Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Custom Maps Wanted!
Black Panther
post Jan 8 2006, 04:55 PM
Post #1

everybody loves

Group: Members
Member No.: 6

Hello, Draco and I have been talking about custom maps lately. Those of you who were wondering why there is only 1 new map with BG2 v0.15 will be sad to know that we are rather short on mappers.

We are always keeping an eye on these custom maps you guys make. If you think your map has what it takes to become one of our official maps released within the next build of Battle Grounds 2 now's your chance to prove yourself.

We are looking for someone who will actually complete quality work. Submit your completed work on the BG2 3rd party mapping board and drop us(Draco, Predator or
Black Panther) a line (via PM).
There are a few requirements all amps have to fulfil:

The map MUST

- Not be deathmatch oriented. Meaning you need flags in some way and a gameplay that evolves around capturing those. No matter if its one team defening and the other attacking or both teams going for control of certain areas. Be creative and try new stuff.

- Not look like shit: If your map is a total trainwreck we can't accept it. Don't worry, not many people can produce consistently crap work, you can only improve smile.gif
(as Draco put it) I would just say that it should be a pleasure to look at for the players.

- be optimized. Care about performance. THink about how and where you use more polygons and where less.

- Plays well: If people don't like the map it won't become an official map. Make sure you have the balance right. Of course we help you a little here as it's difficult to playtest a map with many players at once for someone without a powerful server.
But at least TRY to make it balanced from the beginning.

You MUST

- Be willing to hand over the source and share your toys with us. We do not like to loose a map in the days of source control.

- No "I'm taking my toys and leaving!" don't be a dick. People who quit and take all their work with them are the scourge of the modding world. If you have a problem with your map being made public don't apply (again a nice Draco phrase! :cool: ) Basically meaning that you should be interested in the future of your work and listen to feedback and don't just send in your map and never show up again.

You may also place secondary objectives, it would certainly impress us. Think destructable walls to open secondary objectives. This will be better next patch, when we add the round containers(reset shit on round change! Trigger round wins through other means! Put exclamation marks after everything!)

Have fun mappers, we look forward to hearing from you.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
gRanTeLbArT
post Jan 8 2006, 06:11 PM
Post #2

aaaaaa | TRR scream team
Group Icon

Group: Retired Team Members
Member No.: 3,115

QUOTE(Black Panther @ Jan 8 2006, 06:55 PM)

You may also place secondary objectives, it would certainly impress us. Think destructable walls to open secondary objectives. This will be better next patch, when we add the round containers(reset shit on round change! Trigger round wins through other means! Put exclamation marks after everything!)

[snapback]15883[/snapback]

secondary objectives could be so secondary that they dont trigger a win
I would suggest another keyvalue for the flag entity: do not uncap under any circumstances

with that, you could do a flag that gives like 500 points once its capped, and with teambonusdelay to 0, wont give points again, with not needed for win and that new keyvalue I suggested it would then become a secondary objective to be captured once for bonus points and then to be left alone

--------------------
The Elders have foreseen victory this day!
Member of the TRR scream team.

+Quote Post
Draco
post Jan 9 2006, 12:40 AM
Post #3

They've taken my poopsmith!

Member No.: 3,242

QUOTE(gRanTeLbArT @ Jan 9 2006, 04:11 AM)
QUOTE(Black Panther @ Jan 8 2006, 06:55 PM)

[snapback]15883[/snapback]

secondary objectives could be so secondary that they dont trigger a win
I would suggest another keyvalue for the flag entity: do not uncap under any circumstances

with that, you could do a flag that gives like 500 points once its capped, and with teambonusdelay to 0, wont give points again, with not needed for win and that new keyvalue I suggested it would then become a secondary objective to be captured once for bonus points and then to be left alone
[snapback]15893[/snapback]

we have a much more elegant way of doing it later, the way i see it being done is you have a logic ent that you trigger with inputs

+Quote Post
RunsWithScissors
post Jan 16 2006, 07:22 AM
Post #4

Private

Member No.: 4,370

Just ran across you guys today and I must say: Damn cool! I had no idea about this mod. About 8 months ago, my brother and I were talking about doing something like this with UnrealEd (it's what I know), but I've been looking for a good reason to learn Source. I think I've found it!

My bro is quite good with modeling/texturing so I'll try to get him on board as well. (If he can stop flying upside-down under bridges in BF2 for a while)

+Quote Post
Flask
post Jan 17 2006, 10:41 PM
Post #5

Royalist

Member No.: 2,089

*goes back to work fiddling with bg_oriskany* :happy:

+Quote Post
tomdon
post Jan 18 2006, 03:11 PM
Post #6

:(
Group Icon

Member No.: 3,649

I still have my snow map on the back burner. I might be able to get that out the door by 0.16. Theres always bg_fall as well.

+Quote Post
Snups
post Jan 18 2006, 05:24 PM
Post #7

Private

Member No.: 4,369

Can i make it - if i finished my map within 3 - 4 weeks? Is there a deadline cat.gif

I mean - till the update..is in place..

And further more - Will there be new models.. i have to put into my map.. Updated Soldiers ect.

Iwould like to know.. Stuff like that.

And do you want screenshots..?

+Quote Post
Ginger_Lord
post Jan 18 2006, 05:41 PM
Post #8

Chav Hunter

Member No.: 3,667

*creates map*

sorcerer.gif

+Quote Post
B4DschK4Pp
post Jul 13 2006, 10:42 PM
Post #9

B4DschK4Pp

Member No.: 4,866

Hi guys,
i created a map and want to know if it is worth to finish it.
maybe you can see that it is my first map on bg2. and i'm not mapping all the time. just 4 fun, sometimes.

i want to add a few houses and wanted to add an acre but didn't know how to make it. ;-) (did i tell you that i'm a noob?), some hedges and bushes, etc

i would like to get some feedback from you, what to make better, what to add/leave out and if it's worth to go on with it.

here are a few screenshots

http://sebbo87.se.funpic.de/test10002.jpg
http://sebbo87.se.funpic.de/test10003.jpg
http://sebbo87.se.funpic.de/test10004.jpg
http://sebbo87.se.funpic.de/test10005.jpg
http://sebbo87.se.funpic.de/test10006.jpg
http://sebbo87.se.funpic.de/test10008.jpg
http://sebbo87.se.funpic.de/test10009.jpg
http://sebbo87.se.funpic.de/test10011.jpg
http://sebbo87.se.funpic.de/test10012.jpg
http://sebbo87.se.funpic.de/test10013.jpg
http://sebbo87.se.funpic.de/test10017.jpg

+Quote Post
Forlorn_Hope
post Jul 14 2006, 03:08 AM
Post #10

Cat Herder in Chief
Group Icon

Group: BG Dev. Team
Member No.: 2,023

It's definatly a good start. I'd tweak a couple important things. One, I'd add more cover, but not in fences and what have you. Fences are nice, but one thing you'll notice if you ever go to a historic place is that the fences generally have a purpose, and aren't laid out for the explicit use of cover for skirmishers as they wage a war. Where there is a piece of a fence, there is more of it! Where there is a fence, there is a house!

If you want to avoid entire fences and houses, try replacing them with a more wild area. Give the place wild bushes, trees, overgrowth, etc. If it's not populated, it's certainly not well manicured!

Also, avoid cliffs and sharp peaks, if at all possible. Our mountains on the east coast trend more towards the gentler side, as opposed to the Rockies of the west.

--------------------
"There will be no more naked sunbathing." An actual rule for the base I was on, in the middle of Afghanistan.

"Forlorn basically said everything right." Codename:V

+Quote Post
Sgt Pepper
post Jul 14 2006, 08:19 AM
Post #11

Sgt Pepper - Just the wrong side of 'taste' since 1805
Group Icon

Member No.: 11

QUOTE(Forlorn_Hope @ Jul 14 2006, 05:08 AM) [snapback]22900[/snapback]

Where there is a fence, there is a house!

.. or a field or corral, or other type of enclosure. They are used for keeping things in, or keeping things out.The long fence next to the water seems reasonable to me, depending on what you want to enclose.

The graveyard seems a bit out of place too. I would expect one near a church or chapel, or perhaps bordering a town, but this one seems a bit random. Although it does enhance the Tim Burton feeling of it.

+Quote Post
B4DschK4Pp
post Jul 14 2006, 09:04 AM
Post #12

B4DschK4Pp

Member No.: 4,866

Thx 4 the replys.

first of all, the fences are not for cover. it should be the end of the gaming area.

http://sebbo87.se.funpic.de/test10016.2.jpg
http://sebbo87.se.funpic.de/test10017.2.jpg

as you can see i want to add a little village, or just a few houses, on the american spawn side.
i tried to add some fields with the "apply decals"-tool, but it didn't look that good. if anybody has some tips for me how to make a field let me know.

+Quote Post
Forlorn_Hope
post Jul 14 2006, 11:18 AM
Post #13

Cat Herder in Chief
Group Icon

Group: BG Dev. Team
Member No.: 2,023

Though the graveyard would be fine with a house or village nearby. Though the really big statue in there seems a little out of place, and for some reason makes me think of Stalin ohmy.gif

--------------------
"There will be no more naked sunbathing." An actual rule for the base I was on, in the middle of Afghanistan.

"Forlorn basically said everything right." Codename:V

+Quote Post
Ennui
post Jul 20 2006, 10:21 PM
Post #14

Private

Member No.: 4,876

this is six months old, does it still apply? i have two or three maps in the works

--------------------
[S.S.] Hands Mechanical (PL)

+Quote Post
Schatzmeister
post Jul 21 2006, 10:54 AM
Post #15

Lieutennant

Member No.: 2,386

Custom maps are always wanted.

+Quote Post
sigge
post Jul 22 2006, 06:30 PM
Post #16

far too busy, bein delicious

Member No.: 4,559

someone make bg_bigtown to bg2 and I'll be happy. would be like big enough town with houses that people can go in to camp. then there would be maybe three flags, central of town, the main entrance to town and then some underground places. that'd be nice to see also in 1.0f olol

--------------------
QUOTE(Marnie Richards)
you don't KNOW ME. i am a good friend, i pride myself on that. and it IS a chore, she shouldn't have got herself in this situation and it is her fault. it is like when a friend gets drunk and you have to look after them. it is a hassle and you shouldn't have to do it, but you know you will do it because you do that for friends.

+Quote Post
gRanTeLbArT
post Jul 22 2006, 07:01 PM
Post #17

aaaaaa | TRR scream team
Group Icon

Member No.: 3,115

wtf is bg_bigtown

--------------------
The Elders have foreseen victory this day!
Member of the TRR scream team.

+Quote Post
sigge
post Jul 22 2006, 09:18 PM
Post #18

far too busy, bein delicious

Member No.: 4,559

my idea for the name for the map dummyIPB Image

This post has been edited by sigge: Jul 22 2006, 09:21 PM

--------------------
QUOTE(Marnie Richards)
you don't KNOW ME. i am a good friend, i pride myself on that. and it IS a chore, she shouldn't have got herself in this situation and it is her fault. it is like when a friend gets drunk and you have to look after them. it is a hassle and you shouldn't have to do it, but you know you will do it because you do that for friends.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd September 2017 - 04:50 PM