Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Reloading..., How Realistic?
WolfsLoveRage
post Jul 11 2006, 03:30 AM
Post #1

Private

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,114

I love the new patch... you did a lot of good things. I especially love the new reload animations and the sounds and smoke from all the weapons.

But the reloading seems a little out of the time period... I know the Civil War had that method... but what about the Revolutionary War? I am no war historian... but I do not think they had that... or did they?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Jupa
post Jul 11 2006, 05:00 AM
Post #2

Lieutennant

Member No.: 3,358

Yes, "they" did.

--------------------

+Quote Post
jackx
post Jul 11 2006, 08:39 AM
Post #3

midnight devcult phenomena
Group Icon

Group: Retired Team Members
Member No.: 1,223

It's the generally accepted method of "quickloading" a flintlock smoothbore from a single source of powder, ball and wadding. You can of course complicate the process by using special priming powder, greased leather as wadding etc., but since that increases loading time drastically and yields only little benefit on a (military) smoothbore meant for fast and repeated discharges (and thus operating with a relatively large difference in ball and barrel calibre), it's something that's mainly done with rifles, where it can improve the accuracy much more drastically.

It's also much safer to load the barrel first and then prime the weapon, but unless you're Richard Sharpe and starring in a Bernard Cornwell novel, you'll find that extremely awkward to do using just one single cartridge as your sole source for everything. Once you use a different source for priming the weapon (i.e. a percussion-cap, as was done with the rifled muskets of the ACW), it's a different matter, of course. You can then conveniently load the barrel from your paper cartridge as you would with a flintlock musket, and then prime using a percussion cap.

Edit: typo fixed, 100 Nazi points and +2" e-penis length awarded to Forlorn_Hope

This post has been edited by jackx: Jul 11 2006, 11:29 AM

--------------------
no truth - no justice
all false belief
blinded by morality
there shall be... no peace
no peace!

-------

+Quote Post
Forlorn_Hope
post Jul 11 2006, 10:48 AM
Post #4

Cat Herder in Chief
Group Icon

Group: BG Dev. Team
Member No.: 2,023

*(i.e. a percussion-cap, as was done with the rifled muskets of the ACW)

--------------------
"There will be no more naked sunbathing." An actual rule for the base I was on, in the middle of Afghanistan.

"Forlorn basically said everything right." Codename:V

+Quote Post
Nathan Hale
post Jul 17 2006, 10:54 PM
Post #5

Original BG First Release Player
Group Icon

Group: Admin
Member No.: 124

I dig the new models, and the new reloads. Nice realism (though did they use cartridge systems with long rifles?). I had read somewhere that long riflement tended to rely on hunting-style powder horn reloading. But yeah- for regulars the cartridges were pretty common. I'd like to see this reload animation in BG2, that's how good it is.

Not a fan of the movements in 1.0f compared to BG2. It just seems so fast to me, especially considering the weight that these guys carried. It's got that deathmatch feel compared to BG2 which is starting to gain at least some measure of teamplay with the .17 changes.

This post has been edited by Nathan Hale: Jul 17 2006, 10:55 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Flask
post Jul 18 2006, 04:35 PM
Post #6

Royalist

Member No.: 2,089

QUOTE(Nathan Hale @ Jul 17 2006, 06:54 PM) [snapback]23026[/snapback]
I'd like to see this reload animation in BG2, that's how good it is.
Now that BG 1.0F is released, the new 1.0F models with the fancy reload animations can be officially released in BGII v0.18. Draco converted the 1.0F models to BGII quite a long while ago... so... I guess it is just a matter of Tjoppen adding them in. wink.gif

+Quote Post
Nathan Hale
post Jul 18 2006, 08:50 PM
Post #7

Original BG First Release Player
Group Icon

Group: Admin
Member No.: 124

QUOTE(Flask @ Jul 18 2006, 12:35 PM) [snapback]23048[/snapback]

QUOTE(Nathan Hale @ Jul 17 2006, 06:54 PM) [snapback]23026[/snapback]
I'd like to see this reload animation in BG2, that's how good it is.
Now that BG 1.0F is released, the new 1.0F models with the fancy reload animations can be officially released in BGII v0.18. Draco converted the 1.0F models to BGII quite a long while ago... so... I guess it is just a matter of Tjoppen adding them in. wink.gif

Flask- sounds good! My only thought was that the rifled guns (Penn and maybe a later Jager) should stick to powder horn perhaps. I figure the use of the horn was more common with the rifles (esp the Penn). But the cartridge system is really nice. I sometimes play 1.0F simply because of those new weps and animations... despite that sprinting move speed.

This post has been edited by Nathan Hale: Jul 18 2006, 08:51 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Monkwarrior
post Jul 19 2006, 10:31 AM
Post #8

Captain

Member No.: 3,974

You silly boyz.
Of course Tjoppen will not pour his valuable time into BG1, we need him for BG2 wink.gif

+Quote Post
jackx
post Jul 19 2006, 12:58 PM
Post #9

midnight devcult phenomena
Group Icon

Group: Retired Team Members
Member No.: 1,223

I'm sorry Monk, but this time it's you who appears to be silly - they were discussing how Tjoppen should finish the porting of the current 1.0f models and animations to bg2 that Draco started a while back.
The reason given for not doing this earlier was that it would only be done after a 1.0f release, and we have that now...
(and then there's of course the fact that tomdon said he wanted to do all new weapon models for some reason when there's a perfectly good set with excellent animations around already...)

--------------------
no truth - no justice
all false belief
blinded by morality
there shall be... no peace
no peace!

-------

+Quote Post
Monkwarrior
post Jul 19 2006, 03:28 PM
Post #10

Captain

Member No.: 3,974

I am always silly, even more with these temparatures.
So it's for BG2, now get to work Tjoppen zorro.gif

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st January 2020 - 07:11 AM