gRanTeLbArT
post Sep 10 2010, 03:53 PM
Post #26

aaaaaa | TRR scream team
Group Icon

Group: Retired Team Members
Member No.: 3,115

QUOTE (Forlorn_Hope @ Sep 9 2010, 10:36 PM) *
No no Grantel, Death is entirely correct on this one. Non-Dev people DO need to get involved in the testing, as we've been saying the entire time. It's the whole reason the SVN is available for everyone to download.

He is right if you take that "sentence" literal. He meant it otherwise, he was calling us mad for letting LB people "ruin the game" by giving early input on development items.

As a dev team of all bg players we couldn't care less who out of what motiviation gives us feedback. It is right to call out to everyone to tell us what they think about the new stuff we're doing.

Wellington has said what he thought about the shooting delay. I think during the testing, however, we see that it wouldn't affect line battles - much of shooting during LB is shooting on non moving targets or big targets such as columns. The delay is so small that even a moving target doesn't get far, and there is other stuff in the works with accurate bullet velocities that will actually make bullets travel faster and closer to realistic speeds that it was possible before to make up for it in part.

Another reason this does not affect linebattles is that the delay is constant and the same for all players and weapons, whoever pulls the trigger first will still be the first to fire and first to hit.

--------------------
The Elders have foreseen victory this day!
Member of the TRR scream team.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Danihel
post Sep 10 2010, 06:11 PM
Post #27

Lieutennant
Group Icon

Member No.: 3,538

Why we even talking about linebattles what has happen to u dev team members, Calling all NON DEV TEAM MEMBERS TEST The Mod before there is no mod, don't let them ruin it for good.

We're talking about linebattles because that's where BG has the most players. Also, sick capitalization, the added emphasis on random words really makes the post more substantial.

In response to Wellington, before you criticize the bullet delay, I suggest you try out a LB on svn. I've contacted over half of the LB clan leaders about getting some people in to test, but instead of actually getting people on to try it out and give feedback, I just get bombarded with what people think we should be doing with our nonexistent resources.

Constructive criticism is welcome, but if you don't come on and actually try the thing out for yourself, then your complaints are baseless.

+Quote Post
Nathan Hale
post Sep 11 2010, 12:30 AM
Post #28

Original BG First Release Player
Group Icon

Group: Admin
Member No.: 124

I'm looking at another set of tests in the US evening time this week. How about Tuesday and Wednesday, 8 pm eastern each? I'm available for a couple hours each night to test. The OBCD SVN test server will provide a nice, dedicated platform for us.

LB and skirmish people are free to attend. But the catch is that we're here to test, not to fight over what mode of game to play. We will be playing the ticket mode a few more times too, since we need more test time on that. We'll also be testing the shooting and the new buckshot code.

Both LB and skirmish people have input. Even Analord's hitbox suggestion will be taken into account (we'll take a look at the boxes again to see if they could use some improvement). Educated and reasonable suggestions are welcomed, especially from people who've taken the time to try the SVN.

But we won't listen to people who bitch, never try the SVN, then bitch more when the new version comes out and are unhappy. The best way you can make a positive impact on the game is to test the SVN and make reasonable comments. The SVN is everyone's chance to participate in the game-building process-- that is what the open beta is about.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Forlorn_Hope
post Sep 11 2010, 01:59 AM
Post #29

Cat Herder in Chief
Group Icon

Group: BG Dev. Team
Member No.: 2,023

I know all of this coming week, and then the week following, I'll unfortunately be unavailable. (This coming week, I'll be on the rifle range, and the next I'll be in the field.) The weekend separating the two I'll be available, I think. This weekend, I believe I'm unspoken for.

--------------------
"There will be no more naked sunbathing." An actual rule for the base I was on, in the middle of Afghanistan.

"Forlorn basically said everything right." Codename:V

+Quote Post
Nathan Hale
post Sep 11 2010, 02:45 AM
Post #30

Group Icon

QUOTE (Forlorn_Hope @ Sep 10 2010, 09:59 PM) *
I know all of this coming week, and then the week following, I'll unfortunately be unavailable. (This coming week, I'll be on the rifle range, and the next I'll be in the field.) The weekend separating the two I'll be available, I think. This weekend, I believe I'm unspoken for.

Friendship Fall Shoot, or job-related?

--------------------

+Quote Post
Forlorn_Hope
post Sep 11 2010, 03:29 AM
Post #31

Cat Herder in Chief
Group Icon

Job, alas. They're convinced I need more time on the M4.

--------------------
"There will be no more naked sunbathing." An actual rule for the base I was on, in the middle of Afghanistan.

+Quote Post
Nathan Hale
post Sep 11 2010, 06:19 PM
Post #32

Group Icon

QUOTE (Forlorn_Hope @ Sep 10 2010, 11:29 PM) *
Job, alas. They're convinced I need more time on the M4.

Ahh, the Nat'l Muzzle Loading Rifle Assoc. Championships are going all this week, through next weekend. Didn't know if you were taking the Zouave to compete.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Nathan Hale
post Sep 11 2010, 06:25 PM
Post #33

Group Icon

How about this coming Tues+Wed evenings, 8pm eastern, for those who can make it. We'll use the AP vent and the OBCD dedicated SVN server.

http://forums.bgmod.com//index.php?showtopic=1725

The above thread tells you how to get up and running with SVN. It's pretty easy-- just install SVN, make a blank folder for the SVN in the proper directory, then run SVN checkout. It will download on its own from then on. Follow the thread to get it.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Quite Churlishly
post Sep 11 2010, 09:13 PM
Post #34

Towne Crier

Group: Members
Member No.: 5,548

I think we should run a play through on skirmish and a line battle to test it out.

--------------------
Openly admitting to being a "troll" and I hate children. Just saying!

+Quote Post
Forlorn_Hope
post Sep 11 2010, 10:02 PM
Post #35

Cat Herder in Chief
Group Icon

If anyone were up for a test tomorrow afternoon EST, I would be glad to.

--------------------

+Quote Post
wellington
post Sep 12 2010, 07:55 PM
Post #36

Lieutennant

Member No.: 14,251

QUOTE (Forlorn_Hope @ Sep 9 2010, 10:36 PM) *
No no Grantel, Death is entirely correct on this one. Non-Dev people DO need to get involved in the testing, as we've been saying the entire time. It's the whole reason the SVN is available for everyone to download.

Now, Wellington, "timing is everything" means absolutely nothing to me.

Let me illustrate exactly how I see things, and, please, do the same on your end:

In the current version of BG2: Line A forms up in front of Line B. .5 seconds later, Line A fires. .25 seconds after that, Line B fires.
Now, because the distance from Line A to Line B is the same as the distance from Line B to Line A, it can be presumed that the rounds fired take the same amount of time to impact. Let's say, for argument's sake, .3 seconds.

So now, .8 seconds after forming up, Line A's rounds impact Line B, and 1.05 seconds after lining up, Line B's rounds impact Line A. Casualties are taken on both sides.

Now, with the version in the works, Line A and Line B form up and fire as before, for .5 seconds and .75 seconds firing time, post-formation.
They both have a .1 second delay before the rounds actually fire according to the game, so .6 seconds and .85 seconds.
However, because we can now go beyond the 1200fps second threshold the source engine constrains objects to, muskets are firing at, say, 1400fps. So let's say it's a .2 second travel time for the rounds.
All of a sudden, you have... .8 and 1.05 yet again, showing to be the exact same as the scenario before.

Taking all this into consideration, I truly cannot see how this will break line battles.

Ok from your point of view I guess you aren't in a LB clan?
However during real clan linebattles, we tend to make multiple lines, firing squads(one line splits into two squads or more firing with a certain amount of time in between, which is based on the current basis of the reload, and firing time)- this the delay would mess with
And ripplefire would be messed with as well.

There you go.

Sorry for my late reply I was away for the weekend.

+Quote Post
Forlorn_Hope
post Sep 12 2010, 07:59 PM
Post #37

Cat Herder in Chief
Group Icon

I co-founded -[TRR]- with Arquebusier... 5 years ago? We were the ones who really brought the whole linebattle thing to the fore-front. I do not see how firing by volley, firing by file, firing by introduction or extraduction (things I've yet to see any of the newer LB clans do), firing with a single platoon or split squads will be effected at all when everyone has the exact same firing delay placed upon themselves.

--------------------

+Quote Post
gRanTeLbArT
post Sep 12 2010, 08:19 PM
Post #38

aaaaaa | TRR scream team
Group Icon

Member No.: 3,115

Wellington, you don't realize how small the delay actually is. It's somewhere about 0.1 seconds. Ping, human reaction time, a slow mouse click are much much bigger delays to take into account.

--------------------
The Elders have foreseen victory this day!
Member of the TRR scream team.

+Quote Post
Burnsides
post Sep 14 2010, 11:12 PM
Post #39

Private

Member No.: 14,259

Edit: Nevermind.

This post has been edited by Burnsides: Sep 14 2010, 11:13 PM

+Quote Post
Steve
post Sep 15 2010, 02:36 AM
Post #40

Now avalible in Burdiet!
Group Icon

Member No.: 1,857

Harry Truman was our president

Linebattles were a community novelty + occasionally worked as a rather fun-to-watch tactic to overwhelm the final flag (incredibly classy)

A coke an burger cost you thirty cents
I was still in love with Mavis Brown
On the night Hank Williams came to town.

--------------------
Tropical Coke : AMURICA R AMBAR WAVZ OF GRANE

+Quote Post
Guest_Hawke_*
post Sep 22 2010, 12:08 AM
Post #41

Guests

Is the testing Tuesday and Wednesday a continuing event? I'd love to be able to test this out if a server is up. I should be available most days at anytime.

+Quote Post
Nathan Hale
post Sep 22 2010, 03:37 AM
Post #42

Group Icon

Let's try one:

Wed Sept. 22, 2010 8pm Eastern US time.

We'll be testing the velocities and flintlock delay again, as well as the ticket system (I hope to at least). We'll need a few people for that though. Anyone interested?

If you're interested PM me and I'll send the vent info.

--------------------

+Quote Post

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 15th December 2019 - 02:17 PM