Closed TopicStart new topic
> Fix The Damn Charleville
James Asner
post Aug 30 2010, 04:27 PM
Post #1

Captain

Group: Members
Member No.: 14,047

Someone do the Dev's work for them and fix the damn textures on the charleville. The lock, flint, bands and barrel are all wrong. It's ok to make them silver and clean. These men took great care in cleaning and maintaining their muskets.

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Forlorn_Hope
post Aug 30 2010, 04:41 PM
Post #2

Cat Herder in Chief
Group Icon

Group: BG Dev. Team
Member No.: 2,023

What are you on about?

--------------------
"There will be no more naked sunbathing." An actual rule for the base I was on, in the middle of Afghanistan.

"Forlorn basically said everything right." Codename:V

+Quote Post
hairypotter
post Aug 30 2010, 07:12 PM
Post #3

Part of the Big Five conspiracy
Group Icon

Group: Retired Team Members
Member No.: 3,585

--------------------
fa⋅ce⋅tious  [fuh-see-shuhs] –adjective
1. not meant to be taken seriously or literally: a facetious remark.
2. amusing; humorous.
3. lacking serious intent; concerned with something nonessential, amusing, or frivolous: a BG2 developer.

+Quote Post
James Asner
post Aug 30 2010, 08:28 PM
Post #4

Captain

You half ass your way through a mod, why not half ass your response to this post. Your charleville musket textures are shit. Get it? Why is barrel black? It's not even an iron black. It looks like rock, or coal. The bands that hold the barrel, why the fuck are they black? And the lock, black. It's just lazy and ugly. This was a beautiful fucking musket and the soldiers, say what you will about the French, took care of them. Oiled, cleaned, shined and polished. Why is the mod leader letting things like this slip?

--------------------

+Quote Post
gRanTeLbArT
post Aug 30 2010, 08:37 PM
Post #5

aaaaaa | TRR scream team
Group Icon

Member No.: 3,115

Either you are a troll, or your graphics settings and brightness must be very very wrong. The charleville isn't black at all - neither the wood nor the metal parts. Check your graphics first before telling someone to "fix the damn textures".

--------------------
The Elders have foreseen victory this day!
Member of the TRR scream team.

+Quote Post
Forlorn_Hope
post Aug 30 2010, 09:18 PM
Post #6

Cat Herder in Chief
Group Icon

You are, of course, welcome to make another texture if you so desire it, however, as you may realize, our resources are not exactly infinite. Basically, what you're saying is the musket isn't shiny enough for your tastes, that's what I'm getting out of it. So, sit down, and put together a new texture.

Now, drop the attitude.

--------------------
"There will be no more naked sunbathing." An actual rule for the base I was on, in the middle of Afghanistan.

+Quote Post
Danihel
post Aug 30 2010, 09:34 PM
Post #7

Lieutennant
Group Icon

Member No.: 3,538

PM Gouldins about your graphics settings, he's pretty knowledgeable about this kind of stuff.

+Quote Post
Quite Churlishly
post Aug 30 2010, 09:47 PM
Post #8

Towne Crier

Member No.: 5,548

I have to wear sunglasses when I use the Charleville

--------------------
Openly admitting to being a "troll" and I hate children. Just saying!

+Quote Post
Forlorn_Hope
post Aug 30 2010, 10:01 PM
Post #9

Cat Herder in Chief
Group Icon

I think he wants the barrel to look more like:

But, to the best of my knowledge, we don't actually have a texture for shiny metal.

--------------------

+Quote Post
James Asner
post Aug 31 2010, 12:42 AM
Post #10

Captain

Ok. All the trolls have had their say. Now, anyone that can feel shame want to respond?

--------------------

+Quote Post
Nathan Hale
post Aug 31 2010, 01:10 AM
Post #11

Original BG First Release Player
Group Icon

Group: Admin
Member No.: 124

Let's see, you come here and order the dev team to "fix the damn" texture, saying that the metal should be bright and shiny. Then when someone suggests you check your graphics, you rant some more. My troll friend, have you ever handled a muzzle loading fire arm? BG is about history, not "pimp my musket".

The truth is they weren't bright. Black gunpowder is a highly corrosive mix and even when a black powder fire arm is properly cleaned, it usually results in a dull gray color, with bits of black or brown corrosion often popping up from extended exposure to the elements and the powder fouling.

But the Americans operated a cut rate operation largely-- these Charlevilles were French surplus, pushed mainly through the French government by Vergennes (with much prompting from Beaumarchais). The French basically sent old stuff from the French and Indian War, stuff that had dulled down and corroded in some cases. The Americans cleaned them up as best the could given their limited means at the time. The result would have been a clearly well-used weapon showing dullness and wear to the metal parts.

The other thing to remember is that we're talking bare metal, steel. Truly shiny steel, like the stuff in Fope's image, results from modern manufacturing and polishing processes in factories. The true weapons were hand-made and would have developed an aged and very dull look quickly, with exposure to the elements and corrosive black powder. Truly shiny metal on muzzleloaders comes mostly from extensive cleaning with modern chemicals and cleaning solutions, followed by modern gun oil.

If you feel the urge to hit the "post" button from now on, just do us all a favor and PM Gouldins instead. He has all the information about "musket of power". The two of you ought to write a book about this.

Closed

--------------------

+Quote Post

Closed TopicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 5th December 2019 - 08:59 PM