IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Civil War Mod For Bg2, Just a little projective been working on...
AngryTaxPayer
post Dec 2 2009, 04:15 AM
Post #1

His Lordship
Group Icon

Group: Retired Team Members
Member No.: 5,683

I'm currently working on modding bg2 into a civil war mod. As of right now i have 2 classes set up, a confederate officer and a union infantry class. Work is slow since i'm doing this all by myself but i just wanted to post pics of the 2 classes i have so far. With the 2 classes i have 3 new weapons added, 2 revolvers and an enfield rifle.
Ragged looking confed officer with revolver.

Union Infantry with Enfield

This post has been edited by AngryTaxPayer: Dec 2 2009, 04:16 AM

--------------------

The essential act of war is destruction, not necessarily of human lives, but of the products of human labor. War is a way of shattering to pieces, or pouring into the stratosphere, or sinking in the depths of the sea, materials which might otherwise be used to make the masses too comfortable, and hence, in the long run, too intelligent. And at the same time the consciousness of being at war, and therefore in danger, makes the handing-over of all power to a small caste seem the natural, unavoidable condition of survival. -George Orwell
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
AGENT
post Dec 2 2009, 07:31 PM
Post #2

AP Clan Founder
Group Icon

Member No.: 13,219

black characters... sweet...

--------------------

+Quote Post
Tropical Coke
post Dec 2 2009, 08:16 PM
Post #3

Sergeant Major

Group: Members
Member No.: 13,371

needs gorillas

+Quote Post
Cpl.Kieth
post Dec 3 2009, 03:26 AM
Post #4

#1 fanboi

Member No.: 7,417

Lol the black guy looks like a zombie, i like this. Plz add a crouch bug.

--------------------
I can put a fucking iron triangle in your head from 9ft away with my long land pattern brown bess flintlock musket.
* K *: YA I GIMP SHIT TOo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QH2-TGUlwu4

+Quote Post
{22nd} Sol
post Dec 3 2009, 08:31 PM
Post #5

Captain

Member No.: 7,000

if u can model this well do the team some british/american player models.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Tropical Coke
post Dec 4 2009, 11:13 PM
Post #6

Sergeant Major

Member No.: 13,371

bg2 with blacks

+Quote Post
frank garrett
post Jun 21 2010, 06:08 AM
Post #7

Sergeant

Member No.: 14,136

i love the civil preiod. but i hope you know that in the civil war they dident used muskets anymore. they had bullets. this is i think was the first war using weapons with bullets.also there were huge cannons and the first machingun the big minigun. so i think this should be an independent mod i dont know how it will fit to bg 2

This post has been edited by frank garrett: Jun 21 2010, 06:10 AM

+Quote Post
klifsnider
post Jun 21 2010, 07:22 AM
Post #8

Major
Group Icon

Group: BG Dev. Team
Member No.: 7,408

QUOTE (frank garrett @ Jun 21 2010, 06:08 AM) *
i love the civil preiod. but i hope you know that in the civil war they dident used muskets anymore. they had bullets. this is i think was the first war using weapons with bullets.also there were huge cannons and the first machingun the big minigun. so i think this should be an independent mod i dont know how it will fit to bg 2

Yeah no. Necropost also.

--------------------
Collected awards in BGU matches:
>Most Annoying Playstyle
>Lamest Killstealer
>Best Spectator

+Quote Post
15th Col Hherlev
post Jun 21 2010, 10:01 PM
Post #9

Lieutennant

Member No.: 13,321

Frank, you arenīt a very history minded person, lol....

They used muskets, I donīt know why would say otherwise... The Springfield and the Enfield was the 2 most common weapons of the war! Bullets were invented at the END of the war, not before, or in the middle! They had henry rifles, which were not bullet based.

Its true they had the Gatlin gun, and not even the Gatlin gun used bullets, but catridges, like ALL THE OTHER weapons in the war! (Except for the Winchester, and another gun I dont remember the name of).

You should really know your history mate!

--------------------
Friend of Chuck Norris!

+Quote Post
Forlorn_Hope
post Jun 21 2010, 10:22 PM
Post #10

Cat Herder in Chief
Group Icon

Group: BG Dev. Team
Member No.: 2,023

Hherley, the guy's English needs a bit of work, but, don't get yourself too carried away.

The Civil War Enfields and Springfields were known as Rifled Muskets. There WERE rifles during the war, and, while not all units used the Minié ball, they were in the majority. They had skirts set to expand to catch on the three lands and grooves in the Springfield, and had a pointed nose. They weren't the French Spitzer style that we're more familiar with today, but they certainly fall under bullet. And while fully encased rounds for firearms like the Henry were less common and more expensive, they did exist. And, what exactly do you mean the Henry wasn't bullet based? Henry Loading can be seen in the link. Though, you are correct in saying the Gatling Gun wasn't used by the Army during the Civil War. (However, the Navy did in fact issue out a few to Adm. Porter, if memory serves.)

--------------------
"There will be no more naked sunbathing." An actual rule for the base I was on, in the middle of Afghanistan.

"Forlorn basically said everything right." Codename:V

+Quote Post
Nathan Hale
post Jun 22 2010, 01:17 AM
Post #11

Original BG First Release Player
Group Icon

Group: Admin
Member No.: 124

As FH said-- "Musket" and "Rifled Musket" are a little different. An Enfield or a Springfield 1861 will look like a musket and actually handle like a musket in terms of balance, but actually has a rifled barrel and solid accuracy.

The Springfield 1842 is a true "Musket", provided it has the original barrel still, as it's a smoothbore. It will have workable accuracy out to a few dozen yards, then it tails off after that.

"Musket" usually means smooth inside the barrel-- meaning a fast reload, but limited range. "Rifled Musket" looks like a musket on the outside, but has a rifled barrel with good accuracy.

[As an aside I often hear muzzleloader hobbyists call a gun a "smooth rifle". I'm somewhat skeptical as to the propriety of that term as the word "rifle" comes from the older German term referring directly to the "grooves" in the barrel of the gun. So, a "rifle" has grooves and "lands", something a smoothbore won't have, by definition.]

In BG2 the following guns are "smoothbore"-- they have no grooves or lands in the barrel and therefore have a somewhat limited accuracy and range combination:
-Brown Bess and American Brown Bess
-Brown Bess Carbine
-Fowler
-Charleville
-Revolutionaire
-American and British pistols
-Long Pattern Brown Bess

Two guns have "rifled" barrels-- they have the grooves and lands. They have excellent accuracy and range.
-Jaeger
-Pennsylvania (frontiersman)

--------------------

+Quote Post
15th Col Hherlev
post Jun 22 2010, 11:23 AM
Post #12

Lieutennant

Member No.: 13,321

Folorn: I did not say the Gatlin Gun wasnīt used in the civil war, it was indeed! However, not much as it was very unstable, due to an almost constant jamming...

And why would you not say the Springfield and the Enfield doesnīt go under muskets?? It is a musket, as it uses catridges, and normally round balls.
Bullet shaped balls, were used, yes! But not by regular infantry soldiers, more like Sharpshooters.

--------------------
Friend of Chuck Norris!

+Quote Post
jackx
post Jun 22 2010, 12:22 PM
Post #13

midnight devcult phenomena
Group Icon

Member No.: 1,223

Minié balls were pretty much the universal ammo for the rifled muskets. That indeed leaves us with muskets firing balls, but only in period nomenclature - technically, you have expanding bullets fired through rifled barrels.

Round ball - are you serious? The viability of the rifled musket as a general infantry weapon pretty much revolved around the expanding bullet, which meant it could be loaded roughly as quickly as a smoothbore due to the (initially) undersized projectile.

Which is not to say that more traditional muskets weren't used, they were, particularly early in the war smoothbores of various types were still quite common.

And what do cartridges have to with this? A cartridge is a combination of projectile and propellant, usually but no longer necessarily encased in some sort of container, and loaded into a firearm into a variety of ways. Paper cartridges aren't exclusive to muzzle-loaders, and certainly not exclusive to smoothbore muskets.

Forlorn already said it, and I'll repeat it - don't get too carried away, just because you think you know better.
Even if you don't mind looking the fool on occasion, not all others will relish the display in equal measure.

All that said, why are we so eagerly hijacking Tax's modelling thread over a necropost?

--------------------
no truth - no justice
all false belief
blinded by morality
there shall be... no peace
no peace!

-------

+Quote Post
frank garrett
post Jul 18 2010, 07:48 PM
Post #14

Sergeant

Member No.: 14,136

so. this mod is a stanalone mod or its just bg2 with diffrent skins>?

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th July 2019 - 05:47 AM