> Feature: Capture The Flag Game Mode, Can Be Tested on the latest SVN
Nathan Hale
post Nov 16 2008, 04:45 AM
Post #1

Original BG First Release Player
Group Icon

Group: Admin
Member No.: 124

HP has put together a basic capture the flag mode for the SVN beta. The mode is brand new and is a bit unstable still. It also lacks all features besides just being able to steal the flag and bring it back (you don't know who has the flag, no sounds for flag indications). It does have text warnings that the flag has been captured. There is only one map that works with it currently.

Feel free to run the SVN and test it out. We'd like to hear from you about it, so post your experiences below. Be aware that this is an initial basic test of the system and may not be working 100% in all instances.

This mode is NOT FINAL. We will be testing it out and improving it to the point where hopefully it will be in the next release. If it encounters serious technical problems, we may have to remove it. However our plan is to get it in the next release in a working and playable form.

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Nathan Hale
post Nov 16 2008, 04:50 AM
Post #2

Group Icon

By the way, the SVN game server may not be up. You may have to run "create server" to test this feature out, or put up your own server online and invite your friends to try it.

I ran it by myself on the test map and it worked for me tonight.

--------------------

+Quote Post
JakeParlay
post Nov 16 2008, 05:09 AM
Post #3

Captain
Group Icon

Group: Retired Team Members
Member No.: 5,061

worked great here, too. this is gonna be awesome

+Quote Post
{22nd} Sol
post Nov 16 2008, 11:18 AM
Post #4

Captain

Group: Members
Member No.: 7,000

Updating SVN right now. Sounds Cool smile.gif
______

Works perfectly for me, obv the sounds need to be changed to something more appropriate tongue.gif couple of other improvments as noted above and it will be great new game play mode for bg2. Good work devs!

This post has been edited by {22nd} Sol: Nov 16 2008, 12:09 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
DivaBebopinYou
post Nov 16 2008, 02:51 PM
Post #5

The Real Sobe Pimp Daddy!

Member No.: 6,828

QUOTE(Nathan Hale @ Nov 16 2008, 04:45 AM) *
...The mode is brand new and is a bit unstable still. It also lacks all features besides just being able to steal the flag and bring it back (you don't know who has the flag, no sounds for flag indications)....

That is because you need to set the flag entities sound wav for when the team steals it, caps it and drops it for ether side. That is what I did for hairy's ALT CTF 1.0 and 1.1. I am the only one that has made custom CTF maps for BG2. Well, I can't wait to make some more CTF maps that people will play since the only people that has played my CTF maps is AP, 3D, SS, and some pubbers. I think Stuka and his clan has jump into my CTF maps a few times. AP is the only server that hosted CTF maps for ALT.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Nathan Hale
post Nov 16 2008, 05:41 PM
Post #6

Group Icon

QUOTE(DivaBebopinYou @ Nov 16 2008, 09:51 AM) *
QUOTE(Nathan Hale @ Nov 16 2008, 04:45 AM) *
...The mode is brand new and is a bit unstable still. It also lacks all features besides just being able to steal the flag and bring it back (you don't know who has the flag, no sounds for flag indications)....

That is because you need to set the flag entities sound wav for when the team steals it, caps it and drops it for ether side. That is what I did for hairy's ALT CTF 1.0 and 1.1. I am the only one that has made custom CTF maps for BG2. Well, I can't wait to make some more CTF maps that people will play since the only people that has played my CTF maps is AP, 3D, SS, and some pubbers. I think Stuka and his clan has jump into my CTF maps a few times. AP is the only server that hosted CTF maps for ALT.

As HP explained it to me (and he can correct me if I'm wrong about this), this CTF game mode is basically the guts of what he did for alt. We have yet to make the sound entities for it or set those up. In any event the way it works right now is that any class can steal the flag and they suffer no movement penalty for carrying it. That probably will change-- in order to balance the gameplay out and to balance offense v. defense, we may limit capturing to certain class and/or make the guy carrying the flag move a bit slower than normal (as inspired by the success of the old TFC games). We're also looking at different scoring systems for CTF, though that probably will end up just being the normal 1 cap, 1 point system I guess.

I discussed some map ideas with Jake and he seemed excited by the prospect of some new maps coming in on the CTF gameplay side. We're also interested in any high quality third party CTF maps to help get the gameplay mode off the ground in the next version (we need more than just 1 or 2 maps to give it a fair chance in the next version). So anyone who has a ready-made CTF map is free to talk to us if they want to submit it for the official map list. We have two excellent mappers on the team in Grantel and Jake, but it would be asking a lot to put all the work of making new CTF maps on just them. So... anyone who has a third party map that is really nice for CTF (historical accuracy must be strong, and gameplay must flow well with CTF), feel free to contact the dev team about possibly giving us a look at it. If that isn't a comfortable arrangement because you want to retain all use rights to your map, feel free to give us all a look in the third party dev area too.

--------------------

+Quote Post
DivaBebopinYou
post Nov 16 2008, 06:11 PM
Post #7

Well, you guys make your historical maps, I am not someone for that really, but I like to use props of the era. I made all my maps for fun and having fun. XD If you want to look at them then I will give you the vmf files for free. I don't mind sharing them with you all ether.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Nathan Hale
post Nov 17 2008, 06:54 AM
Post #8

Group Icon

Jake Parlay has added a new, more functional capture the flag map to the SVN. This map is called "yard brawl", and once you update SVN it should appear in your server list.

The map is quite basic and follows the old-style "2 Fortress" design.

The enemy flag is located on the back wall of their fort on the ground level. To capture the flag, grab it and return it to your own flag's area.

If you fall into the cavern, it will probably kill you. If you become trapped down there for any reason, you can use console "kill" to suicide.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Seebaer
post Nov 17 2008, 12:41 PM
Post #9

Modeler

Member No.: 1,567

that by the way would be a great blog entry wink.gif just for communication purposes nath.
I thought about how to get people into the blog and news either just with one look. maybe there should be a header with some informations that there are new blog/news entries, or make a splitted front page with blog an news shortys wit links to the actual entries. Out of this, there also could be an bg2-rss feed biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Nathan Hale
post Nov 17 2008, 05:16 PM
Post #10

Group Icon

QUOTE(Seebaer @ Nov 17 2008, 07:41 AM) *
that by the way would be a great blog entry wink.gif just for communication purposes nath.
I thought about how to get people into the blog and news either just with one look. maybe there should be a header with some informations that there are new blog/news entries, or make a splitted front page with blog an news shortys wit links to the actual entries. Out of this, there also could be an bg2-rss feed biggrin.gif

I'll talk to HP or Grantel about putting up a new news post and a new blog entry for our progress. Jake and I don't seem to have access to news or blog, but Grantel and HP do. I'll talk to them.

--------------------

+Quote Post
DivaBebopinYou
post Dec 5 2008, 05:06 PM
Post #11

All I can say is Uber Sweet!! I love it. I hope you guys release the next update soon. biggrin.gif Because I really want to get back into maping CTF maps for BG2 when I did for ALT. I have soo maps I want to create for thie mode and bring and update my two fun ones called bg_bathroom_ctf and bg_enclave_ctf. I've been thinking about creating some outdoor CTF maps as well to fit the era style of battlefields.

--------------------

+Quote Post
JakeParlay
post Dec 5 2008, 10:51 PM
Post #12

Captain
Group Icon

Group: Retired Team Members
Member No.: 5,061

yes, we're quite proud of the up and coming CTF mode. I'm like you, I can't flippin' wait for the next update smile.gif

+Quote Post
3DDEATH
post Dec 7 2008, 05:14 PM
Post #13

Major

Member No.: 2,430

Oh yea HP and I was working on this awhile back. I found this map somewhere here called jabus_flats_beta 2 and it was already a ctf map, so HP decompiled it and recompiled to ALT. and got to work pretty good and it was fun. It was new and some crashing took place. Hope this gets in. Taxpayer made some colorful return points.

--------------------

QUOTE (gRanTeLbArT @ Aug 25 2007, 02:47 PM) *
I will tell you what I think, this is horrible. Like all the other remakes of BG1 maps. There is a reason why we do not do that in any form. Do not bother to remake old bg1 maps. BG1 was a totally different game as draco pointed out and the maps are not going to work out on BG2.

Rejoice in thy youth,soon it will be gone

+Quote Post
DivaBebopinYou
post Dec 8 2008, 03:41 PM
Post #14

I don't like the glowing thing Tax does with the CTF flags and path. it makes the game look funky. I like it my style.

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th July 2019 - 07:13 PM