> Weird Problems + Crashing, Just installed BG2
SheridanR
post Nov 15 2011, 03:18 PM
Post #1

Private

Group: Members
Member No.: 14,956

Hi guys,

Until recently I couldn't download BG2 because my old ISP had put a hard cap on my daily internet usage. But now that I've switched ISPs, I'm happy to finally be able to download BG2.

So! I've updated both HL2 and HL2:DM to the latest versions, downloaded the Source SDK Base 2007 as well as the Source SDK Base 2006, updated my steam client, and installed BG2. Unfortunately, it's not working as expected.

Most of the time when I start a server my client will just stop working and I have to close it with a task manager. The only map I've been able to successfully start so far is bg_assault, but strangely enough, the wooden palisades have a weird purple texture that makes me think that I'm having memory problems. That, and whenever I pass through a certain area outside of the fort, my client crashes. On top of these bugs, the "multiplayer" tab on the settings panel is rather screwy, but I guess that's probably not such an issue.

I tried turning off the ingame steam community service, I turned down the texture/model/shadow quality in the game settings panel, I tried running the game without changing any options (clean install), and I've reinstalled the mod, but all to no avail. That said, I'm beginning to wonder if my copy of BG2 is corrupt. Can someone give the MD5 sum of a clean BG2 installation package?

On another note, here are my system specs:

AMD Athlon 64 Processor 3700+ (2.2 GHz, 1 MB L2 Cache, 2000 MHz System Bus)
nVidia GeForce 8400 GS
200 GB HDD (Only about 50 GB are free now)
3 GB of RAM
Windows XP SP3 Media Center Edition (with ALL of the .NET Framework versions, including 2.0, 3.0, 3.5, and 4.0)

Yes, my PC is weak by today's standards, but I don't have any problem playing HL2:DM or HL2 with the graphical quality set quite high, so I'm not sure if this is the problem.

This post has been edited by SheridanR: Nov 15 2011, 03:19 PM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
klifsnider
post Nov 15 2011, 03:29 PM
Post #2

Major
Group Icon

Group: BG Dev. Team
Member No.: 7,408

Hi SheridanR,

In order to play bg2 you only have to download & install source sdk base 2007. SDK base 2006, HL2 and HL2:DM are no longer required.
Just letting you know incase you plan on reinstalling everything.

If you think your pc's specifications are the problem, try running bg2 on dxlevel 8 (in the steam library, right click bg2 -> properties -> set launch options, type in: "-dxlevel 81").

--------------------
Collected awards in BGU matches:
>Most Annoying Playstyle
>Lamest Killstealer
>Best Spectator

+Quote Post
SheridanR
post Nov 15 2011, 03:38 PM
Post #3

Private

Thanks for the swift reply, klifsnider. Running the game in dxlevel 8 improved performance but didn't solve the crashing or the texture issues.

Can someone give me an MD5 sum on their copy of BG2 so I can verify that my copy isn't corrupt? I can't easily redownload the game, so I would like to know if I really need to before I just go ahead and do it.

By the way, in case it wasn't already obvious I am trying to play Battlegrounds 2.1.1.

This post has been edited by SheridanR: Nov 15 2011, 03:40 PM

+Quote Post
BIKA
post Nov 15 2011, 05:50 PM
Post #4

Lieutennant

Member No.: 14,854

Is the game listed as exactly "Battle Grounds 2 2.1.1" in the Steam Library?

Look in C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\sourcemods\bg2 , and is there a folder called "bg2-2.1.1-installer" or something along those lines in there? It would be at the top.

Also try in the launch options "-autoconfig" , it should reset all the basic graphical settings back to what your system recommends.

--------------------
__
(^_^=)[XXXX]~
BIKA
\_+_//_+_\

+Quote Post
SheridanR
post Nov 15 2011, 11:05 PM
Post #5

Private

Yes, the mod is listed as Battlegrounds 2 2.1.1 in my Steam library.

When I installed the mod it placed all of its files into "C:\Program Files\Steam\SteamApps\sourcemods\bg2\bg2-2.1.1-installer" but obviously Steam couldn't detect the mod this way, so I moved all of its files to "C:\Program Files\Steam\SteamApps\sourcemods\bg2" and deleted the bg2-2.1.1-installer folder.

The "-autoconfig" command didn't solve any of my problems.

I did some reading on the texture issues I've been encountering. Apparently, the texture I'm witnessing is actually a pink/black checkerboard pattern that the source engine uses to texture surfaces for which their assigned materials cannot be found. In other words, source is having trouble loading some of the textures in the game. I did some more reading and found that if I rebuilt the cube maps for the levels in which I am encountering the problem I could solve it, but this didn't work.

I still don't know why the game crashes on some maps, though.

EDIT: I've noticed another weird issue with the game. Sometimes, some weapon sound effects don't play - especially reloading sounds. I've checked the console and I can see that it's trying to reference sound files that don't exist on the hard drive. The missing textures are the same problem: apparently, the wood fence texture is missing because it simply doesn't exist.

This is becoming very annoying.

EDIT2: This is part of a larger train of thought that I'm following in my head, but does it matter that I don't have a copy of Counter-Strike: Source? I'm thinking that the game may be trying to reference resources from that game.

This post has been edited by SheridanR: Nov 16 2011, 12:09 AM

+Quote Post
SheridanR
post Nov 16 2011, 10:30 PM
Post #6

Private

Could someone please help me with this? No one has yet given me an MD5 sum of a proper installation/installer of BG2. Do you guys want more info? Screenshots, maybe? I'm not just going to give this up so easily. This mod should work without any issues.

This post has been edited by SheridanR: Nov 16 2011, 10:32 PM

+Quote Post
Nathan Hale
post Nov 17 2011, 02:49 AM
Post #7

Original BG First Release Player
Group Icon

Group: Admin
Member No.: 124

Tjoppen and New Roob/Adman are most familiar with the 2.1.1 patch and the 2.1 installer specifics in terms of where everything should end up. Try PMing them, they may be able to help. They do not always check the forum but they usually are in IRC and respond to PMs faster.

--------------------

+Quote Post
THEbaconMAN
post Dec 3 2011, 06:55 PM
Post #8

Private

Member No.: 14,970

QUOTE (SheridanR @ Nov 15 2011, 03:18 PM) *
Hi guys,

Until recently I couldn't download BG2 because my old ISP had put a hard cap on my daily internet usage. But now that I've switched ISPs, I'm happy to finally be able to download BG2.

So! I've updated both HL2 and HL2:DM to the latest versions, downloaded the Source SDK Base 2007 as well as the Source SDK Base 2006, updated my steam client, and installed BG2. Unfortunately, it's not working as expected.

Most of the time when I start a server my client will just stop working and I have to close it with a task manager. The only map I've been able to successfully start so far is bg_assault, but strangely enough, the wooden palisades have a weird purple texture that makes me think that I'm having memory problems. That, and whenever I pass through a certain area outside of the fort, my client crashes. On top of these bugs, the "multiplayer" tab on the settings panel is rather screwy, but I guess that's probably not such an issue.

I tried turning off the ingame steam community service, I turned down the texture/model/shadow quality in the game settings panel, I tried running the game without changing any options (clean install), and I've reinstalled the mod, but all to no avail. That said, I'm beginning to wonder if my copy of BG2 is corrupt. Can someone give the MD5 sum of a clean BG2 installation package?

I have been having the exact same problem. Some maps work though such as:bg_assault,ctf_river,bg_road,bg_hubbardton,bg_fall works but will usually freeze and crash once I join.There maybe some more but im not sure.I been on the forums and all over the internet but found not solution, im stuck waiting for server map cycles to go around so i can join.I had a clean install so it wasnt the broken installer. I have installed sdk 2007 and sdk 2006 i have tf2 as my source game but i do have more if i need to install another.

Anyway it would be much appreciated

Bacon

This post has been edited by THEbaconMAN: Dec 3 2011, 06:57 PM

+Quote Post
mpc
post Dec 4 2011, 12:19 AM
Post #9

Padawan of Grantelbart
Group Icon

Group: BG Dev. Team
Member No.: 6,884

So I am guessing you installed BG 2 with the 2.1.1. Server Files or did you use the BG 2.1 installer and 2.1.1 Patch?

--------------------
Want to join TRR? www.theroyalrecruits.com - Plexi's cat can see your soul!

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th October 2019 - 12:17 AM