IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >  
Closed TopicStart new topic
> 0.15 - Hud, Fixes, Flag Indicators Etc.
jackx
post Dec 31 2005, 05:54 PM
Post #26

midnight devcult phenomena
Group Icon

Group: Retired Team Members
Member No.: 1,223

Shooting damage is about the same as BG 1.0f - 1-hit-kill for head, chest and stomach. If anything, it's less harsh than 1.2.1 (which is what I'm used to), because damage is reduced over range.
Shooting is somewhat indiscriminate towards player skill, but then, you're also running a plugin that amplifies this effect, so I can't exactly see why you're complaining - especially since you should've started complaining with the pre-release already...
Melee is still the core of the game, but shooting now cannot be dismissed lightly, which is what I gathered most new players, you included, wanted, and which has also served BG well for more than 2 years now.
Besides, you're not doing your credibility a favour by first yelling "teamplay!" and "linebattles!" over and over again and then complaining that you can no longer dominate melee to hell and back...

Moving accuracy might be a bit better than in 1.2.1, in which case I'd support lowering it again, but then, the very radical good accuracy/crap accuracy system worked in 1.2.1 because players could stop instantly to gain good accuracy...

This post has been edited by jackx: Dec 31 2005, 05:57 PM

--------------------
no truth - no justice
all false belief
blinded by morality
there shall be... no peace
no peace!

-------

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Monkwarrior
post Dec 31 2005, 06:08 PM
Post #27

Captain

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,974

I suggest you play it some more.
I will do that too, but from what I'v seen teamplay is not served by higher damages. In fact it hurts a teamplay element such as the line battle plugin.

"credibility" => WHOEHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

Monk.

+Quote Post
jackx
post Dec 31 2005, 06:45 PM
Post #28

Group Icon

It hurts your vision of how more teamplay should be achieved... and to be honest, you get just as much (i.e. none at all) teamplay out of idiots with your plugins as you do without it. Besides, what does your LB plugin do but give away "skill-free" kills when in normal play you wouldn't have got one?

Apart from that, it prevents melee from being too dominant... which, while it prevents endless pub rampages, helps to add depth to the game because now there is a decision whether to reload or not to...
I suggest you go play 1.2.1 a lot - maybe then you'd have an idea how well BG gameplay works with these damage values, and if you manage to come back and tell me that melee is not the more important aspect in 1.2.1... well, you're always welcome to make yourself look like an idiot. *shrugs*

--------------------
no truth - no justice
all false belief
blinded by morality
no peace!

-------

+Quote Post
Worm
post Dec 31 2005, 07:48 PM
Post #29

Private

Member No.: 3,814

I downloaded .14 off the front page today and can't get my way into a game, hopefully, this will remedy that. Still getting memory read errors, going to restart.

Eh, it was happening with HL2 DM so I guess I'll reinstall that.

This post has been edited by Worm: Dec 31 2005, 08:08 PM

+Quote Post
Goatblower
post Dec 31 2005, 09:00 PM
Post #30

Old

Member No.: 4,053

QUOTE(jackx @ Dec 31 2005, 06:45 PM)
It hurts your vision of how more teamplay should be achieved... and to be honest, you get just as much (i.e. none at all) teamplay out of idiots with your plugins as you do without it. Besides, what does your LB plugin do but give away "skill-free" kills when in normal play you wouldn't have got one?
[snapback]15339[/snapback]

At least with the plug in the "idiots" have to organise themselves into formations of 3 people to give "skill free kills", with the higher damage levels you have everyone running round 1 shotting each other. You don't have to be a rocket scientist to work out which encourages more teamplay, even if it is only a small element it is better than none.

And why must people keep harping on about 1.2.1? why can't BG2 become its own game developed in the best way possible without continually comparing it to the older version?
I have played both and I certainly prefer the source version over 1.2.1, but I appreciate it is based on an older engine and accept it is as good as it can be, but lets not hold back BG2 just to try and make it more like 1.2.1

+Quote Post
Tostig
post Dec 31 2005, 09:55 PM
Post #31

♣ Cirtencce ♣

Member No.: 2,774

Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the war room!

+Quote Post
jackx
post Dec 31 2005, 10:03 PM
Post #32

Group Icon

You don't radically change soccer for the sake of making it different, either, do you?
I'll not settle for something different (if I wanted that, I'd go play a different game), but only for something improved, because everything else is a waste of potential... I currently like Source and 1.2.1/1.0f, and what I want is for Source to be so much better than 1.2.1/1.0f that I no longer feel they are worth playing.

I only made the comparison to 1.2.1 because Monk claimed that with the dmg increase the game had become "broken"...

As for teamplay - that is player-based. Plugins do not change players - all you might get with them is collateral benefit, which is not the same.

--------------------
no truth - no justice
all false belief
blinded by morality
no peace!

-------

+Quote Post
regis
post Dec 31 2005, 10:12 PM
Post #33

Captain

Member No.: 3,528

dude jackx ur always such a pessimist.. chill down...

btw.. kind of a semi-related question, does everyone have anti-aliasing on wen they play source mods/games? if so, do wat degree..

+Quote Post
jackx
post Dec 31 2005, 11:30 PM
Post #34

Group Icon

Just because it's new year's eve doesn't mean flawed arguments suddenly get any better... nor does it mean all the assumptions people make about what I do not explicitly state are right...

And I'm not a pessimist, I'm merely very concerned about the future of BG... the CS community was large enough to withstand the switch to Source... the DoD community is already struggling hard... the BG community is a lot smaller yet again - if BG 2 is a game that is for the most part different, and not better, it might kill the game. That's something I don't want to see... not that it'd affect me (I'd turn my back and walk away, it's not my failure after all), I still doubt I could be as indifferent about it as I often wish I'd be... I've grown so attached to this mod and community that I find it extremely hard not to care...

Edit:
That said, I think this point has just been reached. Go to hell, or wherever else - I do not care anymore.

This post has been edited by jackx: Jan 1 2006, 12:55 AM

--------------------
no truth - no justice
all false belief
blinded by morality
no peace!

-------

+Quote Post
Pvt.Weissbrot
post Dec 31 2005, 11:30 PM
Post #35

Private

Member No.: 4,292

QUOTE(regis @ Dec 31 2005, 10:12 PM)

btw.. kind of a semi-related question, does everyone have anti-aliasing on wen they play source mods/games? if so, do wat degree..
[snapback]15346[/snapback]

Yeah I run all Source games (HL2 and BG2 v0.15) with 4x AA with no problem.

+Quote Post
regis
post Jan 1 2006, 12:12 AM
Post #36

Captain

Member No.: 3,528

QUOTE(Pvt.Weissbrot @ Dec 31 2005, 08:00 PM)
QUOTE(regis @ Dec 31 2005, 10:12 PM)

[snapback]15346[/snapback]

Yeah I run all Source games (HL2 and BG2 v0.15) with 4x AA with no problem.
[snapback]15348[/snapback]

fps/video card/ram?

+Quote Post
Pvt.Weissbrot
post Jan 1 2006, 01:46 AM
Post #37

Private

Member No.: 4,292

QUOTE(regis @ Jan 1 2006, 12:12 AM)
fps/video card/ram?

I don't count my FPS but tey are always over 25. My graphics card is a 6800GT and Ram is 1024 DDR400.

This post has been edited by Pvt.Weissbrot: Jan 1 2006, 04:48 PM

+Quote Post
Goatblower
post Jan 1 2006, 11:49 AM
Post #38

Old

Member No.: 4,053

QUOTE(jackx @ Dec 31 2005, 10:03 PM)
You don't radically change soccer for the sake of making it different, either, do you?
I'll not settle for something different (if I wanted that, I'd go play a different game), but only for something improved, because everything else is a waste of potential... I currently like Source and 1.2.1/1.0f, and what I want is for Source to be so much better than 1.2.1/1.0f that I no longer feel they are worth playing.

I only made the comparison to 1.2.1 because Monk claimed that with the dmg increase the game had become "broken"...

As for teamplay - that is player-based. Plugins do not change players - all you might get with them is collateral benefit, which is not the same.
[snapback]15345[/snapback]

You don't try and get todays football (soccer) teams to use equipment and rules from the 1960's just because some people think it was a better game then....

Nobodies mentioned "radically changing" BG, in fact you are echoing everyone's sentiments when you say you want "something improved" ..... which also means improving aspects of 1.2.1, not just trying to emulate them.

Yes, I think everyone would agree that teamplay is player based. But until BG2 becomes taken up by serious clans everybody knows that teamplay on public servers is non-existant so anything to encourage it must be for the good IMO.

As for your other post I believe BG will survive the switch to source. Its survival doesn't have to rely on trying to convince the "old school" to move on, BG2 in it's own right is a good enough mod to attract new players...which is excactly what is happening.

The only thing totally unbelievable in your posts is the "I do not care anymore" statement, I'm sure you still do....... :wink:

happy new year.... grin.gif

+Quote Post
Black Panther
post Jan 1 2006, 08:21 PM
Post #39

everybody loves

Member No.: 6

posted on frontpage.

+Quote Post
gecko
post Jan 1 2006, 08:52 PM
Post #40

King Gecko of 1.0F Dev
Group Icon

Group: Admin
Member No.: 2,511

This release has pulled over 2.5gb of data off my server already today.

Good work chaps.

+Quote Post
tomdon
post Jan 1 2006, 09:09 PM
Post #41

:(
Group Icon

Member No.: 3,649

Its a shame moddb is down sad.gif.

*edit*

Panther, you have posted my screenshots that use the new models. People will get confused as 0.15 still uses the old ones.

This post has been edited by tomdon: Jan 1 2006, 09:22 PM

+Quote Post
DaJoob
post Jan 1 2006, 09:58 PM
Post #42

The Living Legend

Member No.: 774

Mirrored:

http://www.dajoob.com/pub/bg2-0.15.zip
http://www.dajoob.com/pub/bg2-0.15.exe
http://www.dajoob.com/pub/bg2-0.15-src.tar.bz2
http://www.dajoob.com/pub/bg2-0.15-pre-to-pub.zip

+Quote Post
The President Of...
post Jan 1 2006, 11:03 PM
Post #43

Private

Member No.: 4,315

I like it. The new accuracies make the game less of a "point and click miss'em'up" and the melee system feels much more natural.

I agree with what one person said above, I found myself not even bothering to stop to fire with the running accuracy.

I also seem to be getting "hl2.exe has encountered an error and has to close" quite a bit. First time was when the server was changing maps.

---

Overall though, I do seem to be enjoying this version more than previous source versions. Almost, if not as fun as the original smile.gif

EDIT: I like those trees in the screenshots but I absolutely hate that default HL2 grass. So dull and doesn't quite go with the lush green of the trees smile.gif

This post has been edited by The President Of The Internet: Jan 1 2006, 11:05 PM

+Quote Post
Monkwarrior
post Jan 1 2006, 11:18 PM
Post #44

Captain

Member No.: 3,974

QUOTE(The President Of The Internet @ Jan 2 2006, 12:03 AM)
I also seem to be getting "hl2.exe has encountered an error and has to close" quite a bit. First time was when the server was changing maps.
[snapback]15370[/snapback]

Something I noticed several times today myself too.
Mapchange makes HL2 crash, but not always.

+Quote Post
The President Of...
post Jan 1 2006, 11:22 PM
Post #45

Private

QUOTE(Monkwarrior @ Jan 1 2006, 11:18 PM)
QUOTE(The President Of The Internet @ Jan 2 2006, 12:03 AM)
[snapback]15370[/snapback]

Something I noticed several times today myself too.
Mapchange makes HL2 crash, but not always.
[snapback]15371[/snapback]

Yus, and the times it doesn't crash, it causes horrible lag sad.gif

EDIT: In addition, the new map seems to be poorly optimised, getting as low as 12 fps in some areas.

Also this glitch

This post has been edited by The President Of The Internet: Jan 1 2006, 11:54 PM

+Quote Post
Bossss
post Jan 2 2006, 12:42 AM
Post #46

Private

Member No.: 4,307

QUOTE(Gecko_ @ Jan 1 2006, 08:52 PM)
This release has pulled over 2.5gb of data off my server already today.

Good work chaps.
[snapback]15363[/snapback]

Traffic from mirror flames-clan.de in five hour:

Hits | KBytes
149 | 14005158

This post has been edited by Bossss: Jan 2 2006, 12:44 AM

+Quote Post
gecko
post Jan 2 2006, 12:58 AM
Post #47

King Gecko of 1.0F Dev
Group Icon

Group: Admin
Member No.: 2,511

267 hits, servers streaming it up at 48mbps at the moment.

http://69.60.121.96/hotsanic/traffic/eth0.html

Seriously i only get 200gb a month, i might have to pull this if it hits the 100gb mark. (on 10gb so far)

This post has been edited by Gecko_: Jan 2 2006, 01:01 AM

+Quote Post
trebor
post Jan 2 2006, 01:54 AM
Post #48

Lieutennant

Member No.: 4,126

meh> more damage less damage, cant make every1 happy all of the time. I personally feel that the damage uppage is good, as also i enjoyed 0.1.5 alot and am happy. There are 1 or 2 things i found need tweaking- playing the other day i saw that i could reach damages of 199 points, and feel that even a point blank shot to the head should only make 100hps of damage since a player only has 100 hps to take, so some kind of damage capping would be kool. I also noticed that at times my FPS suffered at places for no reason, even on maps that where ok before. GREAT work guys keep it up cant wait for 0.1.6 (oh ya how come bg2 isn't on the hl2 mod wiki)

+Quote Post
tomdon
post Jan 2 2006, 02:03 AM
Post #49

:(
Group Icon

Member No.: 3,649

QUOTE(tomdon @ Jan 1 2006, 09:09 PM)

Panther, you have posted my screenshots that use the new models. People will get confused as 0.15 still uses the old ones.
[snapback]15366[/snapback]

To late...... halflife2.net hl2fallout etc are all running the new pics with there news posts.

+Quote Post
The President Of...
post Jan 2 2006, 02:18 AM
Post #50

Private

I all of a sudden can't find any servers running 15 =/

+Quote Post

4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >
Closed TopicStart new topic
3 User(s) are reading this topic (3 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st September 2017 - 06:44 AM