Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Weekend Beta Test
The Battle Grounds Forums > Battle Grounds 2 Main > Beta Testers
Forlorn_Hope
I want to do a beta test this weekend, where different variables can be tested to see how things play out. I'm thinking Saturday, 12 noon-ish, EST time. Put your thoughts on if you can attend and what you think should be tested here.
analord
with this bg svn? or on a random bg2 server?
BIKA
1. Significant reduction of stamina penalties across the board and/or the complete removal of it.

2. Increase in the relative front/side/back speeds. Or an increase in side/back speeds over forward speed by much more so.

3. Very reduced smoke effect, maybe even testing BG2's old smoke particle effects to compare the effects on gameplay and FPS.
gRanTeLbArT
QUOTE (BIKA @ Jul 13 2011, 09:56 PM) *
3. Very reduced smoke effect, maybe even testing BG2's old smoke particle effects to compare the effects on gameplay and FPS.

I'd like to have an array of smoke options like we had before, a low, medium and high setting. Medium would be the smoke as is right now, higher would be more detailed, and lower would be slightly less detailed for people with bad computers. Maybe it's time to revive that idea?
BIKA
QUOTE (gRanTeLbArT @ Jul 13 2011, 09:23 PM) *
QUOTE (BIKA @ Jul 13 2011, 09:56 PM) *

I'd like to have an array of smoke options like we had before, a low, medium and high setting. Medium would be the smoke as is right now, higher would be more detailed, and lower would be slightly less detailed for people with bad computers. Maybe it's time to revive that idea?

Yea, I use one pretty good PC and one bad one.

And, the one that's bad, it just can't handle the smoke, goes from 30-40'ish fps to around 10. You just can't tell if you have a monster PC, but when it's not a "gaming rig," the smoke is just annoying.
Forlorn_Hope
In reference to SVN or random current build server: SVN.

In reference to:

2. Increase in the relative front/side/back speeds. Or an increase in side/back speeds over forward speed by much more so.

You mean that if the current forward speed is 1.95, and the others are .7 and .5, moving it to .9 and .8, or some such?
BIKA
I mean moving them all upward together in proportion.

Say, for example: If the forward speed is 1, side speed is .8, and the back speed .6. -- Increase each by .5

OR:

Moving the side/back speeds up by .6 and the foward only .3.

So, on a kind of 2:1 ratio or whichever in regards to what "feels" right overall.
Koach
im sure BIKA here will rage at this, but as im pro towards the historical accuracy thing, im gonna say it.

what if instead of totally fucking up the smoke effects, why dont we just reduce the time till it vanishes? im saying this because its pretty annoying in line battles to discharge the gun and then not be able to see shit for 10 seconds.
we can actually reduce the effect a little, but if we do it too much it wont feel like if you were shooting a musket. maybe reducing the effect by 40% of the current and the time till it vanishes by 60% might help out, and still have that realistic feeling.
Forlorn_Hope
I think Grantel's idea of having variable smoke settings client-side would take care of that issue.
BIKA
QUOTE (santi koach @ Jul 13 2011, 10:52 PM) *
im sure BIKA here will rage at this, but as im pro towards the historical accuracy thing, im gonna say it.

what if instead of totally fucking up the smoke effects, why dont we just reduce the time till it vanishes? im saying this because its pretty annoying in line battles to discharge the gun and then not be able to see shit for 10 seconds.
we can actually reduce the effect a little, but if we do it too much it wont feel like if you were shooting a musket. maybe reducing the effect by 40% of the current and the time till it vanishes by 60% might help out, and still have that realistic feeling.

Lol...

I agree with you. Whenever i've played LB you have to just shoot into the smoke not knowing exactly where you're aiming, or if the other team moves out of that position, it's just pointless.

I think the smoke is a nice feature, don't get me wrong. But, when it was introduced I think the last version or two back it was complete overkill for some machines. This isn't some new complaint, either.

It kind of doesn't "ruin" clan-matches, but it makes things kind of stupid. In narrow passageways or on a bridge or so that you HAVE to go over or where a flag is a small area. The smoke will just cover the whole thing up, and what ends up happening basically 90% of the time is players from both teams just kind of sitting there waiting for it to go away. Either that or the guy with a better PC just runs through it and kills you.
analord
I know there was the alt mod for bg which had reduced smoke. I think grantel meant that
klifsnider
For some reason smoke is a lot more opaque on dxlevel 81 since 2.0...
I had the same problem, but changed to a higher dxlevel shortly after 2.0 was released, and the smoke doesn't block my view at all anymore.
Forlorn_Hope
Hour and a half from now, we'll kick this test. 12 Noon, EST.
Forlorn_Hope
OK, our SVN server seems to be down. Is there anyone with space on a box that can set up an SVN server for tomorrow?
gRanTeLbArT
This thread is invaded by the weapons of doom

PS:

Nice ironsights

irish_thomas
I learned Belgium servers suux
irish_thomas
Just to verify,
In the next patch we have floating guns,drunken Indian aiming,dual-welding militias and French dudes?
gRanTeLbArT
The dual wield was due the gun stalking/floating with me. Anybody have a screenshot of that? It's like a crossover of rambo and mel gibson.
irish_thomas
QUOTE (gRanTeLbArT @ Jul 16 2011, 06:29 PM) *
The dual wield was due the gun stalking/floating with me. Anybody have a screenshot of that? It's like a crossover of rambo and mel gibson.

I've the floating gun on my profile(steam)
gRanTeLbArT
New feature:
Floating guns that avenge your death

(thanks for the screenshot irish)
irish_thomas
QUOTE (gRanTeLbArT @ Jul 16 2011, 06:43 PM) *
New feature:
Floating guns that avenge your death

(thanks for the screenshot irish)

Is that 1 of the perks mentioned by laBelle
Forlorn_Hope
It was a Gouldins suggestion.
Koach
i read here that people were complaining about the smoke effects, so i took the liberty of recording this:

Smoke Comparison Video

Thumbs up if you prefer 1.5a
Thumbs down if you prefer 2.0

DONT RAGE AT THIS.
gRanTeLbArT
I don't see much of a difference.
Im_So_Cool_Retart
I don't think I can contain it for much longer..
Koach
then let it go, stop containing...
Cpl.Kieth
Don't make him destroy you.
Tjoppen
FYI, the weapons sticking around forever as well as the longpattern sights were fixed yesterday.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2019 Invision Power Services, Inc.