post #11

Corporal

Member No.: 14,258

Some suggestions for the ticket mode:
Have subtle dings for the automatic drain of tickets when you have more than 50% of the flags, different ding for each team

Have some kind of announcement when a team has all their tickets drained.

Lower the max amount of players needed to cap a flag when their tickets are completely drained,
Example;
All the tickets of the brit team has drained.
There is two brits still alive.
They should be able to cap a three person flag to be able to make some kind of comeback.

Other suggestions/bug reports:
If you still have a bullet and are using ironsight, if you press reload you will lower the sights even though you don't need to reload.

In the Old SVN (didn't try it out for awhile) the game actually remembered your gun if you got autoswitced, this no longer seems to be the case in 2.1.1.

If class restrictions is in effect and someone who is an officer gets switched they can break the class limit on that team.
Example;
Class restriction of the officer is 1 on both teams.
The American team does not have any officer playing
The American team has more players than the British team so every British who tries to go American auto goes back to the British team again.
If the British players choose to go American Officer they get the British officer instead.
This makes it able to have a whole team of officers even though the limit is 1.

Can't think of anymore for now..

This post has been edited by Sejd: Nov 15 2011, 04:43 PM

+Quote Post
gRanTeLbArT
post Nov 15 2011, 06:50 PM
Post #12

aaaaaa | TRR scream team
Group Icon

Member No.: 3,115

QUOTE (BIKA @ Nov 15 2011, 04:31 PM) *
I could write a couple thousand words, but i'll stop. It's just annoying to think no one has anything to say, but "fix this! now fix that! It doesn't look good on my eyes!"

You want more maps, you want weapon's changed in any way, the damage, animation, looks? Then, at least tell them a reason why, and why it makes sense for them to even glance at your statement. The DEV team isn't fucking robots sitting all day smashing code and pumping out maps. Give them SOMETHING to work with at least, not a fucking list, like they're your bitch. Entertain them, think about the repercussions of an idea and if it even makes mechanical sense.

At this point we merely want to hear all your suggestions about possible features and projects to include and a direction that development could take. We don't necessarily want people to argue whether someone's idea is good or bad or people to be flamed for their suggestions. We're merely collecting for now and later we might perhaps respond to or discuss particular items either within or in a new thread, or only within the team. Of course, it's always good to provide reasoning for your own ideas and outline some of the benefits and perhaps even the downsides of it. But we don't want flamewars or arguments over other people's ideas at this point. You are however welcome to elaborate on someone else's idea or add something to it which you think makes it even better.

--------------------
The Elders have foreseen victory this day!
Member of the TRR scream team.

+Quote Post
Forlorn_Hope
post Nov 15 2011, 09:51 PM
Post #13

Cat Herder in Chief
Group Icon

At this point we merely want to hear all your suggestions about possible features and projects to include and a direction that development could take. We don't necessarily want people to argue whether someone's idea is good or bad or people to be flamed for their suggestions. We're merely collecting for now and later we might perhaps respond to or discuss particular items either within or in a new thread, or only within the team. Of course, it's always good to provide reasoning for your own ideas and outline some of the benefits and perhaps even the downsides of it. But we don't want flamewars or arguments over other people's ideas at this point. You are however welcome to elaborate on someone else's idea or add something to it which you think makes it even better.

Grantel phrased it eloquently, so I'm just repeating it for emphasis. We are earnest about desiring for this not to be a flame war, as this is simply a brain storm for ideas as to what we want to do in 2.2.

--------------------

+Quote Post
BIKA
post Nov 16 2011, 12:28 AM
Post #14

Lieutennant

Member No.: 14,854

QUOTE (Forlorn_Hope @ Nov 15 2011, 10:51 PM) *

Grantel phrased it eloquently, so I'm just repeating it for emphasis. We are earnest about desiring for this not to be a flame war, as this is simply a brain storm for ideas as to what we want to do in 2.2.

Whatever, your prerogative. I just don't see a "flame war" in me telling someone a suggestion is completely out of the scope of capabilities of the DEV team and the engine. But, what should I expect? All the team members here have always been too scared to tell someone their idea is complete shit or that they're an idiot. I find myself every time I post on this forum telling someone the same story. If you want to get the "late, odd, tired" ideas as well as people insulting you guys giving you a bitch list, then so be it. I would have just thought you could at least elaborate yourself on what's an appropriate way to give an idea, instead of having someone form a list of things for you to do, that don't affect the areas the mod needs work in.

The point is, so far, none of these are ideas at all, there's nothing the 3 or so people have written that is new. It's just something they're unhappy about. At least do yourself justice and stop being so fair and unforgiving. Otherwise you're not going to get anything different than the same select few complaining about one texture or something that doesn't look pretty to them. The only reason no one uses their fucking brain on this forum for one second is because they think you guys will just soak up everything as facts and correct, when in actually it's just shit ideas and unfounded complaining.

I know I'm right when you don't tell me to fuck off for putting words in your mouths, or even say anything about it at all.

--------------------
__
(^_^=)[XXXX]~
BIKA
\_+_//_+_\

+Quote Post
Nathan Hale
post Nov 16 2011, 01:50 AM
Post #15

Original BG First Release Player
Group Icon

Group: Admin
Member No.: 124

I think Bika has a certain valid point. As far as I'm concerned, if you can keep it clean and substantive talk about the game/suggestions, I have no problem with back and forth. The exchange of ideas and a little fair jabbing back and forth often yields improved suggestions or a more concentrated list in the in end, at least for me. I don't want to see a flame war either, but if people disagree and can do it in a legit manner, so be it. If we're here to talk shop, let's do it. We're adults here and can take some fair back and forth. If it goes to flame, it will have to be moderated (wouldn't be the first time).

I like suggestions, but not "random shout whatever crazy shit comes to mind first" threads (see horses and grenades "do not suggest" posts going way back). If you're here to make suggestions, tells us why it's a good idea. If you're here to complain, back it up. Let's go for quality ideas. I think everyone here can participate with that because I think everyone here is capable (if they try) of explaining their ideas to some extent. We don't need an essay, just a few good reasons.

Anyway... back to the suggestions-- keep them coming and explain why you think the ideas would work for the game. We appreciate anything with at least some substance to it.

I will say yes, we'd like to replace that Long Pattern model. The back channel discussion has been that we would like visual improvements in the game. We'd like to get away from messing with core gameplay elements and really give the game an updated look/feel in terms of user experience and graphics. It's early yet, but visuals are on our wishlist. Keep the ideas coming along.

--------------------

+Quote Post
gio ok
post Nov 16 2011, 01:21 PM
Post #16

Private

Member No.: 14,959

would be nice to add a class "drummer" who uses the drum or fife to raise the moral of the troops (the energy to attack with the bayonet, to run, jump, etc. ...) in the range of effects .
It would be nice to add some historical march :)

+Quote Post
Jackson
post Nov 16 2011, 02:36 PM
Post #17

Vampire Pimp

Member No.: 6,707

QUOTE (gio ok @ Nov 16 2011, 03:21 PM) *
would be nice to add a class "drummer" who uses the drum or fife to raise the moral of the troops (the energy to attack with the bayonet, to run, jump, etc. ...) in the range of effects .
It would be nice to add some historical march :)

Sorry, won't happen.

--------------------

+Quote Post
QwErTy
post Nov 16 2011, 06:50 PM
Post #18

Lieutennant

Member No.: 13,322

I'd like a better sound than just footsteps when you are moving (for infantry at least);
bg1 had this sound that suggested you were carrying alot of gear, it would help improve game atmosphere

+Quote Post
Forlorn_Hope
post Nov 16 2011, 09:28 PM
Post #19

Cat Herder in Chief
Group Icon

If someone can go out and record some of these sounds, I'm sure we'd be happy to use them. James Asner, I believe reenacts the AWI, so he should have the appropriate kit. (I have my ACW kit which should make the right noises, but I sadly lack a method of recording :( )

--------------------

+Quote Post
James Asner
post Nov 17 2011, 02:35 PM
Post #20

Captain

Member No.: 14,047

I remember very dynamic movement and reactive melee in "Dark Messiah" so I don't see it as something beyond the Source Engine. I'm just looking for something in the melee system that makes it more "one on one".

--------------------

+Quote Post
Alpha
post Nov 17 2011, 04:42 PM
Post #21

Corporal

Member No.: 14,910

Wasn't there going to be something about being able to drop/pick up weapons in the futur?

+Quote Post
Nathan Hale
post Nov 17 2011, 09:53 PM
Post #22

Original BG First Release Player
Group Icon

Group: Admin
Member No.: 124

QUOTE (Alpha @ Nov 17 2011, 12:42 PM) *
Wasn't there going to be something about being able to drop/pick up weapons in the futur?

We got to the point where we had a basic system of it available in SVN. It was incredibly buggy and convoluted. We scrapped it for the time being because it would have unduly delayed 2.1. We're talking REALLY buggy, even by our SVN standards.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Quite Churlishly
post Nov 18 2011, 12:44 AM
Post #23

Towne Crier

Member No.: 5,548

Just an idea spinning off of the idea of a "morale boost" from the Drummer Boy:
Would it be possible to make it so that an officer could actually raise the movement speed, damage and/or reload speed of nearby units?

I'm just thinking of ways to make classes fit roles better.

--------------------
Openly admitting to being a "troll" and I hate children. Just saying!

+Quote Post
Hawke
post Nov 18 2011, 08:12 PM
Post #24

Top player, top choice
Group Icon

Group: Team Leader
Member No.: 14,831

I would be interested to explore that idea to some degree, as is and as I've pointed out before all the melee combat and maps are rather... shall we say random? There is not much point to running about capping flags, and pointlessly stabbing one another, and while the ticket mode makes great steps towards fixing this, it requires good admins and strong server activity in order to work best. So I certainly think it's worth considering ideas that would encourage teamwork and team-play. However we would need some new, objective based maps in order for something like that to work best. People love playing Freemans Farm because they can fight over the house. It's something to think about.

--------------------
bjn: no time for sean nanny goons

+Quote Post
wellington
post Nov 19 2011, 10:12 PM
Post #25

Lieutennant

Member No.: 14,251

Zombie mod please.
It's a game people want to have fun...

And zombies are fun

+Quote Post

6 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 14th December 2019 - 08:56 AM