> Battlegrounds United (bgu), The only official BG2 matchplay league
Ad-Man
post Jun 24 2010, 04:13 AM
Post #1

Part of the Big Five conspiracy
Group Icon

Group: Admin
Member No.: 3,147

Some of you may have already heard about this league. This is basically a summary of what the BGU is.

The website is currently undergoing some superficial design tweaks but is fully functioning. It can be reached here: http://bgunited.org/

After the demise of the BGL NA division due to the admin being removed last week the BGU arranged exhibition matches at short notice for the Sunday.

The founding of this league was based on inter-clan cooperation, the name itself embodies the spirit of the league. Players playing BG with no personal vendettas of grudges that plagued the BGL. The format was drafted out with input from all parties involved.

This weekend the BGU will stage its initial ranked matches. It was decided to keep the 9PM Eastern time used by the BGL and 5on5 gameplay.

We have 10 teams currently signed up:

|AP|
-Bro Clan-
[E.M.]
>:()
|ISP|
{Mohawk}
[OBCD]
[OWN]
[S.S.]
.-/VBB\-.

(and (PL) when they re-activate)

All clans are welcome to participate, please fill out the application here: http://bgunited.org/newclan.php

--------------------
Do you cant read me ? Not read ..
Not like whot i write ? not read too ...
Where is the problem ?

QUOTE (Copywright (wallhacker/bad modeler))
BGu had a chance of coming back but Roob failed sad really
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Plexi
post Jun 24 2010, 12:04 PM
Post #2

angry aow player

Group: Members
Member No.: 4,252

Has dev team claimed BGU to be an official league?

This post has been edited by Plexi: Jun 24 2010, 12:18 PM

--------------------
-[TRR]- Pte. Plexi: http://plexi.wippiespace.com/kuvia/Pikkis.jpg
-[TRR]- Cpt. MPC [Campers] ~NTW: epic :P
-[TRR]- Cpt. MPC [Campers] ~NTW: Im using it for my
-[TRR]- Cpt. MPC [Campers] ~NTW: desktop
-[TRR]- Cpt. MPC [Campers] ~NTW: background

+Quote Post
mpc
post Jun 24 2010, 12:06 PM
Post #3

Padawan of Grantelbart
Group Icon

Group: BG Dev. Team
Member No.: 6,884

I agree. If anything the NA BGL was the official one. Everything else which is made after (BGU and NBL) are copy cats :P. Does it make it official because you got DEV members in them? :P

--------------------
Want to join TRR? www.theroyalrecruits.com - Plexi's cat can see your soul!

+Quote Post
Ad-Man
post Jun 24 2010, 12:24 PM
Post #4

Group Icon

Member No.: 3,147

It is official because it has been officially sanctioned by BG2.

--------------------
Do you cant read me ? Not read ..
Not like whot i write ? not read too ...
Where is the problem ?

QUOTE (Copywright (wallhacker/bad modeler))
BGu had a chance of coming back but Roob failed sad really

+Quote Post
BiG BirD
post Jun 24 2010, 12:28 PM
Post #5

Sergeant Major

Member No.: 6,951

QUOTE (mpc @ Jun 24 2010, 08:06 AM) *
I agree. If anything the NA BGL was the official one. Everything else which is made after (BGU and NBL) are copy cats :P. Does it make it official because you got DEV members in them? :P

well it may have been the official one for the past 8 years but once its inactive then its up for grabs.Slash you have done more damageto the game then any dev team by giving in and disbanding NA why can't we all smoke one and relax
[S.S.] wants to play in BGL

--------------------
[S.S.] FOREVER!!!

+Quote Post
gRanTeLbArT
post Jun 24 2010, 05:05 PM
Post #6

aaaaaa | TRR scream team
Group Icon

Group: Retired Team Members
Member No.: 3,115

Whatever I guess. 'DEV' team doesn't have decided to make anything official ever. But nobody prevents you from putting that tag onto anything..

(In case of BGU this may be a 'not yet decided to make official')

--------------------
The Elders have foreseen victory this day!
Member of the TRR scream team.

+Quote Post
jackx
post Jun 24 2010, 05:18 PM
Post #7

midnight devcult phenomena
Group Icon

Member No.: 1,223

BGL was a separate entity, and BGU is as well - dev involvement not withstanding.
It's a league run by the community (clans) for the community (clans), devs are involved as part of that community, not as developers.

I don't see the need to officially endorse any league, it's not necessary to provide good and enjoyable competition, and not required for cooperation either.

And while I generally agree with Grantel in not caring much one way or the other, in terms of the dev team'' public image, it might be preferable to not let people apply the "official" tag on their own initiative.
That'd also be another argument for not endorsing any community undertaking expressively unless it'd be crucial for its key functions - community ventures may crash and burn, and too close a connection could turn out to be damaging.

--------------------
no truth - no justice
all false belief
blinded by morality
there shall be... no peace
no peace!

-------

+Quote Post
Nathan Hale
post Jun 24 2010, 06:25 PM
Post #8

Original BG First Release Player
Group Icon

Member No.: 124

We are currently discussing the precise relationship between BGU and the Dev team backchannel. I am not qualified to speak to the issue of whether or not BGU is "official"-- as both a dev and league admin that creates a conflict of interest in terms of my vote on that issue. I have added thoughts to the discussion in the backchannel debate, but I can't make a formal vote on the matter of the dev to BGU relationship because I am both a Dev and BGU Admin.

But yes, the discussion as to the precise relationship is on-going privately as well.

--------------------

+Quote Post
AtotheD
post Jun 25 2010, 01:05 AM
Post #9

Private

Member No.: 14,066

:)

--------------------
euro>na

+Quote Post
3DDEATH
post Jun 25 2010, 01:40 AM
Post #10

Major

Member No.: 2,430

QUOTE (BiG BirD @ Jun 24 2010, 01:28 PM) *
QUOTE (mpc @ Jun 24 2010, 08:06 AM) *

well it may have been the official one for the past 8 years but once its inactive then its up for grabs.Slash you have done more damageto the game then any dev team by giving in and disbanding NA why can't we all smoke one and relax
[S.S.] wants to play in BGL

Slash did nothing I quit because of the cheating and the Harassment from Agent and his goons (dev team). There goal was to get me to quit and I did and Slash closed it down, Slash pays for the site to. Also there has been a decrease in player popularity towards the mod and I'm thinking I know why, But that's another story. I like how they have taken what I built and now call it theirs, At least what I did was for some good, 250 matches, beat that BOYS.

--------------------

QUOTE (gRanTeLbArT @ Aug 25 2007, 02:47 PM) *
I will tell you what I think, this is horrible. Like all the other remakes of BG1 maps. There is a reason why we do not do that in any form. Do not bother to remake old bg1 maps. BG1 was a totally different game as draco pointed out and the maps are not going to work out on BG2.

Rejoice in thy youth,soon it will be gone

+Quote Post
AngryTaxPayer
post Jun 25 2010, 02:07 AM
Post #11

His Lordship
Group Icon

Member No.: 5,683

QUOTE (3DDEATH @ Jun 24 2010, 09:40 PM) *
Also there has been a decrease in player popularity towards the mod and I'm thinking I know why, But that's another story. I like how they have taken what I built and now call it theirs, At least what I did was for some good, 250 matches, beat that BOYS.

Lol first of all, AP server has been seeing record numbers since the release of 2.0, so the game is doing just fine. I am sorry if your servers have been empty but that sounds like personal problems. Second of all , Death you have built nothing. You think your a mapper? I would say you are the worst mapper I have ever met, but that would imply that you are a mapper, which you are most assuredly not. You think you are/were a good leader? You were a corrupt Admin, that is the only reason why I ever supported tearing you down. I was very vocal to slash, and the community, that this conflict, as it matters to me, was nothing more than trying to get you out of the picture because you believed that you were above reproach. I am sorry you feel like the world is against you, but you owe only yourself for that.
Oh ya, and Slash himself wrote on the front page of the BGL site that you were REMOVED from admin. This is still posted on the news which anyone can see.

--------------------

The essential act of war is destruction, not necessarily of human lives, but of the products of human labor. War is a way of shattering to pieces, or pouring into the stratosphere, or sinking in the depths of the sea, materials which might otherwise be used to make the masses too comfortable, and hence, in the long run, too intelligent. And at the same time the consciousness of being at war, and therefore in danger, makes the handing-over of all power to a small caste seem the natural, unavoidable condition of survival. -George Orwell

+Quote Post
Steve
post Jun 25 2010, 02:08 AM
Post #12

Now avalible in Burdiet!
Group Icon

Member No.: 1,857

--------------------
Tropical Coke : AMURICA R AMBAR WAVZ OF GRANE

+Quote Post
TIEdup14
post Jun 25 2010, 02:13 AM
Post #13

The Heroic Elite Clan Founder/Leader

Member No.: 289

Dude, every night there is 1 server with players on it. ***NOW It happens to be AP server. Used to be the. server, and before that SS. I'm sure it'll rotate again in a month or so.*** However, half the population on their server every night is AP or their ilk. It's not that hard to have a full server when you have players in your clan who are unemployed or with nothing better to do and can sit in an empty server from 1pm onwards. Every night that I get my clan on my server it fills up pretty fast, so it's not a hard thing to do!

Great job keeping a full server, but let's not make it into something it's obviously not.

Edit: Haha AngryTAxPayer, you caught me not explaining thoroughly enough for you all-- I'll give you that one, enjoy the sig! :)

This post has been edited by TIEdup14: Jun 25 2010, 02:32 AM

--------------------
"Halten den glauben an den Endsieg"

+Quote Post
AngryTaxPayer
post Jun 25 2010, 02:21 AM
Post #14

His Lordship
Group Icon

QUOTE (TIEdup14 @ Jun 24 2010, 10:13 PM) *
Dude, every night there is 1 server with players on it. It happens to be AP server.

Dude, that is going on my signature.

--------------------

The essential act of war is destruction, not necessarily of human lives, but of the products of human labor. War is a way of shattering to pieces, or pouring into the stratosphere, or sinking in the depths of the sea, materials which might otherwise be used to make the masses too comfortable, and hence, in the long run, too intelligent. And at the same time the consciousness of being at war, and therefore in danger, makes the handing-over of all power to a small caste seem the natural, unavoidable condition of survival. -George Orwell

+Quote Post
Pollux
post Jun 25 2010, 02:33 AM
Post #15

Lieutennant

Member No.: 13,350

QUOTE (Steve @ Jun 24 2010, 10:08 PM) *

LOL

--------------------

+Quote Post
TIEdup14
post Jun 25 2010, 02:34 AM
Post #16

QUOTE (AngryTaxPayer @ Jun 24 2010, 10:07 PM) *
Lol first of all, AP server has been seeing record numbers since the release of 2.0, so the game is doing just fine. I am sorry if your servers have been empty but that sounds like personal problems.

With a statement like this, can you all still seriously say with a straight face that the devs care about the welfare of the mod more than their own personal gains??? LOL! sorcerer.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
AngryTaxPayer
post Jun 25 2010, 02:44 AM
Post #17

His Lordship
Group Icon

Quite the opposite sir. AP provides an environment that players find enjoyable, thus the repeat "business". We provide this environment free of charge to anyone who has access to an internet connection around the world. We want you to enjoy yourself while playing a fun game, a game that several of us develop (once again free of charge). We produce, host, and encourage a friendly atmosphere centered around simulated history. Does that sound like a clan with ill intentions? Sounds like a whole lot of giving and no asking for in return. But think what you will, say what you will, for it matters not.

--------------------

+Quote Post
XSpike
post Jun 25 2010, 02:52 AM
Post #18

Captain

Member No.: 2,066

QUOTE (Steve @ Jun 25 2010, 02:08 PM) *

What a show! Lets all sit back and enjoy. So who's pulling out the big guns next?? Nobody knows!!

+Quote Post
hairypotter
post Jun 25 2010, 03:02 AM
Post #19

Group Icon

Member No.: 3,585

QUOTE (Steve @ Jun 25 2010, 02:08 AM) *

Yeah. I'll go with this too.

--------------------
fa⋅ce⋅tious  [fuh-see-shuhs] –adjective
1. not meant to be taken seriously or literally: a facetious remark.
2. amusing; humorous.
3. lacking serious intent; concerned with something nonessential, amusing, or frivolous: a BG2 developer.

+Quote Post
TIEdup14
post Jun 25 2010, 03:04 AM
Post #20

QUOTE (AngryTaxPayer @ Jun 24 2010, 10:44 PM) *
Quite the opposite sir. AP provides an environment that players find enjoyable, thus the repeat "business". We provide this environment free of charge to anyone who has access to an internet connection around the world. We want you to enjoy yourself while playing a fun game, a game that several of us develop (once again free of charge). We produce, host, and encourage a friendly atmosphere centered around simulated history. Does that sound like a clan with ill intentions? Sounds like a whole lot of giving and no asking for in return. But think what you will, say what you will, for it matters not.

I think you are tied with Danihel in the "dumb guy trying really hard to sound intelligent" contest.

--------------------

+Quote Post
hairypotter
post Jun 25 2010, 03:06 AM
Post #21

Group Icon

Member No.: 3,585

cn i jone?

--------------------
fa⋅ce⋅tious  [fuh-see-shuhs] –adjective
1. not meant to be taken seriously or literally: a facetious remark.
2. amusing; humorous.
3. lacking serious intent; concerned with something nonessential, amusing, or frivolous: a BG2 developer.

+Quote Post
AngryTaxPayer
post Jun 25 2010, 03:09 AM
Post #22

His Lordship
Group Icon

QUOTE (TIEdup14 @ Jun 24 2010, 11:04 PM) *
I think you are tied with Danihel in the "dumb guy trying really hard to sound intelligent" contest.

20 minutes of white knuckle suspense for that? Tie you let me down, I had hoped you were a better opponent than that.

--------------------

+Quote Post
TIEdup14
post Jun 25 2010, 03:28 AM
Post #23

I'm not your opponent, tax. Nor am I anyone else's.

--------------------

+Quote Post
AngryTaxPayer
post Jun 25 2010, 03:30 AM
Post #24

His Lordship
Group Icon

So you call the intelligence of random people into question on public forums then? Wow you are a swell guy.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Nathan Hale
post Jun 25 2010, 03:34 AM
Post #25

Original BG First Release Player
Group Icon

Member No.: 124

The "close topic" button is becoming worn.

--------------------

+Quote Post

Closed TopicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st September 2017 - 08:38 AM