> Map Feedback: Harbourtown, Foothills, Dusk Patrol, tell me what you think
gRanTeLbArT
post Jan 6 2009, 07:35 PM
Post #1

aaaaaa | TRR scream team
Group Icon

Group: Retired Team Members
Member No.: 3,115

I would like to encourage everyone to give feedback on all bg2 maps, especially Harbourtown, Foothills, Dusk Patrol, as I am revising every single one of them between releases.
For the maps mentioned I still have not made a decision what to do or if even to do anything.

--------------------
The Elders have foreseen victory this day!
Member of the TRR scream team.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
izzysinz
post Jan 6 2009, 09:12 PM
Post #2

Lieutennant

Group: Members
Member No.: 6,934

I find harbourtown more of an artistic piece than a playable factor.

My clan have had countless fun on that map playing hide and seek and assasination game modess but also we found a strange water exploit where instead of dying you can kind of surf the water. Very good for target practice.

Foothills i like but i reckon a few Log barricades in the middle of the map would do wonders. Simple enough to do.

I believe someone brought up something about Pillage having revised flag capping times?

+Quote Post
gRanTeLbArT
post Jan 9 2009, 06:17 PM
Post #3

aaaaaa | TRR scream team
Group Icon

I see this topic isnt really popular. But this is your chance to tell the developer who is in charge of 60% of the current maps what he should do, so dont hesitate if you have anything on your mind.

I will tell you what I do think about these maps.

Dusk_patrol is an unfinished map that is way to small and simple for CTF or flag capture, and could only be reused as LMS map or extended version of sq1.

Foothills. I (as author) hate the map. Playing is a pain with all the long rounds and nothing happening. Although I made it I absolutely do NOT enjoy playing. This is why I dont actually know what to do. The map geometry is very simple, the map isnt too pretty either. But people play it. I think some people do like it.

Harbourtown. This map had a bad start because the new entity it uses has a crashing issue in vanilla 1.2b and 1.2.1b servers. Only HPs bugfix server binaries make it playable, it mostly crashes on servers without. I do think it is a playable map. I will try to get some useful info before next release and possibly make some improvements that I already know of.

--------------------

+Quote Post
DivaBebopinYou
post Jan 9 2009, 06:48 PM
Post #4

The Real Sobe Pimp Daddy!

Member No.: 6,828

Harbourtown
This map is really nice, however, it lacks props. The thing is that if you are going to have all these places to walk inside buildings and roots to get from A to B and you don't have anyrthing like funiture in them, it makes it look plain, blan and dull. If you made it so that you can not go into the buildings then it would be a good map. But, thats why this games needs props, to have something like funiture of that time period to give it a good feel. The other thing is that their are way!!!!!!!!!! to many flags and the current flag hug really makes it annoying when you have more then four flags. Having something like 7 or more flags with long names would just block your view ingame. (But, other then that, it would be a good map if some changes were done to the map or to the game itself).

All the other maps that are Official are really good as they are setup. I would like to see these maps maybe in CTF mode and LMS mode as well. I would find that really cool so that maybe we could play the maps 3 times in 3 different modes. HEH. or maybe a server would only host LMS only or CTF only or the normal CP style only. That is just what I was thinking. Even could have some progression maps (i.e. campain mode).

Thats my input of what I think.

--------------------

+Quote Post
{22nd} Sol
post Jan 9 2009, 07:16 PM
Post #5

Captain

Member No.: 7,000

Foothills usually results in extended firefights, people not willing to break cover. I think a completely new LMS map for the next release wouldn't be a bad idea, still focusing on a single choke point but just mixing it up a bit more.
Imo dusk patrol is one of the worst maps in bg atm, its boring to play, and far too open. Harbourtown is beautiful but unless your server is packed far too big, although it usually crashes with a full server.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Jackson
post Jan 9 2009, 07:30 PM
Post #6

Vampire Pimp

Member No.: 6,707

Harbourtown
I suppose it would be cool for mucking around, playing hide n' seek or something to that effect, but as a regular map it's just too confusing a map. Too many routes.

And there's the matter of the disfunctional skybox...

Foothills
With some more cover in the middle of the map, it could be fun to play as a deathmatch. Now it's just target practice for snipers.

Dusk Patrol
Same as Foothills

I'm personally a fan of New England and I would like to have it back.

I hope my criticism is constructive.

--------------------

+Quote Post
3DDEATH
post Jan 9 2009, 10:08 PM
Post #7

Major

Member No.: 2,430

Well My own personal thoughts is how we all Miss bg1, and the great maps it had, lexington, valley, battlefield, Ticonderoga. Well here we are in the new BG2 where we can make maps look almost like the times and not so Cartoonish. Harbourtown is a great map but designed to me for 64 players not 20. Dusk partol needs something. Look at it this way, 100% still like AMBUSH, why, because its a great fighting map. So maybe think like ambush and all will be Happy but NOT castle.

--------------------

QUOTE (gRanTeLbArT @ Aug 25 2007, 02:47 PM) *
I will tell you what I think, this is horrible. Like all the other remakes of BG1 maps. There is a reason why we do not do that in any form. Do not bother to remake old bg1 maps. BG1 was a totally different game as draco pointed out and the maps are not going to work out on BG2.

Rejoice in thy youth,soon it will be gone

+Quote Post
Nathan Hale
post Jan 12 2009, 04:55 PM
Post #8

Original BG First Release Player
Group Icon

Group: Admin
Member No.: 124

QUOTE(3DDEATH @ Jan 9 2009, 05:08 PM) *
Well My own personal thoughts is how we all Miss bg1, and the great maps it had, lexington, valley, battlefield, Ticonderoga. Well here we are in the new BG2 where we can make maps look almost like the times and not so Cartoonish. Harbourtown is a great map but designed to me for 64 players not 20. Dusk partol needs something. Look at it this way, 100% still like AMBUSH, why, because its a great fighting map. So maybe think like ambush and all will be Happy but NOT castle.

As an aside, we're looking into BG2 ports of some of the old BG1 maps.

We're having a hard time tracking down the source for them, but we do know about how fun some of those old BG1 maps were.

--------------------

+Quote Post
bombodrom
post Jan 14 2009, 12:34 AM
Post #9

Admiral

Member No.: 11,339

i dont like LMS maps, but more BGL playable maps would be awesome

HARBOURTOWN its to big and i don't like the flags in the houses

DUSK PATROL is a nice map but i think this one needs a third

FOOTHILLS is a f... lms map. just camping snipers ....

This post has been edited by bombodrom: Jan 14 2009, 12:37 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Semorph
post Jan 27 2009, 03:06 PM
Post #10

Mapper

Member No.: 6,759

bg_harbourtown

In my opinion, this map is to large, but fixing that might be more work then its worth.
but heres some other bugs I found.

http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh241/S...ourtown0004.jpg
The lighmaps (I think) on the powder barrels is always messed up, looks shiny. if this is only a problem for me, my apologies.

http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh241/S...ourtown0009.jpg
The fire is too big in one of the houses, it overwhelms the fireplace. after the orange-box update, fire minimum size was raised :\

http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh241/S...ourtown0001.jpg
All the doors have a "master lock" on them... and this one opens backwards..

http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh241/S...ourtown0014.jpg
Players can (although I haven't seen anyone else find this) use this windowsill and barn roof to get up on the whole roof network all the way to the American spawn. It usually takes a few tries, but is possible with the soldier class.

http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh241/S...ourtown0010.jpg
last one, this texture is not scaled properly from the 3d skybox. the displacement is lined up perfectly and so its simple just to do a quick scale of the texture.(the skybox should be 1/16 of the non skybox texture size)

Aside from that though, I liked the map smile.gif

--------------------
- Semorph

+Quote Post
Commander James
post Jan 27 2009, 03:37 PM
Post #11

Da-MiGhTy

Member No.: 2,523

mainly every bg2 map is bad except a few like bg_townguard and other maps where i dont know the names

just copy the maps from bg1 to bg2 they were just wonderful to play in bgl and also in public servers

grantel du kannst doch sowas machen mit maps auch wenn dein bg_depot schwul war machmal bg_newengland <3
oh btw do less maps but more quality for the maps 6 or 8 maps for the next version would be perfect when this maps are good balanced and good playable

This post has been edited by Commander James: Jan 27 2009, 03:41 PM

--------------------
YOUR LOVE MAKES ME STRONG. YOUR HATE MAKES ME UNSTOPPABLE.

+Quote Post
gRanTeLbArT
post Jan 27 2009, 05:47 PM
Post #12

aaaaaa | TRR scream team
Group Icon

QUOTE(Semorph @ Jan 27 2009, 04:06 PM) *
bg_harbourtown
but heres some other bugs I found.

The lighmaps (I think) on the powder barrels is always messed up, looks shiny. if this is only a problem for me, my apologies.

The fire is too big in one of the houses, it overwhelms the fireplace. after the orange-box update, fire minimum size was raised :\

All the doors have a "master lock" on them... and this one opens backwards..

Players can (although I haven't seen anyone else find this) use this windowsill and barn roof to get up on the whole roof network all the way to the American spawn. It usually takes a few tries, but is possible with the soldier class.

last one, this texture is not scaled properly from the 3d skybox. the displacement is lined up perfectly and so its simple just to do a quick scale of the texture.(the skybox should be 1/16 of the non skybox texture size)

Thanks for the feedback, I can tell however that I dont think the map is too big - it just has too many flags in my opinion, from what I have found so far.
Regarding the bugs,

- there is no convenient way to mirror the textures as they are on the door, although it is possible that I will do sometime. They were just copy/pasted from place to place and retextured
- the lightmaps on the powder barrels are fine. In fact it is the reflective metal texture that is either too reflective or the nearest cubemap is in a brighter area. You cannot choose which cubemap a model texture uses, it will always be the nearest one. All reflective models would thus require a dedicated cubemap nearby, which may not be the case with some of the models but can certainly be fixed. Then again I dont think this really is so much too bright
- the fire is a well-known problem that we cant fix
- the quirk texture scaling - I dont know if I knew of this or if this was possibly even intentional - I dont have a problem with switching texture scales even on surfaces that are aligning. There may be good reasons to use higher or lower texture scales for 3D skyboxes, though certainly not for the cobbles. If you look to the left and right you will see that the snowy hills use an even larger scale. It is also possible that texture scale could not be translated 1:1 because it was not dividable through the 3d skybox scale factor, like .50 through 16. You can enter values like 0.3125 (the exact result), but I tend not to.

I will look into the problems with the roof. Although I am fairly sure there should be a clip brush in between the barn and the building. That could be part of the problem, if it is not tall enough and you can actually jump onto it.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Nathan Hale
post Jan 28 2009, 05:55 AM
Post #13

Original BG First Release Player
Group Icon

Group: Admin
Member No.: 124

QUOTE(Commander James @ Jan 27 2009, 10:37 AM) *
mainly every bg2 map is bad except a few like bg_townguard and other maps where i dont know the names

just copy the maps from bg1 to bg2 they were just wonderful to play in bgl and also in public servers

grantel du kannst doch sowas machen mit maps auch wenn dein bg_depot schwul war machmal bg_newengland <3
oh btw do less maps but more quality for the maps 6 or 8 maps for the next version would be perfect when this maps are good balanced and good playable

One of our projects for the next release, with the help of some mappers we've met, is to do a series of BG1 map remakes. I haven't played them yet, and most aren't done. However some of the classic BG1 maps may well be reborn in the next release. I can say that they won't be 100% the same as the originals because HL1 is a different game altogether (not all of the old map features will work properly in BG2), but they will indeed try to bring back some of the classic features. I can't speak more specifically because it's too soon and I can't guarantee what will happen with them, but we are indeed looking back to some of the classics to hopefully have them join BG the BG 2 materials.

I just thought I'd let the BG1 map fans know that we're not ignoring the classics. Don't take this as a promise though-- we have to see how the finished products come out.

Other than that, please keep this thread limited to Grantelbart's stuff, as he requested feedback for his specific works.

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd October 2017 - 06:16 AM