IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Steam Client Update 2/19; Can't Connect., steam certificate length error 0/2048
James Asner
post Feb 20 2014, 12:23 AM
Post #1

Captain

Group: Members
Member No.: 14,047

Many BG2 players are having this error since the Steam client update.

Fix ideas from Google that DON'T work:
1. Delete steam folders, keeping steam.exe and steamapps. Restart.
2. Restart server
3. Anything to do with .blog files
4. Unsubscribe from Steam beta.
5. 64-bit OS related.

I googled the error and can't find any threads from today or even this week. If other mods are having this issue their users aren't posting about it. You can connect to Nerdzone (94.23.60.138:27015) which is VAC protected so It doesn't seem to be a VAC update.

If anyone has any ideas, please post below.

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Hawke
post Feb 20 2014, 12:35 AM
Post #2

Top player, top choice
Group Icon

Group: Team Leader
Member No.: 14,831

This was an issue on Valve's end that was in the steam beta. You could fix the error by opting out of the beta and then restarting steam. Unfortunately the beta has now gone live, and the error obviously still persists in the new version of steam. This issue, to my knowledge affects other source mods as well, like Goldeneye and WW1:S. There is nothing in the bg2 files or code that would cause this error, I am completely certain it is an issue on Valve's end. For the moment all I can suggest is to continue searching the steam forums and letting Valve know about this issue. I'll try to gather more data and get back to you all with a better answer.

--------------------
bjn: no time for sean nanny goons

+Quote Post
James Asner
post Feb 20 2014, 02:04 AM
Post #3

Captain

I googled the error and found this code on paste bin: http://pastebin.ca/2643414
CODE
                 if ( *(_DWORD *)dword_255C810 - dword_2602528 <= 0 || v13 >= 0x400 )
                {
                  *(_DWORD *)&v47 = 1024;
                  v46 = *(_DWORD *)dword_255C810 - dword_2602528;
                  return sub_1D97DD0(
                           &v61,
                           "STEAM certificate length error! %i/%i\n",
                           *(_DWORD *)dword_255C810 - dword_2602528,
                           1024);

Does anyone know what it is, where it's from and (my hope) can we temporarily patch our servers to ignore Steam certificates?

UPDATE: still can't find a solution. All my searches turn up posts that talk about Steam beta. They turned off Steam beta and fixed it. Well, that beta version went LIVE today. There was a bug in the update that had been tested for a week or so and they rolled it out anyway. Fucking Valve.

This post has been edited by James Asner: Feb 20 2014, 02:20 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post
3DDEATH
post Feb 20 2014, 03:59 PM
Post #4

Major

Member No.: 2,430

Dont worry they are sorry and soon will post it here but twice in two months. I posted two threads on there forms and for some reason both were locked. So now I posted on there old forums. I will keep u updated on those. How ever there are three servers in bg2 so far we can play on after the updated, 12th, 22nd and Nerd. There servers must be slow up-daters but soon they will have to.

--------------------

QUOTE (gRanTeLbArT @ Aug 25 2007, 02:47 PM) *
I will tell you what I think, this is horrible. Like all the other remakes of BG1 maps. There is a reason why we do not do that in any form. Do not bother to remake old bg1 maps. BG1 was a totally different game as draco pointed out and the maps are not going to work out on BG2.

Rejoice in thy youth,soon it will be gone

+Quote Post
James Asner
post Feb 20 2014, 04:20 PM
Post #5

Captain

http://www.reddit.com/r/SourceEngine/comme...breaks_mp_mods/

A ZPS dev posted on here and says that it's HLDS. I guess the update removed support for it and most hosts haven't switched to SteamCMD. I have a support ticket waiting to see if I can get the 29th server fixed. You should do the same with your hosts.

--------------------

+Quote Post
3DDEATH
post Feb 20 2014, 09:24 PM
Post #6

Major

hawke needs to find out why and how the 12th server has no issues would sure help.

--------------------

I will tell you what I think, this is horrible. Like all the other remakes of BG1 maps. There is a reason why we do not do that in any form. Do not bother to remake old bg1 maps. BG1 was a totally different game as draco pointed out and the maps are not going to work out on BG2.

+Quote Post
3DDEATH
post Feb 21 2014, 03:48 AM
Post #7

Major

First I want to thank NFO Servers in helping solve the issue with this "Steam Certificate length error! 0/2048". What got the ball rolling was Asners post about a ZPS thread so I forwarded to NFO servers to be checked out and here is a copy for everyone to better understand. NFO Servers Wrote:" With other games that recently had this problem (Valve has been doing this to all OB mods), it worked to replace the DLLs. ZPS was one of those mods. Since those DLLs are actually part of our base install and already updated, a simple repair should apply them; I've triggered that now. Please let me know if it resolves this for you." I wrote :"Didnt work" NFO Servers wrote:"I'm sorry for the confusion. The DLLs that I'm referring to are ones from the SteamPipe version. As I mentioned, this has happened several times before with other mods when Valve has changed things on their end, so it's something I'm familiar with. Most mods can't just be tossed onto a SteamPipe installation without modification, so we replace the DLLs instead, which accomplishes the same goal. I will try updating those DLLs with whatever Valve is currently pushing." I wrote " It worked but could you explain what you did to fix so I can pass the word". NFO Servers Wrote:In this case, I did it by copying over the base OB DLLs used by another game that just needed to be updated today, pvkii. Specifically, these files differed:
adminserver.dll
dedicated.dll
engine.dll
inputsystem.dll
soundemittersystem.dll
steam.dll
steamclient.dll
tier0.dll
tier0_s.dll
vgui2.dll
vstdlib_s.dll
The I wrote: Thank you for the info. So the steamcmd isnt updating the server correctly. You have to manually port files over.
NFO Servers wrote: SteamCMD does not support the BG2 mod, so the closest that you can come is downloading generic Orangebox-engine base files and applying them to the server, yes. The easiest way for us to do that here is by replacing the DLLs (since those are all that is changing). It also works to replace the DLLs with latest ones from the Steam client, in most cases.
All I can say is these issues will keep coming until our mod is moved to a engine that updates when the client updates.

This post has been edited by 3DDEATH: Feb 21 2014, 05:07 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post
AngryTaxPayer
post Feb 22 2014, 04:08 PM
Post #8

His Lordship
Group Icon

Group: Retired Team Members
Member No.: 5,683

Good work.

--------------------

The essential act of war is destruction, not necessarily of human lives, but of the products of human labor. War is a way of shattering to pieces, or pouring into the stratosphere, or sinking in the depths of the sea, materials which might otherwise be used to make the masses too comfortable, and hence, in the long run, too intelligent. And at the same time the consciousness of being at war, and therefore in danger, makes the handing-over of all power to a small caste seem the natural, unavoidable condition of survival. -George Orwell

+Quote Post
Nathan Hale
post Feb 24 2014, 01:26 AM
Post #9

Original BG First Release Player
Group Icon

Group: Admin
Member No.: 124

We have had some progress in porting to the more recent engine, but it is still underway. It is not a small project, but there has been movement towards getting it done.

I was able to connect and play for awhile on ABC tonight without difficulty.

--------------------

+Quote Post
hairypotter
post Feb 25 2014, 03:54 AM
Post #10

Part of the Big Five conspiracy
Group Icon

Group: Retired Team Members
Member No.: 3,585

Word.

--------------------
fa⋅ce⋅tious  [fuh-see-shuhs] –adjective
1. not meant to be taken seriously or literally: a facetious remark.
2. amusing; humorous.
3. lacking serious intent; concerned with something nonessential, amusing, or frivolous: a BG2 developer.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 15th October 2019 - 06:48 AM