> First Model
Mikoo
post May 26 2011, 05:00 PM
Post #1

Private

Group: Members
Member No.: 14,808

Hi everyone,

The last week, i've made an rp map for my team and my teammates ask me to put a canon in it but i haven't found any canon, except in custom maps.
So i've decided to make my own.
This is my first model and skin ever, so please be soft with me =P
( and sorry for my english)

and screenshots in-game :

I've compared it to a canon that i've found in another custom map.

This post has been edited by Mikoo: May 26 2011, 05:02 PM

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
gRanTeLbArT
post May 26 2011, 06:16 PM
Post #2

aaaaaa | TRR scream team
Group Icon

Group: Retired Team Members
Member No.: 3,115

Looks good but only NH and Forlorn Hope could give you feedback on the historical accuracy of the construction. I like it, it looks very nice.

--------------------
The Elders have foreseen victory this day!
Member of the TRR scream team.

+Quote Post
Forlorn_Hope
post May 26 2011, 07:24 PM
Post #3

Cat Herder in Chief
Group Icon

Group: BG Dev. Team
Member No.: 2,023

Heyo, looks good! Here are some tips I can give on the historic look:

I'm not sure how thick the actual metal of your cannon is, because I can't see the muzzle. Not a big deal. It does look a bit longer and narrower to me, which suggests thin cannon walls. The thing is though, when cannons were cast, they had imperfections, so a thin barrel would burst easily. Thus, Rev War cannons tended to be of heftier construction. A good picture can be seen here:

Another good picture of an iron cannon is:

This is another cannon that I came across at Guilford Courthouse, but I would keep with the more traditional, and readily available, iron tubes. Still, the carriage is a good reference picture:

Note how there isn't really a stick handling elevation, it's more of a wedge that can be pushed in and out. Also, your trail (the piece of wood that goes to the ground) seems a touch short, but it could just be my perspective. Your cannon looks like it's just balancing on the corner of the carriage, where there should be arms of the cannon that are clamped down into the carriage, holding it in place. Your wheels look nice, but the spokes of a typical wheel don't extend right into the iron hoops, but rather, into a wooden wheel. The iron hoop is just to protect the wheel.

It's a damn good start, and great for a first try. Don't get discouraged. A good cannon is something that I've always wanted!

--------------------
"There will be no more naked sunbathing." An actual rule for the base I was on, in the middle of Afghanistan.

"Forlorn basically said everything right." Codename:V

+Quote Post
Mikoo
post May 26 2011, 07:50 PM
Post #4

Private

Thanks you for feedbacks. :) It will help me a lot. I'm not accoutumed of this 3d software for the moment but i'll follow your indications to improvent this canon.

I'm french so i've made a canon more "napoleonic".

So i get back to work. ;) Thanks again & i'll post screenshots during my work.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Forlorn_Hope
post May 26 2011, 07:58 PM
Post #5

Cat Herder in Chief
Group Icon

Group: BG Dev. Team
Member No.: 2,023

Well, just remember, Napoleonic is 25 years later ;o

--------------------
"There will be no more naked sunbathing." An actual rule for the base I was on, in the middle of Afghanistan.

"Forlorn basically said everything right." Codename:V

+Quote Post
Mikoo
post May 26 2011, 08:02 PM
Post #6

Private

When this canon will be finished, i'll make one like your pictures innocent.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Mikoo
post May 26 2011, 11:22 PM
Post #7

Private

So i've worked on the model.

Tell me what you think about it before that i work on the uv map. =)

Or maybe like this :

Just a little test :

And now it's time to sleep ^^

This post has been edited by Mikoo: May 27 2011, 12:49 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post
James Asner
post May 27 2011, 02:40 AM
Post #8

Captain

Member No.: 14,047

From a wild west website, yes. But it's nearly the same.

I'm really exciting that someone is doing a cannon and hopefully some of this helps. The "trails" of the cannon are the wooden sides that the trunnions of the cannon rest on at the top and that rest on the ground at the bottom. I can see in your update that you started working on a duel trail setup. This is probably easier to model than the single you had earlier and would be more appropriate for the time. At the back, the trails are connected by a flat board with a hole to mount it on a limber. The hole is 4 to 5 inches around and re-enforced with iron, and an iron ring.

under the cannon is also a long, flat board mounted at a height so a wedge can fit under the barrel from the rear. The wedge is 5 to 7 inches wide and tall, and 10 to 12 inches long, tapering on the long edge. The square end has a peg handle.

the trunnion is the "axle" on the cannon and should be thick, 3 or more inches in diameter. It should be balanced on the barrel so the barrel leans backward but only requires about 20 pounds of force to lift the barrel and adjust the wedge. The muzzle also comes to a flare quickly, with a flat face.

The axles are carved of wood and are surprisingly wide. The wheels center is built several layers of thick wood, rounded and banded by a smith with iron bands. It now looks like a small powder keg. The spokes are carved so they curve and flare outward. The rim is added and an iron band is added around the rim as well.

You can see the iron works all around the trails edge, and around the body. This re-enforces the wood, to prevent damage and prevent weather to become an issue sooner than expected. After the carriage became useless, it was burned as a whole and the irons were fished from the fire to be used again.

EDIT:The kings crown! Almost forgot, if the cannon belongs to the king it has his mark on the top of the barrel above the vent. Forlorn Hope's post has a good view from the front. See the spokes curved but also the wheels tilted outward at the top? This is so the carriage will move smoother on a limber. It forces the carriage to "track" to the center.

Honestly, good luck with this project. If you can model this as two pieces; carriage and barrel, that would be amazing.

EDIT2:Sorry. I gave you measurements but I didn't tell you what they were for. I based them roughly on a carriage for a 2 to 3 pound flanking gun which is basically the same size as the carriage in these two pics and forlorn's pics.

This post has been edited by James Asner: May 27 2011, 02:54 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post
analord
post May 27 2011, 12:20 PM
Post #9

BG's number uno

Member No.: 6,981

I WANT LAZERGUNZ

--------------------
Vitali Rapflow: frodo
Vitali Rapflow: find the ring
Vitali Rapflow: now
Vitali Rapflow: go
Be Blue ! Dallan disconnected.

+Quote Post
Mikoo
post May 27 2011, 12:38 PM
Post #10

Private

Thanks a lot for the documentations, i'm not good with the 'scales' happy.gif

I think i'll make all the iron parts and the other details in the texture and not directly in the model.

I don't know how much can support the source engine for one model, i know "dog" from HL2 has ~17000 vertices for ~6000 polygons, i'm at ~2300 vertices for ~4500 polygons at the moment.

It's not really optimized. ermm.gif

But i've worked on it, just take a look :

This post has been edited by Mikoo: May 28 2011, 01:25 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Mikoo
post May 28 2011, 01:26 PM
Post #11

Private

I've reduced the vertices to ~1020 and the polygons to ~1900 i think it's better now. But i'm very limited to make details, i'm not a pro. ermm.gif

A painting preview :

I'll work to the full texture tomorrow.

--------------------

+Quote Post
gRanTeLbArT
post May 28 2011, 01:50 PM
Post #12

aaaaaa | TRR scream team
Group Icon

Group: Retired Team Members
Member No.: 3,115

I think it looks good, keep it up

--------------------
The Elders have foreseen victory this day!
Member of the TRR scream team.

+Quote Post
Mikoo
post May 30 2011, 12:55 AM
Post #13

Private

Hi !

I'm still working on the texturing (as you can see i've some problem, uv mapping is really hard)

EDIT :

This post has been edited by Mikoo: May 31 2011, 03:06 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th July 2019 - 08:19 PM