Reply to this topicStart new topic
> 0.17 - 1.0f Style Flags, Faster Bullets, Egg-shaped Movement
Cowboy From Hell
post Jul 2 2006, 07:25 AM
Post #26

Private

Group: Members
Member No.: 4,823

I've only seen 1 server running this version, y'all need to put this up on the front page of the site.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Forlorn_Hope
post Jul 2 2006, 08:38 AM
Post #27

Cat Herder in Chief
Group Icon

Group: BG Dev. Team
Member No.: 2,023

May I just point out how ironic it is that you're complaining about no longer being able to dodge bullets, from a historic point of view? Next thing you people will be complaining when the red glow is removed from bullets so they stop acting as tracers ohmy.gif

--------------------
"There will be no more naked sunbathing." An actual rule for the base I was on, in the middle of Afghanistan.

"Forlorn basically said everything right." Codename:V

+Quote Post
Cyris
post Jul 2 2006, 09:01 AM
Post #28

wanabe mapper/modeler Proud member of |First - First Frag

Member No.: 3,825

actually alot of people said it was a good things as it stops lone rangers and encourages team work.

+Quote Post
Goatblower
post Jul 2 2006, 10:01 AM
Post #29

Old

Member No.: 4,053

QUOTE(fludblud @ Jul 2 2006, 07:43 AM) [snapback]22221[/snapback]

the slower starfing is a welcome change as people no longer look like ballerinas in a melee battle and it makes line formations much more effective now that one guy cannot zig-zag with insane speed, dodging all the bullets and singlehandedly screw up the line.

Yes, that was far too much fun....... wink.gif

+Quote Post
jackx
post Jul 2 2006, 12:05 PM
Post #30

midnight devcult phenomena
Group Icon

Group: Retired Team Members
Member No.: 1,223

It'd have been fun, if it'd actually been demanding, something that took effort, and not just happened almost unavoidably... I enjoyed it at first, but it became dull rather quickly...

Oh and Popka, just what exactly makes you think that running straight at someone with a loaded gun should have any other result apart from you getting shot? Maybe an added slap for stupidity perhaps, but that's it, really...

Also, I doubt the guns would appear "too accurate" and shooting "too easy", if fighting actually took place at distances >20m.

--------------------
no truth - no justice
all false belief
blinded by morality
there shall be... no peace
no peace!

-------

+Quote Post
Popkov
post Jul 2 2006, 01:27 PM
Post #31

Major

Member No.: 1,488

What I meant jackx is that it is to slow for people to really move and avoid being shot when trying to get up close to an enemy and so the one aiming the gun just stands still carefully aiming more than 50% sure of a hit

+Quote Post
Priest
post Jul 2 2006, 01:42 PM
Post #32

Private

Member No.: 83

I can't wait to try out this patch. It seems to require more teamwork and I absolutely love that, I just hope people in teh servers will understand that too. Looking forward to kicking some ass with a team. smile.gif

+Quote Post
Goatblower
post Jul 2 2006, 02:21 PM
Post #33

Old

QUOTE(jackx @ Jul 2 2006, 01:05 PM) [snapback]22243[/snapback]

It'd have been fun, if it'd actually been demanding, something that took effort, and not just happened almost unavoidably... I enjoyed it at first, but it became dull rather quickly...

I disagree, it obviously was demanding because not everybody was good at melee, plus, if it was that easy, then everybody would quickly become up to the same standard and you would still require additional skill to out melee another player.

It also took more skill before to bring someone down with a gun, now the sidestepping is so slow you hardly have to lead the sights at all when shooting.......the hang back as loyalist/minuteman tactic is now begining to rule the roost.

+Quote Post
gRanTeLbArT
post Jul 2 2006, 03:22 PM
Post #34

aaaaaa | TRR scream team
Group Icon

Member No.: 3,115

I dont think loyalists/minutemen do a lot better than they did before
anyway, sidestep speed of 80% seems to play quite well

also, you can now lead your targets to much and therefore miss or hit the arms

--------------------
The Elders have foreseen victory this day!
Member of the TRR scream team.

+Quote Post
3DDEATH
post Jul 2 2006, 04:08 PM
Post #35

Major

Member No.: 2,430

Well the reports Im getting is people just cant adjust to change, this is normal. Second I dont like the flags at all, these wonderful flags should be waving in the breeze and not switching from left to right once capped. Teamplay I think is great even though I heard complaints about it, some players think they can win on there own. As for the sounds I heard mix feelings on them. Dev-team your getting there, thanx for making and updating the free mod we know as BG2. wink.gif

--------------------

QUOTE (gRanTeLbArT @ Aug 25 2007, 02:47 PM) *
I will tell you what I think, this is horrible. Like all the other remakes of BG1 maps. There is a reason why we do not do that in any form. Do not bother to remake old bg1 maps. BG1 was a totally different game as draco pointed out and the maps are not going to work out on BG2.

Rejoice in thy youth,soon it will be gone

+Quote Post
Goatblower
post Jul 2 2006, 04:32 PM
Post #36

Old

QUOTE(3DDEATH @ Jul 2 2006, 05:08 PM) [snapback]22252[/snapback]

Well the reports Im getting is people just cant adjust to change, this is normal.

Well I think the main issue is that people will readily accept change if they can see the justification for it?

No-one disputes that the majority of things in this update are for the good, and represent a lot of hard work from the devs, but I personally (and many others it appears) cannot see where the need to slow the movement down came from?

People (myself included) will adjust and continue to play and enjoy BG2, but it doesn't answer the question who felt it was necessary and why?

(and before people quote how unrealistic melee is, it always will be. Slowing sidestepping down hasn't made melee even a nano more realistic, it has just made it a lot less likely to happen)

+Quote Post
Popkov
post Jul 2 2006, 05:45 PM
Post #37

Major

Member No.: 1,488

I dont really know how it adds to realism anyway as Unrealistic guns + Realistic movement dosent work well sad.gif its really turned bg into mainly shooting, as people try to stay out of melee now. This really all needs to be compensated by a quite slower reload.

And maybe Crouch stabbing? thats not really an issue anymore and it would be better if it was only allowed with the Loyalist and commanders i think.

+Quote Post
gRanTeLbArT
post Jul 2 2006, 05:58 PM
Post #38

aaaaaa | TRR scream team
Group Icon

how do you want to know people mainly stay out of melee? (edit: maybe some noobs do xd) all I have played against on the 3D server the last days were point-blanking noobs like people from the [LINE] clan and these guys with "LOL" in front of their nicks xd and they only stay out of melee when they fight someone like me who actually charges people and is dangerous in close combat

that said, I didnt have to dodge a lot of bullets, but actually, even that worked quite well. other than that, I dont have a lot to say, because with ping 150 and 10-20fps my observations are not that accurate

--------------------

+Quote Post
jackx
post Jul 2 2006, 06:06 PM
Post #39

midnight devcult phenomena
Group Icon

Member No.: 1,223

If the movement system annoys you so much, you should've never liked any version of bg... not to mention that shooting in bg was also a lot easier...

I think we're moving towards semi-realistic guns as well as semi-realistic movement... and through that, towards a challenging and fun recreation of AWI warfare. Since firepower matters now, you have to actually make an effort beyond holding the forward key down to gain some ground...
If you don't like to think before acting, or just want to go it alone all the way, find a deathmatch game that is to your liking... a team-oriented military shooter is definitely the wrong game for you.

--------------------
no truth - no justice
all false belief
blinded by morality
there shall be... no peace
no peace!

-------

+Quote Post
Mr Brit
post Jul 2 2006, 06:58 PM
Post #40

Private

Member No.: 4,022

QUOTE(jackx @ Jul 2 2006, 02:06 PM) [snapback]22261[/snapback]

If the movement system annoys you so much, you should've never liked any version of bg... not to mention that shooting in bg was also a lot easier...

I think we're moving towards semi-realistic guns as well as semi-realistic movement... and through that, towards a challenging and fun recreation of AWI warfare. Since firepower matters now, you have to actually make an effort beyond holding the forward key down to gain some ground...
If you don't like to think before acting, or just want to go it alone all the way, find a deathmatch game that is to your liking... a team-oriented military shooter is definitely the wrong game for you.

I must admit I like this release. Capping reminds me of the old days when people actually helped cap a flag and hold it. Playing Ambush on 3D yesterday and only myself and a couple of others would recap the Brit camp flag when it had been lost, others just ran off to get some frags, annoying actually.

One other thing that I found a little irritating were the updated Brit voices, where the hell did you get them from? For one it sounds like an American trying to do them and I noticed one the "Under Fire" sounded like "Under Fryer". Alot of the words ending with an "R" were definately not English/British from my point of view, however some other may find that they are okay.

Just my 2 pennies worth.

+Quote Post
Goatblower
post Jul 2 2006, 07:31 PM
Post #41

Old

QUOTE(jackx @ Jul 2 2006, 07:06 PM) [snapback]22261[/snapback]

Actually, the thing that attracted me to BG is that it is (or was) anything but a military "shooter", there is already far too many of those.

+Quote Post
gRanTeLbArT
post Jul 2 2006, 08:40 PM
Post #42

aaaaaa | TRR scream team
Group Icon

QUOTE(Mr Brit @ Jul 2 2006, 08:58 PM) [snapback]22263[/snapback]

One other thing that I found a little irritating were the updated Brit voices, where the hell did you get them from? For one it sounds like an American trying to do them and I noticed one the "Under Fire" sounded like "Under Fryer". Alot of the words ending with an "R" were definately not English/British from my point of view, however some other may find that they are okay.

It was a swedish guy, you get used to the voices. one of the battle cries is pretty good

--------------------

+Quote Post
ltben
post Jul 2 2006, 10:00 PM
Post #43

Private

Member No.: 2,693

The phong lighting for me looks like everyone has their coats covered in strips of packing tape.

Also, is it me or does the Loyalist rifle has two very different firing sounds?

+Quote Post
Skillet5151
post Jul 3 2006, 01:37 AM
Post #44

Lieutennant

Member No.: 1,791

QUOTE(ltben @ Jul 2 2006, 06:00 PM) [snapback]22279[/snapback]

The phong lighting for me looks like everyone has their coats covered in strips of packing tape.

Also, is it me or does the Loyalist rifle has two very different firing sounds?
This might help you:
http://www.dayofdefeat.net/forums/showthre...;threadid=66472

+Quote Post
Nathan Hale
post Jul 3 2006, 02:48 AM
Post #45

Original BG First Release Player
Group Icon

Group: Admin
Member No.: 124

Yes, I have a mix of sounds as well. Is there a way to enable just one set of firing sounds? I like the new Penn sound quite a bit, but it doesn't mix totally well with the old one since they seem quite different.

Faster bullets are a nice chage. The old ones were a bit too slow.

This post has been edited by Nathan Hale: Jul 3 2006, 02:50 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post
DigitalDew
post Jul 3 2006, 04:20 AM
Post #46

Private

Member No.: 4,829

Is there a cvar to change flag capture back?

Another mirror for you guys:

http://www.spawnpoint.com/filedetails.asp?gname=bg2-017

+Quote Post
PostalDude
post Jul 3 2006, 05:57 AM
Post #47

Sound
Group Icon

Member No.: 1,970

Well the idea behind some gun sound variations was to kind of simulate light powder and heavy powder since I'm sure some had to guestimate how much to pour. Voice comms is still experimental so if anyone knows historically how they should sound... just email me at kjh5786@aol.com. It's just the current ones are kind of old and I'm sure someone has a brit sounding voice out there. I want to get it right as everyone else does but help is always needed.

This post has been edited by PostalDude: Jul 3 2006, 05:57 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Forlorn_Hope
post Jul 3 2006, 01:12 PM
Post #48

Cat Herder in Chief
Group Icon

Group: BG Dev. Team
Member No.: 2,023

I'm not sure how exactly I want to phrase this so I don't piss anyone off, but, here I go.

The Battle Grounds mod is supposed to be a Revolutionary War mod of Half-Life (2). Anyone who wants to see it actually be a Revolutionary War mod, recreating as much as possible the Revolutionary War within engine limitations, should applaud this release, as it is a step in the direction of a final goal.

Anyone who simply wants to run around shooting inaccurate weapons and stabing with differently lengthed armaments, I might suggest a game of paintball to you.

I honestly wonder about how people can bitch and moan about a mod that's supposed to be a Revolutionary War mod when it actually tries to fully realize the Revolutionary War, in all it's nitty-gritty action. When we decide to ignore historical accuracy, then things start becomming unimportant, such as uniforms, maps, firearms, weapons, until it becomes something that does not resemble the Revolutionary War at all. When you stop caring about historical accuracy, you then might start expecting things such as grenades, indians with bows and arrows, gatling guns, scopes, and numerous other things that would obviously detract from the game.

--------------------
"There will be no more naked sunbathing." An actual rule for the base I was on, in the middle of Afghanistan.

"Forlorn basically said everything right." Codename:V

+Quote Post
Goatblower
post Jul 3 2006, 03:11 PM
Post #49

Old

QUOTE(Forlorn_Hope @ Jul 3 2006, 02:12 PM) [snapback]22320[/snapback]

I'm not sure how exactly I want to phrase this so I don't piss anyone off, but, here I go.

The Battle Grounds mod is supposed to be a Revolutionary War mod of Half-Life (2). Anyone who wants to see it actually be a Revolutionary War mod, recreating as much as possible the Revolutionary War within engine limitations, should applaud this release, as it is a step in the direction of a final goal.

Anyone who simply wants to run around shooting inaccurate weapons and stabing with differently lengthed armaments, I might suggest a game of paintball to you.

I honestly wonder about how people can bitch and moan about a mod that's supposed to be a Revolutionary War mod when it actually tries to fully realize the Revolutionary War, in all it's nitty-gritty action. When we decide to ignore historical accuracy, then things start becomming unimportant, such as uniforms, maps, firearms, weapons, until it becomes something that does not resemble the Revolutionary War at all. When you stop caring about historical accuracy, you then might start expecting things such as grenades, indians with bows and arrows, gatling guns, scopes, and numerous other things that would obviously detract from the game.

But surely its got to be a compromise?

You could try and turn BG2 into some sort of historical re-enactment society but I believe the fanbase for that would be pretty limited, if you want people to actually play the mod then it must be enjoyable to play.

Anyway, as I posted earlier, I dont believe the adjustment to speed has done anything to improve realism or gameplay.

+Quote Post
gRanTeLbArT
post Jul 3 2006, 04:38 PM
Post #50

aaaaaa | TRR scream team
Group Icon

I cant walk sidewards with the same speed I can walk forward.. so yes, it did improve realism

This post has been edited by gRanTeLbArT: Jul 3 2006, 04:38 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post

4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st September 2017 - 06:49 AM